General Chat

Stevo985

I watched that YouTube link and I'm none the wiser as to why it was funny. The comments might as well have been written in Swahili.

What's starcraft?

21st century chess.

The video is just of somebody trying to be super cheap and getting bitten badly by lady luck. You absolutely need to know how to play the game to get the joke. I doubt somebody who had never seen a game of football before would understand why that Henry & Pires penalty vs Manchester City was funny. Same here.

Too late, Rev. The Daily Express are running it as tomorrow's front page.

The Daily Express....

Did Rev kill Diana with a train then ?

:D

Undoubtedly. While shirking, on middle-class, home counties, taxpayers' money. And playing violent video games on the evil internet.

I think he could be the real Bin Laden.

:shock: :shock: That is a very impressive wage. I dont mean this in a disrepectful way, but it's not what you would call a highly skilled job, nor is it corporate, so it's surprising train drivers get so much. But hey it's good for you and your colleaugues.

:shock: :shock: That is a very impressive wage. I dont mean this in a disrepectful way, but it's not what you would call a highly skilled job, nor is it corporate, so it's surprising train drivers get so much. But hey it's good for you and your colleaugues.

It takes about a year to become productive from the day you walk through the door for the first time, you are responsible for the lives of lots of other people trapped in a metal tube travelling at 100+ mph often many miles from any kind of civilisation, it requires lots of concentration at all times (including very early in the morning and very late at night) and if the trains dont run large parts of the country, especially the big cities and especially London tend to grind to a halt. But yeah, I guess you are right. We dont wear white collars and we dont work with computers so I guess its unskilled labour. The company should get some Polish guy in to do it for a fiver an hour instead.

It takes about a year to become productive from the day you walk through the door for the first time, you are responsible for the lives of lots of other people trapped in a metal tube travelling at 100+ mph often many miles from any kind of civilisation, it requires lots of concentration at all times (including very early in the morning and very late at night) and if the trains dont run large parts of the country, especially the big cities and especially London tend to grind to a halt. But yeah, I guess you are right. We dont wear white collars and we dont work with computers so I guess its unskilled labour. The company should get some Polish guy in to do it for a fiver an hour instead.

No need for that. I said I didn't want to be offensive in my post. But you clearly took it the wrong way. NEVER MIND.

No need for that. I said I didn't want to be offensive in my post. But you clearly took it the wrong way. NEVER MIND.

The wages are so high because they go on strike every week :winkold:

You know, I have been on the railway for 13 years and have never been involved in any kind of industrial action.

I think it's a very good wage. The starting salary for a Flybe FO is 23k per annum which is peanuts compared to that wage, for an arguably more risky job.

Indeed. You wouldn't even be hitting 45k when you hit captain with quite a few airlines.

When you compare that 45k to the ages of aircrew then you'd start to question why anyone would become a pilot.

Not only does it take years of training you'll probably have to pay for it yourself (in the region of 6 figures) as fully sponsored training schemes are pretty much non-existent these days.

Admittedly the top end of flight crew is much, much higher, but it takes many years to get there.

I think it's a very good wage. The starting salary for a Flybe FO is 23k per annum which is peanuts compared to that wage, for an arguably more risky job.

Indeed. You wouldn't even be hitting 45k when you hit captain with quite a few airlines.

When you compare that 45k to the ages of aircrew then you'd start to question why anyone would become a pilot.

Not only does it take years of training you'll probably have to pay for it yourself (in the region of 6 figures) as fully sponsored training schemes are pretty much non-existent these days.

Admittedly the top end of flight crew is much, much higher, but it takes many years to get there.

It would have cost me around £85,000 to train 2 years ago with a European training school that while it has associations with major European airlines, they can only provide you with a recommendation if you get an interview.

I think HSBC offered a loan scheme specifically designed for the training costs but to think you'd come out with £85k plus additional debt, no guarantee of a job and potentially starting on a £20k salary means you have to a serious love for flying and then some.

I drive an artic mate and after 9-11 hours of driving on full alert I'm mentally exhausted and that's just driving Cadbury's Chocolate around all day . It's not just your own safety you have to worry about , it's every other driver on the motorway as well, So God only knows what it's like being responsible for hundreds of passengers inside a large sardine can .

If I had an accident , the motorway would be shut for a few a hours and it may make a brief appearance in the local news. If you have an accident then it's going to be front page news for a good while.

You deserve everything you get in my opinion. Same with airline pilots .

I remember driving a minibus full of people a few times in the past and you do feel edgier than if you were just in a car or something .

It would have cost me around £85,000 to train 2 years ago with a European training school that while it has associations with major European airlines, they can only provide you with a recommendation if you get an interview.

I think HSBC offered a loan scheme specifically designed for the training costs but to think you'd come out with £85k plus additional debt, no guarantee of a job and potentially starting on a £20k salary means you have to a serious love for flying and then some.

Yeah that sounds about right.

I looked into it a couple of years back as well. BA used to have an awesome scholarship program, full funding, including living expenses whilst you train and a guaranteed job at the end if you passed. Then 9/11 hit and all of a sudden all the carriers shut down their schemes as the airline industry took a huge dive, and they just haven't came back.

Now you have to get a "training bond" which means you get a bank to pony up the money, and YOU pay it back either out of your wages if you do actually manage to luck your way into a job, or out of your pocket some other way if you don't. It's bullshit really.

It's a rich kids industry these days, if Daddy can put you through flight school you're set, in 10 years you'll be making decent money and flying everywhere. If you have to pay for it yourself you'll be living off super noodles for 5 of those years trying to pay back your training fees whilst working long hours for little pay.

Â