The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

I can sort of see why he did it. I don't think he held that bottle and thought, "I'm gonna glass this punk ass fool" (he speaks like Mr T right?)

It was probably just instinct to start punching regardless of what he had in his hand.

Still naughty though.

I can sort of see why he did it. I don't think he held that bottle and thought, "I'm gonna glass this punk ass fool" (he speaks like Mr T right?)

It was probably just instinct to start punching regardless of what he had in his hand.

Still naughty though.

Which is pretty much how I see it.

Picking up the tripod though, that is just pathetic.

rite then enough of this pair of **** idiots

I see B-hop and Dawson are having their rematch on 26th april

gunna be shown on boxnation

this weekend is Cleverly v Karpency, Cleverly should absolutely piss that.

I fancy Hopkins in that one. Especially at the 3/1 being offered. Hopefully it isn't the stinker that the first was.

The Karpency fight looks like your standard Warren WBO defence. No doubt we'll have to listen to how Cleverly will be taking on the world after this fight. I'd have much preferred a Bellew rematch.

There are a few other good fights this weekend as well. Alexander vs Maidana on SKY and Povetkin vs Huck on Boxnation.

Ah I knew the maidana fight was coming up but didn't realise it was this weekend, is it on the same time as the cleverly fight? hope not cuz I can only record the same thing that I am watching because my sky + is shite

yeah that seems to be the way that box nation is going at the moment with the lineups, rather than having 3 or 4 big names on everynow and again like sky was doing with the english fighters they seem to be spreading them out far too much for my liking

get cleverley, groves and mitchel all on a best of brittish bill or something like that rather than having 1 a week fighting a nobody

Ah I knew the maidana fight was coming up but didn't realise it was this weekend, is it on the same time as the cleverly fight? hope not cuz I can only record the same thing that I am watching because my sky + is shite

yeah that seems to be the way that box nation is going at the moment with the lineups, rather than having 3 or 4 big names on everynow and again like sky was doing with the english fighters they seem to be spreading them out far too much for my liking

get cleverley, groves and mitchel all on a best of brittish bill or something like that rather than having 1 a week fighting a nobody

No, the Maidana fight will be in the early hours while Clev's should be about 10pm, I'm guessing.

Having them spread out doesn't bother me, the standard of opposition does. I did worry about this when Warren left SKY because I imagine there is virtually no quality control over him (not like that stopped the Burns defences anyway, though). The Karpency fight looks a shocker, and that Mitchell fight was poor too. Nothing wrong with the Groves-Anderson rematch for me, I'm actually quite looking forward to it.

thing is whilst I agree that he has got little chance of getting the decision Pac got beat quite clearly in his last fight for me.

I like Bradley I would like to see him do something and I think that Pac has been looking decidedly average in his last few fights

Following the Cleverly fight on Twitter. Seems like he is up against an utter bum.

It was a stinker.

Karpency shown absolutely no ambition and Clev really should have put him away. Enzo and Gavin won their fights with ease too.

Warren was talking about unifications and the like next. My money's on Maccarinelli.

I watched the Maidana - Alexander and the Broner - Perez fights yesterday. I thought Alexander was superb against Maidana. Mind you, I think Maidana is a limited fighter, technically at least. He is a beast physically and always has a punchers chance, but I think he is destined to always come up short against slick boxers like Khan and Alexander.

Broner on the other hand? He could be the next Naz, hugely entertaining, flashy, good at making mid ranking opposition look awful but will he be able to join the elite? It will be interesting to see. I thought he was superb this weekend, though I dont know too much about Perez other than he was unbeaten, but did he have a padded record?

I watched the Maidana - Alexander and the Broner - Perez fights yesterday. I thought Alexander was superb against Maidana. Mind you, I think Maidana is a limited fighter, technically at least. He is a beast physically and always has a punchers chance, but I think he is destined to always come up short against slick boxers like Khan and Alexander.

Broner on the other hand? He could be the next Naz, hugely entertaining, flashy, good at making mid ranking opposition look awful but will he be able to join the elite? It will be interesting to see. I thought he was superb this weekend, though I dont know too much about Perez other than he was unbeaten, but did he have a padded record?

Khan slick? Khan's one of the least slick boxers out there.

I was impressed by Alexander. He's made a lot of improvements to his game since the 'defeat' to Matthysse. There was a lot more snap in his jab and he controlled range much better with it. I'd like to see Maidana back down at 140, that's where he can use his physicality to the full extent. An all-argie fight with Matthysse would be good fun.

I've been quite critical of Broner in the past and when the bout with Burns was scheduled I gave Ricky a very good chance. Broner shown plenty of flaws in his fight against Ponce De Leon (which I thought he lost) and even in his last fight against Rodriguez. Saying that I thought he shown a lot of improvement against Perez and seems to be improving in every fight. I'd like to see him up against someone who he doesn't hold huge physical advantages over (unlike Perez). Outside of Uchiyama, which is a very unlikely bout, I don't see many fights for him in what is a poor division. A move up to Lightweight would probably get him some bigger money fights and he's certainly got the frame for it.

• 2 weeks later...
anyone watching the boxing?

the appleby fight was a proper good scrap, I must admit I had him down as losing that but it was close you cant argue with the decision either way it would have gone

I only caught the last couple of rounds so I can't really comment on the scoring but the body language from Appleby's team didn't suggest that they thought they had won.

Burns is boxing well so far. I've gave Moses just 1 from the first 7.

Â