General Chat

Stevo985

Proper ghey moment here, but I sat and watched 'Tangled' with the missus one night, then she made me watch a couple of the songs in Polish.

Polish is not a lyrical language. It's too zzzzzzz'dy. I tell her this and she argues with me. 

Shit like this proves my point. It doesn't work in a song.

Cieszę się, że zeszłam z wieży - Link 

Well really it's a weird language. They don't use pronouns, or articles. If you translated it word for word to English, it sounds caveman-esque. But that's why languages are so great I guess. Because it's ridiculously difficult.

I mean I've tried to learn it and I have a fair bit of it down but I just don't think I'll ever learn all of the grammar.

17 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Proper ghey moment here, but I sat and watched 'Tangled' with the missus one night, then she made me watch a couple of the songs in Polish.

Polish is not a lyrical language. It's too zzzzzzz'dy. I tell her this and she argues with me. 

Shit like this proves my point. It doesn't work in a song.

Cieszę się, że zeszłam z wieży - Link 

Well really it's a weird language. They don't use pronouns, or articles. If you translated it word for word to English, it sounds caveman-esque. But that's why languages are so great I guess. Because it's ridiculously difficult.

I mean I've tried to learn it and I have a fair bit of it down but I just don't think I'll ever learn all of the grammar.

Isn't the song not working in Polish at least in part to do with it being a translation?

I know a straight translation wouldn't automatically rhyme so they'l possibly have put an interpretation on it. But even so, it just might not fit because it's just not Polish in essence? I guess? 

I have no idea, for all I know the original of Tangled is Polish. I haven't watched it as I have a Y chromosome.

For instance, we have a little sing song at the footy and the shouts in Welsh just don't really work or scan in english. Ysbeidiau Heulog being an obvious example. You can't get a shout going of 'Sunny Intervals', it just sounds rubbish. 

Anyway,  Stardust and Enchanted are far superior films.

17 minutes ago, AVFC_Hitz said:

I've made that mistake. I read some German poetry in a bar once next day I was at the seige of Breslau.

pedant but wasn't that a Soviet siege of Germany ?

pedant but wasn't that a Soviet siege of Germany ?

You're right but I was going for the eastern front theme anyway not the invasion of Poland.

Breslau (Wroclaw) was just something I'm reading about...

22 minutes ago, Xann said:

Catchy. But the lyrics are such nonsense :D

I think (im making the point badly) is that it's so hard to ram words like 'kto' isn't one syllable so even in songs like this which are catchy, it's still awkward.

Edited by StefanAVFC

1 hour ago, StefanAVFC said:

Yeah, some languages are just never going to sound nice when in poetry or in a song.

Polish is one of them.

Polish-Norwegian new wave legend Andrej Nebb says 'f**k off' :)

14 hours ago, troon_villan said:

How did this go by the way?

It went fine I think. Mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell. Adipose tissue. Transitional cells.

It was seven years ago though, and I did not finish that course, so from that point of view it was pointless and I could have stayed at home in bed on VT. If I could go back and tell myself not to bother going to the exam, I wouldn't because it would be the only time I'd have someone from the future appear to me to give me advice, and then acting on that advice and telling people why I didn't show up for the exam would probably have negative consequences. Mainly for my state of mind. Worrying that I had hallucinated the whole thing, and that maybe I really should have gone to the exam. I'd like to think that even if I could go back and tell myself to not bother going to the exam, I'd still have gone. 

Thank you for asking. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, BOF said:

So we've gone from J-pop to P-pop ?  I learn so much on VT :D

not enough it seems as p-pop is from the Philippines  :)

Edited by tonyh29

It went fine I think. Mitochondria are the powerhouse of the cell. Adipose tissue. Transitional cells.

It was seven years ago though, and I did not finish that course, so from that point of view it was pointless and I could have stayed at home in bed on VT. If I could go back and tell myself not to bother going to the exam, I wouldn't because it would be the only time I'd have someone from the future appear to me to give me advice, and then acting on that advice and telling people why I didn't show up for the exam would probably have negative consequences. Mainly for my state of mind. Worrying that I had hallucinated the whole thing, and that maybe I really should have gone to the exam. I'd like to think that even if I could go back and tell myself to not bother going to the exam, I'd still have gone. 

Thank you for asking. 

I would have (of) asked at the time but I wasn't a member back then.

Â