General Chat

Stevo985

we had one of those far out twin tape decks on our stack system , I guess it was around 1980  .... my job was to borrow all the tapes from my classmates and make mix tapes for everyone of all the songs everyone had individually taped off the radio ... you could say I invented the " Now That's what I call  .. " series  :) 

15 minutes ago, BOF said:

A friend of mine started collecting those from "Now That's What I Call Music 2" onwards.  I'd say that annoys him now :)

just looked at the track listing for that album

other than the fact the first track would have had my pouring fuel over myself and lighting it , that's a pretty decent album by 80's  standards

You feel it pumping and it's in your face
I've got a 3-D Super Woofer, now turn up the bass

All I ever wanted at the age of nine
Was a cassette player that was mine
To play my rap tapes to all my mates
So for Christmas and birthdays I'd waits and waits

Then one day, you know what I was given
Off my cousin who was run over and killed up in Llanishen
A Super Woofer of the 3-D kind
Double cassette and it was all my mine

Sometimes I think they were the best days
When I'd spend my time pressing rewind and plays

tape to tape

one day, the true genius of Goldies Lookins Chains will be understood and appreciated

you knows it, clart

• Like 4

Just now, chrisp65 said:

tape to tape

one day, the true genius of Goldies Lookins Chains will be understood and appreciated

you knows it, clart

There was a period, unashamedly when I loved GLC. They were a great party when they played live. As we are on the subject of home taping, and welsh music. Pooh Sticks on tape.

• Like 2

I had an early version of their 'GLC greatest hits' album on tape and I gave it away. It had properly rare versions of stuff, rambling jokes and just giggling on there that I haven't heard since on the CD versions.

They are bloody good live, if you're in the mood to go with the flow and raise your arms and jump on command it's a great night.

Saw them at the Brixton Academy of all places! First 10 minutes the crowd was too cool to appreciate the joke, then a few at a time the place started getting in to it. They tore the place up. All those people jumping and pointing and chanting 'oh London, your mother's got a penis'.

• Like 1

It was all about the minidisc back in my day.  My brother worked for a summer in the BBC gramophone library and used to be able to take home any CD to order and record them.  I think minidiscs became obsolete before we could start a criminal enterprise out of it though.

9 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I had an early version of their 'GLC greatest hits' album on tape and I gave it away. It had properly rare versions of stuff, rambling jokes and just giggling on there that I haven't heard since on the CD versions.

They are bloody good live, if you're in the mood to go with the flow and raise your arms and jump on command it's a great night.

Saw them at the Brixton Academy of all places! First 10 minutes the crowd was too cool to appreciate the joke, then a few at a time the place started getting in to it. They tore the place up. All those people jumping and pointing and chanting 'oh London, your mother's got a penis'.

your mother am actually got a penis. 

24 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

There was a period, unashamedly when I loved GLC. They were a great party when they played live. As we are on the subject of home taping, and welsh music. Pooh Sticks on tape.

Twee Indie Pop alert!!

bickster doesn't like this!

On the subject of GLC, I saw them at The Empire in Middlesborough before they were famous. I got the joke pretty quickly, and was most amused. I was even more amused by the people in the crowd who didn't get it.

"Yeah, Welsh Hip Hop. It's really interesting to learn about their culture."

we had one of those far out twin tape decks on our stack system , I guess it was around 1980  .... my job was to borrow all the tapes from my classmates and make mix tapes for everyone of all the songs everyone had individually taped off the radio ... you could say I invented the " Now That's what I call  .. " series  [emoji4] 

I won't.

13 minutes ago, dAVe80 said:

Twee Indie Pop alert!!

bickster doesn't like this!

This sort of shit used to be my lifeblood, never get rid of any vinyl but the stuff I have is very typical of this, its not been played for a long long time. 

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

This sort of shit used to be my lifeblood, never get rid of any vinyl but the stuff I have is very typical of this, its not been played for a long long time. 

I don't mind a bit of Indie Pop, but I draw the line at raincoats and cardigans.

• Like 1

A twin decktape recorder made it a lot easier to make mixtapes. I'd tape everything and then edit out anything I didn't like, sometimes I would only like certain parts of a piece of music. There was no skill involved I just left everything to chance.  I'd be so used to hearing a joint on one of my tapes that when I'd hear it on it's proper release I'd be momentarily surprised that the 'song' that followed wasn't the one on the tape. I remember reading an Autechre interview where they talked about making music by splicing fractions of sound together using cassettes, I tried it myself and it took all day to get a sound that lasted about three seconds, was quite otherworldly though. 

There was a good thread on watmm, which was basically a Q&A session with them. They talked a lot about what influenced them and their music making process. I was most surprised to learn that most Autecre tracks are solo efforts and its rare for them to both work on the same track. I hardly listen to them these days though, for that kind of kick I prefer the older stuff like Parmegiani, Dockstader, ect. 

• Like 1

Â