The "Witton Lane" Boxing Chat Thread

Dr_Pangloss

Just now, villa89 said:

More posts in here on the Paul vs Fury "fight" than any real boxing match ever. Says a lot about modern society and shows that there will be a lot more of this type of thing the future.

Its more the fact we are discussing how shit paul is and how most of us were right

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Demitri_C said:

Its more the fact we are discussing how shit paul is and how most of us were right

Doesn't matter, that's all part of the selling point. Nobody cares that you were right, obviously Paul is shyte, he's a YouTuber not a boxer. It's like newspaper columnists who deliberately write contrarian articles or say something outrageous. You generate more interest and that's all that matters. You get boxing fans versus his YouTube fans fighting about it on the internet, which creates hype which creates PPV sales which creates money. It's all been done before. I'm just baffled how people get sucked into it. If that Paul vs Fury "fight" was in my back garden I wouldn't pull the curtains to look at it. I've no interest at all because it's WWE, not sport to me.

But if people enjoy then then let them fire away, there's no harm being done with these type of entertainment events. Apart from diminishing boxing's already damaged image. 

7 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Doesn't matter, that's all part of the selling point. Nobody cares that you were right, obviously Paul is shyte, he's a YouTuber not a boxer. It's like newspaper columnists who deliberately write contrarian articles or say something outrageous. You generate more interest and that's all that matters. You get boxing fans versus his YouTube fans fighting about it on the internet, which creates hype which creates PPV sales which creates money. It's all been done before. I'm just baffled how people get sucked into it. If that Paul vs Fury "fight" was in my back garden I wouldn't pull the curtains to look at it. I've no interest at all because it's WWE, not sport to me.

But if people enjoy then then let them fire away, there's no harm being done with these type of entertainment events. Apart from diminishing boxing's already damaged image. 

You might not care but to alot of people they do care and get satisfaction out of him losing and getting beaten.

Its just like you replying you care hence why you felt the need to reply. Same with the people discussing the fight.

I agree with most of your post though how we do get suckered in  thats good PR and being able to sell the fight. Same with eddie hearn. A detestable human being but knows how to promote fights. 

Your also right boxings image is damaged. If paul won i would expected hearn straight on the phone to him and try leech off him make himself more money

Just now, fightoffyour said:

The most baffling thing for me is not people watching it out of morbid curiosity (there could have been an unfortunate injury after all or a meteor strike), but presumably some people paying to watch it.

Cost of living crisis and still people paid £20 to watch those pair fight… 

3 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

However you flip it. It takes a certain amount of courage to go inside those ropes and let your hands go.

Yup.

And Jake Paul may well be a YouTube celebrity, but he's just fought someone who has dedicated their (albeit young) life to boxing.  He's obviously not entirely shit at boxing.

2 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

Begs the question do people actually pay, and how many. And how many compared to say Usyk vs Johshua.

It would be interesting to see the numbers. Also what the best guess is for people who watched but didn’t pay. I assume far more watched illegally than legally. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, KentVillan said:

The thing that bothers me about these fights is people say they help to attract new fans to boxing. But how? The quality is so bad, it’s like getting into football by watching Soccer Aid. Wouldn’t it put you off if anything?

Didn't watch, but people seem to be saying the undercard was good.  Therefore, people watching for Jake Paul may well have seen that and thought "quite like this boxing stuff, actually".

• Like 1

3 hours ago, villa89 said:

More posts in here on the Paul vs Fury "fight" than any real boxing match ever. Says a lot about modern society and shows that there will be a lot more of this type of thing the future.

To be fair, in any other sport other than football if YouTubers or celebrities started participating, their VT threads would get far more posts about that.

I love F1, but the F1 thread is hardly full of prolific posters.

If KSI suddenly started racing for Ferrari out of nowhere then I'm sure a load of people who don't usually post in there would suddenly contribute and the thread would have loads of posts about it

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

At least this fight got viewers.

Floyd Mayweather fought a bloke from Geordie Shore on Saturday and nobody turned up

2000 apparently in a 20,000 seater. Allegedly the ticketing companies were calling people and offering them tickets for just the admin fee.

Boxing is in danger of becoming a WWE style joke, 5 years ago it felt like it was riding the crest of a wave. I don’t know what’s happened exactly but it can’t be overlooked that the downturn has coincided with the introduction of the social media rocket polishers.

5 hours ago, bobzy said:

Yup.

And Jake Paul may well be a YouTube celebrity, but he's just fought someone who has dedicated their (albeit young) life to boxing.  He's obviously not entirely shit at boxing.

I have to be honest, that social media celebrity World, at times, is pretty hard to stomach. It really does put the C into "cringe".

1 hour ago, bannedfromHandV said:

2000 apparently in a 20,000 seater. Allegedly the ticketing companies were calling people and offering them tickets for just the admin fee.

Boxing is in danger of becoming a WWE style joke, 5 years ago it felt like it was riding the crest of a wave. I don’t know what’s happened exactly but it can’t be overlooked that the downturn has coincided with the introduction of the social media rocket polishers.

Most of the big fights are almost WWE anyway.

Sure the fighting is real, but all the circus around the build up is complete **** nonsense. All made up smack talk designed to create rivalries that don’t exist

• Like 2

Â