General Chat

Stevo985

Interesting list Mike. We're quite similar. I think my age means I have more of a tolerance for 'dance' although it is really only 90s dance because that's what was social when I was growing up. I think that might be why we differ in the opposite direction for what you call 'psychadelia'. I'm clearly not as well up on my classical stuff as you. Where you separated the likes of Beethoven, Wagner, Mozart and Handel, to me they'd all be 'classical'. So you clearly know your stuff to that degree. Good to see a fellow jazz fan on board though. I'd probably be a tad more enthusiastic about it than 'OK'.

Hey, my only "OK" for jazz was the New Orleans stuff - the rest was mostly "like a lot" or "love".

I think you're right about the teenage years/social thing, too. My teens were 1967-73 - which is absolutely my favourite era for rock music. No coincidence, I suspect.

I think most non-fans would lump all music from Purcell to Bartok as "classical", but you're talking four centuries there. It's easily as varied as (say) doo-wop to dubstep. More so, if anything.

Early music (mediaeval, etc.) - OK, very occasionally

Baroque (Handel, etc.) - OK very occasioanlly

Classical (Mozart, etc.) - OK

Early Romantic (Beethoven, Brahms, etc.) - Like it

Late Romantic (Mahler, Wagner, etc.) - Like it

Opera - OK, very occasionally

Early 20th Century (Stravinsky, Shostakovich, etc.) - Love it

Ragtime (Scott Joplin, etc.) - OK, occasionally

New Orleans jazz (Louis Armstrong, etc.) - OK, occasionally

Swing era jazz (Ellington, etc.) - like it

Bebop jazz (Charlie Parker, etc.) - like it a lot

Hard bop jazz (Miles, Mingus, Monk, etc.) - ok

Lounge/soundtrack MOR - OK, occasionally

Country blues (Robert Johnson, etc.) - OK, occasionally

Chicago blues (B B King, etc.) - Like it

50s rock'n'roll (Chuck Berry, etc.) - OK, occasionally

Soul (Motown, Otis Redding, etc.) - Like it

60s reggae (Jimmy Cliff, etc.) - Absolutely Love It

dub reggae (Mykal Rose etc) - Like it

original ska & brit ska (The Ethiopians / Specials) - Love It

Trad Country (Hank Williams, etc.) - ok

60s beat era (Beatles, etc.) - Like it

Psychedelia (Pink Floyd, Grateful Dead, etc.) - ugh, dislike

Progressive rock (Jethro Tull, Caravan, etc.) - burn the lot of 'em

Country rock (Eagles, etc.) - Like it

UK Folk (Martin Carthy, etc.) - OK, occasionally

Krautrock (Kraftwerk, etc.) - OK

Punk - OK, occasionally

Disco (Donna Summer, etc.) - dislike it

Post-punk (New Order, Smiths, etc.) - hate it

Britpop (Oasis, etc.) - OK, occasionally

Hip-hop (**** knows) - hate it but to make it a big broad genre, an honourable exemption for Beastie Boys

'Dance' music (**** knows) - hate it - with the occassional bizarre exemption of some techno techno techno

Current commercial pop/"r'n'b" - hate it

Quite close to the original list really, and to be honest, there'll be something in just about any genre that I will listen to. I'm a musical slut really.

Slightly off topic in that it's on topic for Villa if you see what I mean .... anyway

I'm coming over for the West Brom game in September :hooray::cheers: Booked 'n everything.

Slightly off topic in that it's on topic for Villa if you see what I mean .... anyway

I'm coming over for the West Brom game in September :hooray::cheers: Booked 'n everything.

Welcome to the Motherland :)

Well given that I live in a different country to (London)Derry and it's well over 100 miles from me it'd be impressive and worrying if I could pick out a pub in it for anyone, and it would mean my AA membership was well overdue!! :P

Well given that I live in a different country to (London)Derry and it's well over 100 miles from me it'd be impressive and worrying if I could pick out a pub in it for anyone, and it would mean my AA membership was well overdue!! :P

100 miles is a long drive, joining the AA would be a sensible idea.

Out of interest BOF what "class" are you in? I was chatting (and eventually ****) with a girl from Dublin a few weeks back. She mentioned the class system that still "divides" the city, I think she was part of the "upper" but I can't remember the terms she used. Aside from "traveller" of course!

A class system in Ireland? We like to pride ourselves on not looking down on anyone tbh. I'm not sure what your squeeze was on about. Or was she just on about the North/South divide within Dublin?

A class system in Ireland? We like to pride ourselves on not looking down on anyone tbh. I'm not sure what your squeeze was on about. Or was she just on about the North/South divide within Dublin?

No, she definitely waxed on and on about this class system.

I dunno. She was a **** brilliant shag regardless. Except I have to say, dirty talk in a Dublin accent is not cool. I haven't a clue why the Irish accent is seen as one of the sexiest.

I *think* it might just be a system the travellers use?

that could well be my first game of the season as well

maybe see you in the Barton's before the game ?

A class system in Ireland?

those that have a bath in the garden full of coal and those that don't even know what a bath is ?

or am I getting confused with Sheffield ?

Â