General Chat

Stevo985

Happy Birthday Jaguar XJ220.

20 today. Still a beauty (and still the fastest production Jag ever).

jaguar-xj220-12.jpg

Shame the build quality was **** appalling. Full acceleration from a standing start would generally result in the radio ending up in your lap.

Lovely to look at though

A friend and I have come up with a business idea. We think we've found a niche market.

Pretty excited to be honest. Been doing some research, will need to do a lot more, but we may have taken the first step to leaving the rat race

Is it a coffee shop?

Why? Has that been done already?

Happy Birthday Jaguar XJ220.

20 today. Still a beauty (and still the fastest production Jag ever).

jaguar-xj220-12.jpg

I'm sorry to break it to you Bri but the (very slightly tweaked) Jaguar XF-R clocked 225mph versus the 217mph that the tweaked XJ220 managed.

Large%20Image.jpg

Imagine how cool an XFR-S would be :!:

That XF-R is not 'very slightly tweaked' at all. They gave it 90 more horses, took out the cat(s) and added a wing. A production XF-R would get nowhere near 225.

You're right, that is because it is electronically limited to 155mph. The XJ220 was modified from standard to achieve its headline 217mph too.

Speed record

In 1992 at the Nardò Ring, Martin Brundle drove an XJ220 to 212.3 mph (341.7 km/h). The car's catalytic converters drain the engine of an estimated 60 bhp (45 kW), the catalysts were later disconnected and the rev limiter was increased from 7200 rpm to 7900 rpm in a quest to enable the XJ220 to reach a higher top speed. On a later run with the modifications, Brundle took the XJ220 to 217.1 mph (349.4 km/h) (the equivalent to approximately 223 mph (359 km/h) on a straight road).

I do agree with you though, I would guess with the cats connected on the XFR and the limiter removed it probably wouldn't get close to the 213mph of the XJ220. If you consider the XFR costs about £70k, has a proper back seat, big boot, air mod cons its an incredible achievement when compared to the £460,000 XJ220 which does require a visit to the chiropractor after every journe

You're right, that is because it is electronically limited to 155mph. The XJ220 was modified from standard to achieve its headline 217mph too.

I don't mind them taking off the limiter. That doesn't change power, gearing etc. It just stops it killing the engine @ 155mph. It's all the other stuff that's just aftermarket. A stock XJ220 can still do 212mph. And the 217mph attempt was done on a curve which is supposed to be the equivalent to 223 on a straight.

_58229764_p1010514.jpg

A huge crustacean has been found lurking 7km down in the waters off the coast of New Zealand.

The creature - called a supergiant - is a type of amphipod, which are normally around 2-3cm long.

But these beasts, discovered in the Kermadec Trench, were more than 10 times bigger: the largest found measured in at 34cm.

Alan Jamieson, from the University of Aberdeen's Oceanlab, said: "It's a bit like finding a foot-long cockroach."

"I stopped and thought: 'What on Earth was that?' This amphipod was far bigger than I ever thought possible."

"It just goes to show that the more you look, the more you find”

The strange animals were found using a large metal trap, which had been equipped with a camera, housed in sapphire glass to keep it safe from the high pressures of the deep sea.

Seven specimens were caught in the trap and nine were captured on film by the team from the University of Aberdeen, in Scotland, and the National Institute of Water and Atmospheric Research (Niwa), in New Zealand.

The largest specimen brought back up to the ship measured 28cm in length, while the biggest spotted on camera was 34cm-long.

Amphipods have been found living in large numbers at the very bottom of ocean trenches, deep, narrow valleys in the sea floor that can plunge down to nearly 11km.

The creatures are small, but extremely active, and seem to thrive in this place where the pressure is one thousand times greater than at sea level.

The name "supergiant" was first coined after large specimens were caught in the 1980s off the coast of Hawaii.

They have been since being seen in the Antarctic, where they grew up to 10cm, but these are now dwarfed by this latest find.

Dr Ashley Rowden, from Niwa, said: "It just goes to show that the more you look, the more you find.

"For such a large and conspicuous animal to go unnoticed for so long is just testament to how little we know about life in New Zealand's most deep and unique habitat."

Over the last few years, scientists have been surprised by the life that is found in ocean trenches.

These deep-sea spots were once thought to be barren; too dark, cold and with too much pressure for anything to survive.

But researchers have found a wealth of life in the deepest of the deep.

As well as swarms of amphipods, they have uncovered shrimp-like creatures called isopods and snailfish that live 7,700m down.

BBC

But does it taste good? smiley-eatdrink026.gif

Â