General Chat

Stevo985

1 hour ago, tonyh29 said:

cause they weren't the best contender probably and the awards were on merit ( well that and who has the most cash to buy it )   ....... When the award for best  black person in a category only for black people goes to Jack Black then I'll maybe join the protest movement with Mrs Smith  *

* I won't cause I'm lazy

Not true re: merit. Unless you think Taylor Swift had a better albun than Kendrick Lamar (and your name isn't CED). His album To Pimp a Butterfly was a shoo in for aoty on literally almost every single major publication (and non major publication for that matter). It's akin to David Silva winning the Balon d'Or aead of Messi or Ronaldo.

It's kind of odd that arguably the most popular genre of the past 2 decades has only had 2 winners of the biggest prize in the biggest popularity contest in music in that period.

Also excuse the multiple quotes, I'm on q commute and my phone is acting a fool.

2 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Not true re: merit. Unless you think Taylor Swift had a better albun than Kendrick Lamar (and your name isn't CED). His album To Pimp a Butterfly was a shoo in for aoty on literally almost every single major publication

I honestly couldn't say as  I wouldn't have a clue who Kendrik Lamar is , though at least I do know who Taylor Swift is even if her music isn't for me 

but I did insert a get out about record companies buying the awards  :) 

• Like 1

I would have thought there are really only three ways of judging these things:

Statistics - as in the most money / downloads / plays etc. wins as a point of pure fact. Coldplay selling a million copies of a song for a million pound beats somebody obscure selling five hundred copies of something for five hundred pound. Perception of craft or cool is irrelevant.

Art - this is subjective and suggests there must be a panel of experts with the correct taste and opinions that can tell us an Adele song is better than a Muse song.

Vox Pop - vote now, did you like the back story of the blind girl singer, the cheeky gangstaaa, or the dancing dog in a tutu?

Personally, I have little interest in any of those. I don't care if a song has shifted a million units. I don't follow bands because they won a Novello. I certainly wouldn't base anything on how many teenagers voted on the red button from a pre selected short list of pop stars.

I like Abba, so I buy some Abba. I like the Beach Boys, I bought some Beach Boys. Yesterday, I walked in to a shop and was instructed by the all knowing staff that I should buy some Ulver and some Horace Andy. I did this. 

If any of them are 'winners' it's kind of coincidental. But I guess prizes raise profile? So I understand how the industry sees it as being necessary. Good for them if it works for them.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Ingram85 said:

Erm I wasn't being serious. It was a barbed comment about tokenism and how annoying it is. 

I would have thought referencing Jack Black in my reply would have been a clue as to how I took your post :) 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

Yesterday, I walked in to a shop and was instructed by the all knowing staff that I should buy some Ulver and some Horace Andy. I did this. 

I bet you are also growing a hipster beard right now as well

Rich and famous people back slapping and giving awards to other rich and famous people while the poor look on and clap like seals.

Is that the Brits or every popular awards show currently running?

Got no time for any of them really, maybe the Oscars still means something (if you are white :) ) not sure about anything else really.

Edited by AVFCDAN

7 minutes ago, tonyh29 said:

I bet you are also growing a hipster beard right now as well

Right now?

Black heavy framed glasses. Quite a severe short hair cut. Full salt n pepper beard. Black jumper. Black jeans. Brown boots with white soles. Hot.

You know you want it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Keyblade said:

Apparently yeah. Was surprised when there was an uproar that Kendrick Lamar didn't win album of the year at the Grammy's this year. Not because I disagreed (he should have), but because I didn't think people cared about the Grammy's in 2016 :lol: 

His album wasn't even that good, it's a 3 star album, worse than Good Kid Mad City.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

I would have thought there are really only three ways of judging these things:

Statistics - as in the most money / downloads / plays etc. wins as a point of pure fact. Coldplay selling a million copies of a song for a million pound beats somebody obscure selling five hundred copies of something for five hundred pound. Perception of craft or cool is irrelevant.

Art - this is subjective and suggests there must be a panel of experts with the correct taste and opinions that can tell us an Adele song is better than a Muse song.

Vox Pop - vote now, did you like the back story of the blind girl singer, the cheeky gangstaaa, or the dancing dog in a tutu?

Personally, I have little interest in any of those. I don't care if a song has shifted a million units. I don't follow bands because they won a Novello. I certainly wouldn't base anything on how many teenagers voted on the red button from a pre selected short list of pop stars.

I like Abba, so I buy some Abba. I like the Beach Boys, I bought some Beach Boys. Yesterday, I walked in to a shop and was instructed by the all knowing staff that I should buy some Ulver and some Horace Andy. I did this. 

If any of them are 'winners' it's kind of coincidental. But I guess prizes raise profile? So I understand how the industry sees it as being necessary. Good for them if it works for them.

Great post. Ulver are one of my favorite bands, they have one of the richest and most diverse discogs around. Which album did you pick up? I'm guessing the one released earlier this year.

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

ATGCLVLSSCAP

Very good, excellent first 9 or 10 tracks, less keen on the singing towards the end but perhaps that will grow on me.

That's the one. I haven't heard it yet, but I'm sure it will be great. Garm's singing has always been a bit hit or miss but they definitely do grow on you eventually.

19 minutes ago, BOF said:

That album name sounds like someone getting their lad caught in the zip.

I played some to my nipper as captive audience in the car last night.

Apparently it's a genre called 'repetitive incoherent shite just like the rest of the CD's in your car, dad'.

Well, I like it and it's my car. Driver picks the tunes, it's a science law.

Â