The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Apparently they recon that Peterson will relinquish the belts and then a rematch won't take place, it said something like that on the suns website anyway

Anyone watching the boxing tonight? Cruiserweight title up for grabs and sexton is fighting as well

Yeah the sexton fight is the one I'm watching for tonight as well

That first fight was pretty good man, solid performance from the kid considering it was his first pro fight, only 19 as well

Can't remember his name now but it began with a G

Some decent fights coming up over the next few months on box nation

Just watched the Mayweather-Ortiz fight....Why the f*ck didn't Ortiz protect himself after Mayweather "cheap shotted" him with the left hook? He just stood there and took the KO punch....

Maybe a deal has been struck for a rematch .. the IBF belt wouldnt have been on the table as things stood , this way te rematch is for both belts

And I guess this way Peterson gets to keep the win rather than it being a no contest ??

BBC say they have spoken to Peterson and he says his team have not agreed to a rematch.

Golden Boy have said they will release a statement within the hour.

Maybe a deal has been struck for a rematch .. the IBF belt wouldnt have been on the table as things stood , this way te rematch is for both belts

And I guess this way Peterson gets to keep the win rather than it being a no contest ??

I don't think it was ever going to be a no contest. I suspect that may have been the reason they pulled the appeal, although we'll see what GBP have got to say...

Edit:

Golden Boy Promotions CEO Richard Schaefer said that he expressed concern to IBF President, Daryl Peoples, that the hearing was not going to offer Khan's side of the argument to be fairly expressed.

"You have certain officials who were going to be there telling their side of the story, and you have others which were not going to be there, and I think that the bottom line is that that would result in a one-sided story, and I have shared my views on this particular subject with the IBF President Daryl Peoples a couple of weeks ago," Schaefer told RingTV.com.

"I told him that if he was in fact going to have certain people there, and others not, then that does not sound to me as if there was a fully transparent meeting because only part of the story was going to to be told. So I to not see any reason to participate in such a process. That's basically what it is."

Schaefer did not elaborate on the specifics of his assertion.

"It would have been a one-sided hearing where not all of the parties would have been there to tell the story. It would have been there to tell the story. It would have been a one-sided story. They were going to include only partial representation of the fight's officials at the proposed IBF hearing," said Schaefer.

Yeah, I'm sticking with the theory that they knew they were going to lose and that pulling out would have looked better than the appeal being rejected.

• 3 weeks later...

Sonny Bill Williams gets punched at a press conference

Okay, it's hardly world level boxing but it is a somewhat interesting story. If you dont know, Sonny Bill Williams is a professional Rugby player, he is an international player in fact. While he doesnt start every game he was a member of the New Zealand squad who won the world cup a few months back. Seems insane that New Zealand would let one of their players moonlight as a professional boxer, especially as Rugby Union is almost a religion down there. What are the chances of an England Euro 2012 squad player being allowed to be a boxer over here? (If so, who would you pick and who would you put him in with? ;)) Curtis Woodhouse did it of course, but he had five minutes in the Premier League with Small Heath and has spent the most of his footballing career at non league clubs since he became a pro boxer.

Sonny Bill Williams gets punched at a press conference

Okay, it's hardly world level boxing but it is a somewhat interesting story. If you dont know, Sonny Bill Williams is a professional Rugby player, he is an international player in fact. While he doesnt start every game he was a member of the New Zealand squad who won the world cup a few months back. Seems insane that New Zealand would let one of their players moonlight as a professional boxer, especially as Rugby Union is almost a religion down there. What are the chances of an England Euro 2012 squad player being allowed to be a boxer over here? (If so, who would you pick and who would you put him in with? ;)) Curtis Woodhouse did it of course, but he had five minutes in the Premier League with Small Heath and has spent the most of his footballing career at non league clubs since he became a pro boxer.

I didn't know he was a boxer. He took that shot quite well to be fair.

The closest comparison I can think of that you didn't mention is the NFL player Tom Zbikowski who's had a few fights recently.

Rooney's a bit of a Boxing fan. I remember seeing him post on twitter while watching a fight saying what a certain fighter could improve on. I'm not sure Fergie would approve though! :shock:

$45 to see a celebrity pounding on another member of the bum of the month club? Unsustainable. I guess he might not want to be in the fight game for long, and this will do as a well paid adventure for 12 months, but what if somebody tells him he has a shot at becoming world ranked? Will he go for it?

Yeah, that will be the test of his hunger for the sport.

London (Feb 8.) Hennessy Sports have announced this morning that Tyson Fury has vacated his British and Commonwealth Heavyweight titles in pursuit of being a household name on his journey to become Heavyweight World Champion.

Mick Hennessy said "We have a great schedule in place for Tyson on Channel 5 and I'm not prepared to have that affected by other promoters, purse bids and titles. Fury vs. Price was a quality fight and in my opinion it should go out to the widest possible audience, that's why I offered David Price £100,000 to fight Tyson Fury on Channel 5, which unfortunately was rejected by his promoter on Monday.

"Tyson's next steps and further information will be announced over the next few days" added Mick

Tyson Fury said "It's been an honour to have won and held both the British and Commonwealth heavyweight titles, but as I'm now currently number 7 in the world it's time to move on.

"If David Price really believed he could beat me the smart move in my opinion would have been to take the great pay day that was offered by my promoter to appear on terrestrial TV."

"I'm really excited about my future plans as I'm doing things differently and currently training like a Trojan in pursuit of becoming heavyweight champion of the world." added Tyson.

That's a shame, but somewhat expected.

Â