General Chat

Stevo985

Was quite surpsied to read that melting ice caps and climate change could be part of the cause for the increase in geologic happenings we're experiencing...eg earthquakes, volcanic activity etc.

Could you elaborate on that? I'm not entirely show how minute changes in climate and water levels/ice caps would affect the tectonic plates. dmittedly It's been a while since I've done geography properly but that doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

Could you elaborate on that? I'm not entirely show how minute changes in climate and water levels/ice caps would affect the tectonic plates. dmittedly It's been a while since I've done geography properly but that doesn't seem to make much sense to me.

I've seen people try to tie the earthquakes and volcanoes and whatnot to pet climate causes.

About the only causal connection I can conceive of for climate change causing the Iceland volcanoes is the Gaia hypothesis: the ash will tend to reduce temperatures thus mitigating the effect of any global warming that may exist.

I don't buy it.

Was quite surpsied to read that melting ice caps and climate change could be part of the cause for the increase in geologic happenings we're experiencing...eg earthquakes, volcanic activity etc.

I heard they were removing the word gullible from the OED

I've seen people try to tie the earthquakes and volcanoes and whatnot to pet climate causes.

About the only causal connection I can conceive of for climate change causing the Iceland volcanoes is the Gaia hypothesis: the ash will tend to reduce temperatures thus mitigating the effect of any global warming that may exist.

I don't buy it.

Indeed. I just don't see how they can be related. They're fundamentally seperate items. A rise in temperature isn't going to affect the tectonic plates that are the root cause of volcanoes and earthquakes, they only move because of the absolutely enormous amount of heat underneath them. A few degrees on top isn't going to trouble them.

And my spelling and whatnot in that previous post was atrocious :oops:

Â