The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

31 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

We don't know that, Whyte is hardly a massive puncher and he'll never be in position to land with full power against Fury. Fury would not get touched.

You would think this would be the case. And after watching 11 rounds with Wilder, most people would have said there'd be no way Wilder catches him clean. And he did. Such is heavyweight boxing, it needs one lapse in concentration or one lucky punch.

Seems ITV have signed a deal with Al Heymon/PBC which gives them rights to 15 shows per year starting next month with Uzcategui/Plant & Pacquiao/Broner both being shown free on ITV 4 :)

https://www.itv.com/news/2018-12-23/itv-announces-free-to-air-coverage-of-pacquiao-vs-broner/

https://www.itv.com/news/2018-12-11/itv-announce-groundbreaking-deal-with-haymon-sports-and-premier-boxing-champions/

ITV ANNOUNCES FREE TO AIR COVERAGE OF PACQUIAO V BRONER

TWO WORLD TITLE FIGHTS TO BE SHOWN FREE TO AIR ON ITV4 THIS JANUARY

JANUARY 13 - Jose Uzcategui v Caleb Plant for the IBF Super Middleweight World Championship]

JANUARY 19 - Manny Pacquiao v Adrien Broner for the WBA World Welterweight Title

ITV has announced live coverage of two world title fights in January 2019 under its new deal with Haymon Sports Premier Boxing Champions [PBC].

The two major events to be shown, free to air, on ITV4 on consecutive weekends, are the first under the new deal announced last week between ITV and PBC.

Up first is on Sunday, January 13, is Jose Uzcategui defending his IBF Super Middleweight WorldChampionship against unbeaten top challenger Caleb Plant. Coverage will come live from the Microsoft Theater in Los Angeles.

The following weekend, on 19 January, ITV4’s coverage will come live from Las Vegas where Manny Pacquiao will defend his WBA world welterweight title against Adrien Broner. The exclusive ITV4 coverage will also include the much-anticipated showdown between Badou Jack and Marcus Browne for the WBA Interim Light Heavyweight title.

In the first ITV4 event, undefeated Nashville-born Caleb Plant promises to present a serious test for Venezuelan Jose Uzcategui in the latter’s first title defence. The 27-year-old champion won his title with a ninth round TKO over Andre Dirrell inMarch, but 26-year-old Plant has not been beaten in 17 fights with 10knock-outs, becoming the number one contender with a unanimous decision win over Rogelio Medina.

The following week on ITV4, one of the biggest names in boxing, Manny Pacquiao steps up for the 70th fight of his career against Adrien Broner. Aged 40, Pacquiao will take on a man more than a decade his junior to defend the latest of the 11 world title belts he has held across eight divisions in his career.

Poxon Sport has been confirmed as the exclusive promoter of all UK PBC events on ITV. Richard Poxon of Poxon Sports, said: “This is an incredible opportunity for boxing and sports fans. On one hand we have a giant of UK broadcasting in ITV and on the other a giant of world boxing in Premier Boxing Champions. I'm looking forward to promoting all the fantastic PBC events in the UK on ITV. The quality of these first two free to air events should show UK fans exactly what they can expect to see over the length of this new deal, and they can expect more news in the following days about the first PBC UK boxing event.”

Last week ITV announced a ground-breaking new deal with Haymon Sports and Premier BoxingChampions (PBC) to bring exclusive coverage of exciting PBC world-class boxing events to ITV viewers and fight fans in the UK.

The unique collaboration is the first time that Haymon Sports and PBC has partnered with aUK broadcaster to stage boxing events regularly in the UK. The exclusive three-year deal will guarantee a minimum of 15 televised events each year, drawing from PBC’s unrivalled group of over 160 of the best boxers in the world, which includes more than 60 current and former world champions in matches staged both in the UK and the US. PBC, the sports’ pre-eminent boxing brand, is broadcast over cable and network television in the United States.

“This unprecedented deal between PBC and ITV is great news for boxing fans in the UK. We look forward to bringing viewers big events and superb action from some of the world’s best fighters in the coming years,” said Niall Sloane, ITV Director of Sport. The world-class action from events for the next three years will include free-to-air broadcasts on ITV’s channels, including ITV main channel and ITV4 and ITV Hub, and will also include pay per views on ITV’s PPV channel, ITV Box Office.

• Like 3

I thought the Charlo brothers got exposed last night . Nowhere near the level of triple G or Canelo or Jacobs for that matter. I thought the brother who fights at Middleweight was lucky to get the decision, but neither looked the World beaters they claim to be. Hurd must be gutted, missed out on a unification fight. Most likely he will move up a weight and fight that Charlo and going by last night's performance, he should"n't have too much to worry about.

The Frampton result was a little surprising, but maybe Warrington is a lot better than many thought. Saying that, Boxing Monthly predicted how it went, looks like the hunger has gone from Frampton and that's not an easy thing to recapture. Where does he go from here, that's the question ?

Edited by sheepyvillian
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, West said:

Fury will run rings around Whyte yes, but Whyte will rough him up, make it physical and if he connects we know Fury will go down. 

AJ v Whyte is also no foregone conclusion. 

Ultimately any of the top 4 (I now throw Dillian into the mix) can beat each other in my opinion. 

Fury got up from the hardest hitter in wilder and whyte hits nowhere near as hard as wilder. I'd be suprised if whyte can even catch fury.

I dont even think wilder will be able to hit fury. He struggled with fury having fought only two bums in 3 years. Fury will only get better and better.

Whyte stands little to now chance against fury or wilder. Has a slight chance against aj.

Wilder has just confirmed that he is fighting fury again for a rematch next NOT aj. 

Therefore I imagine  aj is fighting whyte next in april and we will get rematch primorion shived down our throats for bith fights.

Hopefully fury wins and then setups a fight vs aj for undisputed titles towards end of year. Then I think fury wins that as aj wont be able to touch fury.

It's funny that AJ is now getting frozen out of the biggest fight in the division. Doubt he'll be insisting on 80/20 this time when he gets a crack at Wilder or Joshua. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, The_Rev said:

It's funny that AJ is now getting frozen out of the biggest fight in the division. Doubt he'll be insisting on 80/20 this time when he gets a crack at Wilder or Joshua. 

He still has 3 of the 4 belts though. Your right though if wilder comes through the rematch and wins he can demand more. Aj rematch with whyte is still a huge fight.

Must remember the fury wilder fight never did numbers like ajs fight. The rematch will do very well

He'll not go hungry, but for the first time in a long time AJ is no longer the talk of his town and I think it's probably good for the sport.  AJ (or more realistically Eddie Hearn & co) have been obnoxious in negotiations and their bluff was called.  The inevitable fight against Whyte in April will do well, but it's not what they wanted.  I'm sure the winner of Fury - Wilder 2 will be fighting AJ at Wembley Stadium at some point too, but I dare say the crowd won't be as pro Joshua as it once would have been.  Maybe all this stuff doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things but it makes me a bit happier. 

• Like 2

AJ is in an awkward position. There are three top grade heavyweights out there and the other two are fighting each other - he risks becoming the one that hides, the one that's less relevant - he can fight second level heavyweights like Whyte or third level fighters like Povetkin, but he'll find returns diminish as his reputation becomes more and more tarnished. He needs to step up.

Warrington actually gave Frampton a bit of beating. Those cards flattered Carl a bit. Put my hands up, i got that horribly wrong. Warrington looked massive compared to Frampton in there. Don't think hunger was an issue for Frampton in this one as I've heard suggested. Sometimes you just come up against someone better in every department on the night and he was humble enough post fight to say as much. Horrible prospect Warrington, for anyone of the 126lb champions to fight. An uncomfortable nights work and i mean that with the height of respect. Didn't watch those other 2 hippos fight on sky. Don't care.

Edited by Johnnyp
Mistake
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Johnnyp said:

Warrington actually gave Frampton a bit of beating. Those cards flattered Carl a bit. Put my hands up, i got that horribly wrong. Warrington looked massive compared to Frampton in there. Don't think hunger was an issue for Frampton in this one as I've heard suggested. Sometimes you just come up against someone better in every department on the night and he was humble enough post fight to say as much. Horrible prospect Warrington, for anyone of the 126lb champions to fight. An uncomfortable nights work and i mean that with the height of respect. Didn't watch those other 2 hippos fight on sky. Don't care.

Frampton is a nice boxer but always poor defensively for me, very, very hit-able, just always open, he also has a tendency to start slow and hasn't found a way to overcome this. Has to be said, Jamie Moore is an horrific trainer, I have no idea what Frampton is doing with him.

Warrington is good, he'd be one hell of a boxer if he could punch. His pressure is excellent but does a lot of very clever things, including boxing well from the outside with a good jab, and using that jab to find ways inside for him to do his up close work. He fights very well on the inside and rarely smothers his own work. 

Frampton was visibly hurt twice in each of the first two rounds, he also said post fight that Warrington hurt him 'multiple' times, very worrying IMO, as I say, Warrington has zero power, doesn't bode well for Frampton going forward. Totally agree that the cards flatter Frampton btw, I saw it more like 117-111.

On 23/12/2018 at 19:04, sheepyvillian said:

I thought the Charlo brothers got exposed last night . Nowhere near the level of triple G or Canelo or Jacobs for that matter. I thought the brother who fights at Middleweight was lucky to get the decision, but neither looked the World beaters they claim to be. Hurd must be gutted, missed out on a unification fight. Most likely he will move up a weight and fight that Charlo and going by last night's performance, he should"n't have too much to worry about.

The Frampton result was a little surprising, but maybe Warrington is a lot better than many thought. Saying that, Boxing Monthly predicted how it went, looks like the hunger has gone from Frampton and that's not an easy thing to recapture. Where does he go from here, that's the question ?

The Charlo's are the definition of overprotected hype jobs, they're awful, I thought Harrington won his fight, despite the claims of a robbery and Mat Korobov was robbed in his fight, they're both shite.

54 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

The Charlo's are the definition of overprotected hype jobs, they're awful, I thought Harrington won his fight, despite the claims of a robbery and Mat Korobov was robbed in his fight, they're both shite.

Tony Harrison boxed a brilliant fight and deservedly won. Korobov lost in my opinion. Close. But he lost.

Broner arrested again in Florida over the weekend (has since been released but will not be the end of it) for outstanding warrants relating to speeding & driving with no license & insurance last year and failure to appear in court multiple times now regarding this. He is also being sued for just over $2million by a jewellers that he has failed to pay for over a million $ of jewellery he had from them more than a year ago, he has paid off 100,000k but all subsequent cheques have failed to clear and they are now rather annoyed with him

6 hours ago, LakotaDakota said:

Broner arrested again in Florida over the weekend (has since been released but will not be the end of it) for outstanding warrants relating to speeding & driving with no license & insurance last year and failure to appear in court multiple times now regarding this. He is also being sued for just over $2million by a jewellers that he has failed to pay for over a million $ of jewellery he had from them more than a year ago, he has paid off 100,000k but all subsequent cheques have failed to clear and they are now rather annoyed with him

One of the most unlikable boxers ever. I can't stand that cretin. I hope pac man destroys him.

I think Pacquiao has a great chance of knocking him out TBH, he looked spectacular against Matthysee and whilst Broner has a very solid chin I think he'll be getting hit far too much and it will get stopped. Pacquiao still has very fast hands, power and very good angles, it's his legs that have slowed down the most, this means he'll be planting his feet more. Obviously his age is a risk but Broner has declined more rapidly than Pacquiao has.

The Mayweather thing is due up sometime in the next 45 mins if anyone cares.

People seem to be making a fuss about it/him being hours late, not sure why as his is the last fight of what was originally a 20 card fight and due to finish shortly before midnight just in time for new year (it is currently 10.46 in Japan)

Bonkers really, down 3 times in little over a minute (plus twice almost going down). Literally looked like a man fighting a young boy.

Not sure how the Japanese kid is world champion clearly can’t take a hit.

Â