General Chat

Stevo985

I've only listened to Urban Hymns by 'The Verve', the singles are catchy songs and I'd say they've aged pretty well, in comparison to similar songs from that era.. But I wasn't as keen on the rest of album, although I gather their earlier stuff is meant to be a lot different and Urban Hymns is seen by a few of their fans as bit of a sell-out record.

4 minutes ago, Shropshire Lad said:

Is it 1995 again? :D

Anyway, it was always Oasis.

Better songs, better interviews, better story. 

Blur didn't have the sheer gall to piss away the likes of "Acquiesce", "Talk Tonight", "The Masterplan" etc as b-sides.

I'm not a Blur afficendo but I bet one who is could find Blur b sides to rival and probably better those you mention. An obvious one is 'Black Book', I'm sure there are probably more.

6 minutes ago, useless said:

I'm not a Blur afficendo but I bet one who is could find Blur b sides to rival and probably better those you mention. An obvious one is 'Black Book', I'm sure there are probably more.

Well I suppose a Blur aficionado would be able to find Blur b-sides they felt were better, yes. 

But being more of an Oasis fan, I most likely wouldn't agree with them :)

I agree completely with your comments regarding The Verve though. 

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

If you are discussing oasis / blur and then throw in radiohead, I'd throw in the verve / Richard Ashcroft, I think sometimes RA gets a bit forgotten, brilliant writer

Of those 4, Radiohead are streets ahead. Blur and Oasis were big in their time, and then went away (I know Blur recently reformed for a bit), the Verve did a handful of really good stuff (the most well known one being half nicked) then vanished. Ashcroft is a good writer, but Radiohead are just on a different level completely. They're still making awesome music 20 years later, and never stopped. I struggle to think of another band that over such a long period has made so many excellent records. ( I could pick a couple of personal faves, like the Fall and HMHB, but couldn't claim they have the same mass appeal) Maybe REM, but they faded quite a bit.

• Like 3

I don't think Radiohead are miles ahead of Blur, I'd say they're pretty equal in terms of creativity and it's more a question of taste as to who is the better between the two. I don't mind either really, but if I was told I could only listen to music by either Radiohead or Blur for the week I'd choose Blur. Albarn's done a lot of stuff besides Blur as well.

3 minutes ago, blandy said:

Of those 4, Radiohead are streets ahead. Blur and Oasis were big in their time, and then went away (I know Blur recently reformed for a bit), the Verve did a handful of really good stuff (the most well known one being half nicked) then vanished. Ashcroft is a good writer, but Radiohead are just on a different level completely. They're still making awesome music 20 years later, and never stopped. I struggle to think of another band that over such a long period has made so many excellent records. ( I could pick a couple of personal faves, like the Fall and HMHB, but couldn't claim they have the same mass appeal) Maybe REM, but they faded quite a bit.

i just cannot get into radiohead, on the other hand i used to be a huge oasis fan but i definitely would say as a band and laying down a legacy and influence that radiohead are easily the number 1 out of the bands mentioned. radiohead are a band kids in 20 or 30 years time will be going back to listen to. same could be said for oasis but radiohead have a lot more to offer.

• Like 1

I just googled total album sales for the 3 and Oasis sold the most (50 odd million) Radiohead next (30 odd million) and Blur nowhere near (around 14 million). All impressive of course, but it kind of shows how popular Oasis were at the time.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Rugeley Villa said:

oasis were great at what they did and for three albums were superb. i was never into blur though.

I take it you mean the first three and therefore "be here now" in that?

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

All impressive of course, but it kind of shows how popular Oasis were at the time.

Quite good considering they totally blew any chance of properly cracking the US.

Just now, blandy said:

I just googled total album sales for the 3 and Oasis sold the most (50 odd million) Radiohead next (30 odd million) and Blur nowhere near (around 14 million). All impressive of course, but it kind of shows how popular Oasis were at the time.

oasis were huge in europe in their prime. did they ever crack america?

Radiohead haven't release anything decent for going on ten years now, and I don't think that's just me being a fidget the general consensus seems to be that 'King of Limbs' was a bit of a let down. The rumours are that they might be releasing a new one any moment now, will be interesting to see if they can return to relative form.

9 minutes ago, Rugeley Villa said:

yes.

Fair do's. I like a fair bit of it myself, at the very least it encapsulates where they were at the time ("it's gettin' better man!!!!" repeated 28 times or whatever it was gives a good indication).

As for the states, nah I don't think so. "Morning Glory" and "Be Here Now" both made the top five in the album charts, "Wonderwall" made the top ten in the main charts but I think the Americans never really took to them. 

I think, broadly speaking, America seems to like it's British acts to be a bit nicer and more likely to play the game hence Coldplay's success.

Edited by Shropshire Lad
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, useless said:

Radiohead haven't release anything decent for going on ten years now, and I don't think that's just me being a fidget the general consensus seems to be that 'King of Limbs' was a bit of a let down. The rumours are that they might be releasing a new one any moment now, will be interesting to see if they can return to relative form.

In Rainbows was a while ago, now, you're right. And I agree TKoL was a drop from the previous albums, but it was still pretty good (IMO), but yeah, I agree. Having heard the Bond theme (link is to Soundcloud) they did, I'm hopeful the new album will be a real good 'un

• Like 1

Â