General Chat

Stevo985

Just found out I'm getting made redundant (and all my colleagues) on the 16th December - Merry Christmas! - so if anyone hears of any Office Management, HR, Training etc, jobs in the Derby area then spare me a thought if you would.

Also, I would love a Spinach Pie...

Sorry to hear that. Same thing happened to me last December, but 2 months of sitting at home in my pants later I was back working for the company in a different division so you never know how these things work out. Chin up! :thumb:

Just found out I'm getting made redundant (and all my colleagues) on the 16th December - Merry Christmas! - so if anyone hears of any Office Management, HR, Training etc, jobs in the Derby area then spare me a thought if you would.

Bugger. :(

On the flip side, that's one nice long Xmas Holiday!! :P :winkold:

Laura, how far are you prepared to travel?

Thanks all, it's not the best luck in the world, although I've been in this situation before and it changed my life massively for the better so I'll remain positive.

Unfortunately it wont be an Xmas holiday, I have too many commitments meaning I can't afford to be out of work so I have to find something ASAP.

Richard, in answer to your question, unfortunately I don't drive. So anywhere public transport will allow from / within Derby.

Laura, I'd get signed up with a temp agency asap.

Obviously not for the long term, but it'll get you some short term work to keep the finances ticking over if you're struggling to find somewhere permanent. Better than nothing!

Better to get signed up early in case they're hard to get into when you're desperate.

You've got plenty of experience IIRC so I'd imagine temp agencies would be willing to take you on.

Good luck

Signed up with 8 agencies during the last 4 weeks, I've had 2 calls. Job searching ain't what it used to be!

But yes, I have so far:

• - Enrolled on 4 Government funded training courses
    - Been to the Job Centre
    - Spoken to Next Step Careers Advisors
    - Contacted the HR Manager at Derby County FC and meeting her for an informal chat about getting into HR
    - Applied for 19 jobs now
    - Approaching my current employer regarding (part/full) funding for a CIPD qualification as part of my settlement because if they pay there is no VAT

So fingers crossed!

If anyone else has any ideas about what someone facing redundancy is entitled to do, get involved in, ask for, etc - please let me know.

Sorry to hear your bad news Laura, hope you find something soon. Perhaps self employment might be an option? Businesses always need good administrators/bookkeepers & they might prefer to have someone in part time instead of employing someone. I've got a friend who does that she works for a few companies a week and has found she has pretty much a job that suits.

Â