PL: West Ham a Ratings & Reactions

limpid

Thought the ref favoured us until the penalty

Thought Young was playing a blinder until he wrongly was chosen to take the penalty. (petrov\oneill decision)

Thought Carew should of got on Young's cross ;)

Though that I wrong about about Gabby, I'm not.

Know that when we spend some proper money on forwards we will have a team.

Team looked tired. Late goals are always hard to take but the bottom line is it was a point dropped in the last minute not 2 or 3.

Give the team a chance to respond on Saturday before hammering them. 4th away game in 12 days, cut them some slack

CVByrne: Villa will have to respond v Bolton, its now not a question of see how we get on v Bolton its just become a must win, there has to be teams that MON will have penciled in that this is a definite 3 pointer away, we have to win away games if we have any chance, and we have to beat lesser sides, come the business end of the season teams like Liverpool and Cheslea won't slip up again, a team like West Ham 19th should have been a 3 pointer, any team is only as good as its last game, same could be said for any manager, that's not a swipe at MON, he would have expected to win tonight.

Heskey: not just a question of how can we complain about the player he was only on for part of the game, fact is he shouldn't have been afforded the place to start with, he took up a valuable spot that some canny tactics could have been employed, no good saying he was played out of position either, he don't perform when he's in position, i seriously can't rate this player, how can anybody give the player a rating when he doesn't play for the club.

Carew: I think this is one of a few who are clearly showing that as soon as Jan turns the corner they will be of.

Ashely Young 6

Gabby Agbonlahor 5

Dunne 5

Petrov 5

Collins 5

Friedal 6

Few others 5 etc.

It will be pointless having a top striker in our team with our current midfield though. What service would he feed on? Sidwell and Petrov never create goals (or score them), Milner works hard but isn't creative and Ashley Young can't beat a man or cross a ball to save his life. We rely on set pieces which for a team worth over 100m is piss poor.

One of the worst things is i'm not even surprised we lost to the 19th placed team who had won once all season. Over 100m spent and i expected us to lose.

You can not keep playing like that and create **** all and still win matches.

Poor at Wolves, poor at Sunderland, poor at Everton, poor tonight. Same failings in each game, no creativity, yet nothing changes.

Let's hope nothing changes and we continue to finish a very nice 6th place then.

That's not the point. Yes of course sixth is nice, and is a great achievement but if we want to finish top four the way we are playing at the moment is not and never will be good enough. Additionally, the our style of football is dire to watch.

Everton finished 4th playing far worse football with a far worse team, it happens.

Slightly worrying tonight. Even this early into the season, a few injuries, the shifting round of a few players and we look exhausted and out of ideas. We seem to be plagued by a really complacent, not bothered attitude against the lower teams in the league, there was absolutely no hunger tonight, no urgency and with the chance to go 4th and really show the league we can actually do something this season, there looked like a few players who don't seem up to the job. There had been signs at Wolves and Sunderland and i was hoping the horrendously out of form Carew, Heskey and Young may start to show signs of turning it around tonight, clearly not. It's not the end of the world though, a win on the weekend with the return of Milner and Cuellar should prove to be really important and hopefully lift us back on track. If we carry on showing this type of attitude away from home though against the likes of West Ham and Blackburn, who are both very poor, the losses will just build up and into a very average season.

I thought Petrov, Warnock and Gabby did ok, Young was lively but as ever his delivery was very poor. Everyone else, tired and didn't wanna be there.

It was a late goal after 4 consecutive away games. We played excellent in the 1st half and a poor ref decision changed the game, then we got tired.

That is the game right there. Wait till we play Bolton before making judgement on the team so far. Downing is needed in centre midfield though.

It was a late goal after 4 consecutive away games. We played excellent in the 1st half and a poor ref decision changed the game, then we got tired.

That is the game right there. Wait till we play Bolton before making judgement on the team so far. Downing is needed in centre midfield though.

We weren't just poor tonight though, we were poor in every one of those 4 away games.

I'm as disappointed as the next bloke about tonight, but I would refer you to the fact that last season, we lost away to Newcastle and then at home to Boro, both teams we 'should' have beaten, while playing some pretty below-par football, and then we won 2-0 at the Emirates and didn't lose again until Chelsea beat us the following February.

I'm not suggesting that we'll do that again, but I'm just pointing out that no matter how bad you think we might be playing, it might just take one result to lift the whole season and really put some distance between us and the new pretenders. If we, the team and the management learn from tonight then we might have nothing to complain about in a couple of months time.

First half

I think we started out nicely and controlled the game well. Like we were the home team in fact, even though I am extremely glad we are not playing on this narrow pitch at this pathetic stadium every week. They do not even have the time and place for people to take decent corners, which **** us bigtime in a way since it's our main goal threat. Anyway, we control the game without creating many real chances. Petrov with a good effort and Carew with a nice turn (and rubbish finish) could have meant 0-1 in our favor. West Ham lacks in midfield and give Sidwell room to control the ball which in itself is a testiment that you are doing something very wrong. Then Hines, obviously offside, gets past Beye and tries to score before being tackled fairly by the ex-Newcastle right back and the ball ends up safely in the hands of Friedel. Surreal as it seems at the time, Bennett orders a penalty and they score. Incredible situation and just sums up this referee. Instead of taking the piss after they score he books two of our players, including Collins for saying one or two words to the linesman. Incredible stuff from the refs, giving us a hard task. All in all, gutted we are down but optimistic given a good attacking drive from the lads, especially the midfield.

And; they have just lost two of their best players, we were in for a joyride.

Second half

I was confident at put 100 quid on us to score first and 20 quid on us to win. Collins is awarded the penalty, which probably was a gift given Bennett's obvious sneak peak at the first half penalty during half-time. It WAS a penalty though, Collins was standing tall when this guy flies over him. It was a strange situation, but non the less one you can defend. I guess not many referees would give it, but the rules are there if you ask men. He comes flying in with his boots in the height of Collins' head and that's justified. Stupid penalty from a man who certainly isn't a good penalty taker. Why not give it to Carew? He is a striker, he has taken them before and we all know goals boost the confidence of a striker! Luckily, we score right afterwards and I expected a show from our guys. Instead, we falter like a house of cards. No passion, no drive, no commitment, no belief, no guts, no chances, no nothing. No subs? Of course no subs, MON doesn't like doing them. Except Reo-Coker, but Heskey was injured right before half-time. Why did you buy Delph if you don't want to play him? Even against relegation fodder... Beats me, I am obviously not a manager. Well, I expected a few chances going our way but it was actually West Ham that created the stuff. The goal was a result of us going down to ten men, which was a result of a wrong decision in the first half - but tough love guys, three defenders should be able to trample down one lousy, skinny player. We failed, the tactics failed, our attacking line gave up and our defensive unit crapped out.

Ratings

Friedel - 5

Not saving penalties for fun for Villa, Guzan is though. Not on his best form, giving rebounds on shots and could have done better for their goal.

Warnock - 8

Our best player by a longshot. Only player who gives a 100% and wins tackles all the time. Follows Young up the left side and tries to join in, nice to see - not a certainty from left backs in this league is it. His level right now is much higher than Bouma has ever given for us, or any other left back since the PL for that matter. Only thing I have to question is his woeful corners and set-pieces. Does he have a history of being good?

Dunne - 6

Shaky and slow. Fails to control the area like he did against Man City and Chelsea. Does not win many challenges and did not create problems although we had over 10 corners I believe.

Collins - 5

Obviously stirred from the beginning as he was centimeters from gifting them a goal/or getting red carded for a last-ditch tackle. In the second half he also managed to pass straight into their man almost to create a one-on-one with Friedel. Very poor game, no control at all.

Beye - 5

What can I say? Unlucky. Red carded although none of them were yellows. First was offside and also a good and clean tackle from him. Second was late but he actually gets hit by the ball, it hits their player on the rebound and it looks like one motion (before it his Beye) and he downs the player. Like I say, extremely unlucky as his red card gave them the second goal and his yellow card gave them the first goal... sort of. Well, well, unlucky from our reserve player who had a decent game otherwise. Not his fault.

Ashley Young - 6

Nice goal and finally starting to fiddle around with his crosses we all like to see. Left, turn right, deliver, score. Sort of. Poor penalty, shouldn't take them as far as I am concerned. Second half after goal was poor.

Stiliyan Petrov - 5

First half was good, has a couple of flicks and gets involved on their side of the pitch. Second half is dire. Stops contributing, which means one less guy in attack, zero passes, zero effect. Very easy to lead out of a game, which is sad given his nice effort on goal in the first half as well as many passes. Does he not like scoring goals?

Steve Sidwell - 4

Look who gets turned away for their winner so easily. Looses balls on our side in dangerous positions, yet again. He did it twice against Everton as well. Offers nothing going forward, offers little at the back. A complete waste of space at the moment and I am deeply sorry he is our first choice. Not only half the player Gareth Barry was, but two or three levels behind him. Will never reach the England squad under Capello. Not a chance.

Gabriel Agbonlahor - 4

First half was decent, makes lots of runs and tries to tangle their defenders (without much success mind). Gets to a header from a nice Young cross but doesn't deliver.. second half is a no-show. No interest at all, barely touches the ball and never gets into positions. Very poor.

John Carew - 4

Again a very poor display. First half is ok at times, second half is non-existent and very, very disappointing. Is he finished?

Emile Heskey - 4

Offers virtually nothing going forward other than a few passes and a few headers. Not anywhere near a goal tonight and was subbed at half time with an injury.

Subs:

Reo-Coker - 5

Tries up the right side, even though he is a central midfielder. Not his fault he has to do stuff he hasn't done before coming to the Villa. Non the less, good effort given the abuse he got from the West Ham fans.

Luke Young - 5

Nice to see you again mate, you are a good player no doubt and would knock out the poor Cuellar and the reserve Beye any day.

MON - 3

Poor tactics and no show for the second half which is strange given our obvious motivation from Steve Bennett.

\just got in from watching this shower of shit.

Gutless performance from the players.

Started fine created a few chances but nothing clear cut, thought we were OK going into half time went for a pint only to see we gave a penalty away. This was never a penalty and a decision which changed the game, a penalty which changed the direction of the game and a booking which lead to a eventual red.

2nd half- started vibrant won a penalty, missed that!! Then got a lucky goal. Then went DEAD! Absolutely NOTHING. Defence did their job very well as usual but there is only so much they can handle. Watching the last 20 was painful. There was nothing to get behind the players about. I recal seeing Gabby in our corner once, and a good effort by Ashley in the 92nd min. But apart from that we looked shockly (not to some) poor. No clue what to do with the ball apart from hoof it to Carew who had to wrestle his was to get the ball each time.

The bench- Who could we call on to chance the game today? why start with 3 strikers and even then put Hesky on the wing not Gabby?

MON got it wrong and the players let the fans down, they fail to turn up too many matches.

I think its fair to say when MON gets it wrong but these are the same players that put a performance in against the bigger teams but they arnt doing it against the lower teams.

And on a final note. I would like to punch Steve Bennet in the face.

Friedel - 5

Not saving penalties for fun for Villa, Guzan is though. Not on his best form, giving rebounds on shots and could have done better for their goal.

Warnock - 8

Our best player by a longshot. Only player who gives a 100% and wins tackles all the time. Follows Young up the left side and tries to join in, nice to see - not a certainty from left backs in this league is it. His level right now is much higher than Bouma has ever given for us, or any other left back since the PL for that matter. Only thing I have to question is his woeful corners and set-pieces. Does he have a history of being good?

Dunne - 6

Shaky and slow. Fails to control the area like he did against Man City and Chelsea. Does not win many challenges and did not create problems although we had over 10 corners I believe.

Collins - 5

Obviously stirred from the beginning as he was centimeters from gifting them a goal/or getting red carded for a last-ditch tackle. In the second half he also managed to pass straight into their man almost to create a one-on-one with Friedel. Very poor game, no control at all.

Beye - 5

What can I say? Unlucky. Red carded although none of them were yellows. First was offside and also a good and clean tackle from him. Second was late but he actually gets hit by the ball, it hits their player on the rebound and it looks like one motion (before it his Beye) and he downs the player. Like I say, extremely unlucky as his red card gave them the second goal and his yellow card gave them the first goal... sort of. Well, well, unlucky from our reserve player who had a decent game otherwise. Not his fault.

Ashley Young - 6

Nice goal and finally starting to fiddle around with his crosses we all like to see. Left, turn right, deliver, score. Sort of. Poor penalty, shouldn't take them as far as I am concerned. Second half after goal was poor.

Stiliyan Petrov - 5

First half was good, has a couple of flicks and gets involved on their side of the pitch. Second half is dire. Stops contributing, which means one less guy in attack, zero passes, zero effect. Very easy to lead out of a game, which is sad given his nice effort on goal in the first half as well as many passes. Does he not like scoring goals?

Steve Sidwell - 4

Look who gets turned away for their winner so easily. Looses balls on our side in dangerous positions, yet again. He did it twice against Everton as well. Offers nothing going forward, offers little at the back. A complete waste of space at the moment and I am deeply sorry he is our first choice. Not only half the player Gareth Barry was, but two or three levels behind him. Will never reach the England squad under Capello. Not a chance.

Gabriel Agbonlahor - 4

First half was decent, makes lots of runs and tries to tangle their defenders (without much success mind). Gets to a header from a nice Young cross but doesn't deliver.. second half is a no-show. No interest at all, barely touches the ball and never gets into positions. Very poor.

John Carew - 4

Again a very poor display. First half is ok at times, second half is non-existent and very, very disappointing. Is he finished?

Emile Heskey - 4

Offers virtually nothing going forward other than a few passes and a few headers. Not anywhere near a goal tonight and was subbed at half time with an injury.

Subs:

Reo-Coker - 5

Tries up the right side, even though he is a central midfielder. Not his fault he has to do stuff he hasn't done before coming to the Villa. Non the less, good effort given the abuse he got from the West Ham fans.

Luke Young - 5

Nice to see you again mate, you are a good player no doubt and would knock out the poor Cuellar and the reserve Beye any day.

MON - 3

Poor tactics and no show for the second half which is strange given our obvious motivation from Steve Bennett.

close enough though not sure Brad could have done a lot about the goal ??

and Luke young deserves lower as his clearance lead to the goal ..row z and it's 1-1

Carew is finished here.

He can't play for more than an hour and he's really not effective for that hour.

I think he's gone, I just don't think he's got it any more.

Heskey threw a tantrum and threatened to leave if he didn't start playing. Is it my imagination or has he played just about every game since?

Neither of those two should be in the team.