General Chat

Stevo985

Could be. I dunno. Looks about the right length though :) One of my useless claims to fame is I can pronounce that Welsh train station/village and have been able since I was about 9 when I began an obsession for really long words.

Is it true that Bangkok isn't called Bangkok to people from Bangkok and that it hasn't been called that for a hundred years or so? QI said it has some really long name over there instead.

Leeloo Minai Lekarariba-Laminai-Tchai Ekbat De Sebat?

I think you mean

Krung Thep

Is it true that Bangkok isn't called Bangkok to people from Bangkok and that it hasn't been called that for a hundred years or so? QI said it has some really long name over there instead.

I think you mean

Krung Thep

:winkold:

leelooref2.jpg

Could be. I dunno. Looks about the right length though One of my useless claims to fame is I can pronounce that Welsh train station/village and have been able since I was about 9 when I began an obsession for really long words.

I used to have a little obsession over long words.

My favourite bit of German was Das Donaudampfgeselleschaftskaptinsilversternlein

Dunno if that's spelled right, but it was something like that.

Pneumonoultramiscroscopicsilconvolcanoconiosis (which I think turns out is actually a made up word)and Dichlorodiphenyltricloroethane were favourite english words, dunno if I've remembered the right spelling, but I used to know them.

Yes I was that sad.

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis isn't made up, although it's just referred to as pneumoconiosis now for obvious reasons :) That was a favourite of mine too. Antidisestablishmentarianism & floccinaucinihilipilification were good ones too.

Pneumonoultramicroscopicsilicovolcanoconiosis is, according to the Oxford English Dictionary, "a factitious word alleged to mean 'a lung disease caused by the inhalation of very fine silica dust, causing inflammation in the lungs.[1]'" A condition meeting the word's definition is normally called silicosis.

It occurs chiefly as an instance of a very long word. The 45-letter word was coined to serve as the longest English word and is the longest word ever to appear in an English language dictionary. It is listed in the current edition of several dictionaries

Wiki says it's "factitious. But also that it appears in the Oxford Dictionary, which I guess makes it a word.

Which by some lucky coincidence translates as "Place where foreigners shag men with boobies"

One of my useless claims to fame is I can pronounce that Welsh train station/village and have been able since I was about 9 when I began an obsession for really long words.
At about the same age, my mate at school taught me how to pronounce Llanfair PG in its entirety, and I also considered it a claim to fame.

I later realised he'd simply taught it to me phonetically, not the authentic Welsh pronunciation. :angry:

One of my useless claims to fame is I can pronounce that Welsh train station/village and have been able since I was about 9 when I began an obsession for really long words.
At about the same age, my mate at school taught me how to pronounce Llanfair PG in its entirety, and I also considered it a claim to fame.

I later realised he'd simply taught it to me phonetically, not the authentic Welsh pronunciation. :angry:

reminds me of when i taught my mate "Thank You " in Hungarian ..only of course I taught him "F**k you " instead ... as we left the bar after a session he waved at the bar girls and in his best Hungarian told them all to Fornicate with themselves

he's known me for 30 years , you'd think he'd have known better

I think you mean

Krung Thep

Bangkok's full name is:

Krung Thep Mahanakhon Amon Rattanakosin Mahintharayutthaya Mahadilok Phop Noppharat Ratchathani Burirom Udomratchaniwet Mahasathan Amon Phiman Awatan Sathit Sakkathattiya Witsanukam Prasit

Which translates, bizzarely, to:

The city of angels, the great city, the eternal jewel city, the impregnable city of God Indra, the grand capital of the world endowed with nine precious gems, the happy city, abounding in an enormous Royal Palace that resembles the heavenly abode where reigns the reincarnated god, a city given by Indra and built by Vishnukarma

Â