Spurs - Arry's gone but we still dislike them...

Jondaken

I've had this pointed out to me (and it kinda makes sense).

If Citeh finish 4th they will spend left, right & centre but Spurs remain in the same boat as us.

If Spurs finish 4th, Citeh will STILL buy left, right & centre but now Spurs can also spend and attract bigger names.

So it probably benefits us if Citeh finish 4th as it does the least amount of damage to our prospects.

I still can't bring myself to wish anything but failure on Citeh though.

• Replies 7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If Citeh finish 4th they will spend left, right & centre but Spurs remain in the same boat as us.

If Spurs finish 4th, Citeh will STILL buy left, right & centre but now Spurs can also spend and attract bigger names.

So it probably benefits us if Citeh finish 4th as it does the least amount of damage to our prospects.

This is exactly my view on this, its no win so you have to go with the lesser of the two evils.

4th spot doesnt really atract bigger names. Who did Newcastle, Everton or even Liverpool attract when they finished 4th. Players will follow the money and not 4th. If Spurs get 4th they will sign a lot of overpriced average players.

I think next season we will be chasing Arsenal for the 4th spot along with Spurs, Liverpool and Everton.

Man City will be challanging for the title in my opinion.

Long term it wont open up unless Wenger leaves or Fergie retires and his repacement can't keep the level of success requried to make the repayments.

It is not looking too good in the medium term though :(

4th spot doesnt really atract bigger names. Who did Newcastle, Everton or even Liverpool attract when they finished 4th. Players will follow the money and not 4th. If Spurs get 4th they will sign a lot of overpriced average players.

A small but important distinction. City will be able to offer Champions League football and pay the best wages in world football. If they finish 4th they will go shopping for galacticos, and unlike last year, I think they will get them.

Even if Citeh finish 5th they will still get huge names. They wont get the Kakas and the Messis but then they wouldn't even get them if they finished 4th. There's a level of player who will only play for the top 5 or 6 clubs in the world. I think Citeh's wealth is such that their finishing position is irrelevant. Spurs' OTOH is not.

and yet I'd still like to see Spurs do it. Nurse!

Just as a very slight thaw was setting in on my hated of 'Arry, (because he's been going about his business, keeping a relatively low profile) he comes out and is back to his old tricks.

Harry Redknapp has accused Manchester City of bully-boy tactics in their bid to sign Craig Bellamy and break into the Premier League's top four.

City face Tottenham in a virtual Champions League play-off on Wednesday night.

And, on the eve of the game, Spurs boss Redknapp cranked up the tension by claiming City flexed their financial muscle to sign Bellamy ahead of Spurs.

Redknapp was interested in the Welsh striker from West Ham in January last year, along with Wigan midfielder Wilson Palacios.

Redknapp insists City threatened to buy Palacios too - and believes the Blues were not even interested in the £12m Honduras international as they had agreed a deal to sign Nigel de Jong from Hamburg two days earlier.

"I was trying to sign Bellamy at the same time as Palacios," he said.

City threat

"Then they came and told me 'You know, if you don't drop out of Bellamy, we'll sign Palacios too and you won't get either of them'.

"They just said, 'We'll blow you out of the water, but if you pull out of Bellamy, we'll pull out of Palacios and then we both get a player'. So we had no choice really.

"And then, obviously, the money they offered Bellamy we could not compete with anyway. It's not reasonable but they can do it, can't they?

"They've got the backing, they've got the clout to do that. They can do it if they want somebody. I've never been in that position.

"It probably wasn't the manager at the time, anyway."

Bellamy has gone on to enjoy the best form of his career with City, scoring 10 league goals in 25 starts this season, while Mark Hughes was replaced as City boss by Roberto Mancini in December.

City have denied Redknapp's allegation and are considering legal action against the Tottenham boss.

click

Why why why must he indulge in tactics like this, bringing private deals whether true or false to the surface.

Regardless of Harry. This shows the kind of team Citeh have become and shows just what they'll do to get their way. Ruthless Chel$ki mark 2 (times 10).

Ooh goody. City are gettin' the lawyers in to sort this one out

Citeh strongly deny blocking Tottenham's Bellamy bid

Manchester City have strongly denied Tottenham manager Harry Redknapp's claims that they forced Spurs to drop their efforts to sign Craig Bellamy.

Redknapp claims City threatened to out-bid Tottenham for then-Wigan midfielder Wilson Palacios if Spurs competed for West Ham's Bellamy in January 2009.

"City said: 'If you do not drop out of Bellamy, we are going to sign Palacios'," said Redknapp.

City have instructed their lawyers to look at Redknapp's comments.

"City have made a robust response, strongly denying the claims," said BBC sports news correspondent Gordon Farquhar.

"City say Wigan approached them offering Palacios, while Spurs were in mid-negotiation for him, and that they briefly considered, but swiftly rejected any move for him.

"The Premier League say it is unlikely they will investigate the allegations."

Striker Bellamy moved to Manchester City from West Ham in a deal thought to be worth £14m on 19 January 2009, two days before Palacios completed a £12m switch to Tottenham.

"They said: "If you pull out of Bellamy, we will pull out of Palacios and then we both get a player," said Redknapp. "We had no choice really. They just said 'We will blow you out of the water'.

"They have got the backing, they have got the clout to do that, they can do it if they want somebody."

But at the time of the moves Mark Hughes, then Manchester City manager, rejected claims that the clubs had colluded to avoid bidding against each other for either player as "cheap shots".

Hughes bought another defensive midfielder, Nigel de Jong of Hamburg, on the same day Palacios sealed his move to Tottenham.

De Jong is one of a string of expensive acquisitions made by City since the Abu Dhabi United Group, backed by Sheikh Mansour Bin Zayed Al Nahyan, agreed a takeover on 1 September, 2008.

Wilson Palacios

The club splashed out a British record £32.5m to sign Robinho from Real Madrid later the same day.

Strikers Carlos Tevez, Emmanuel Adebayor and Roque Santa Cruz were recruited last summer for a total of about £68m.

While Joleon Lescott, thought to have cost about £22m from Everton, and Kolo Toure, a £14m buy from Arsenal, were added in defence.

Spurs play City on Wednesday in a match that could decide fourth place in the table.

Redknapp's side travel to Eastlands in possession of the final Champions League qualification spot, with City just a point behind.

The match is the penultimate one of the season for both sides.

In the final round of games on Sunday, City travel to West Ham while Spurs face relegated Burnley.

and Steve Bruce said:

Steve Bruce, the Wigan Athletic manager, has launched a scathing attack on Manchester City and accused them of "disgusting" behaviour for their treatment of Wilson Palacios.

By Neil Johnston Published: 11:00PM GMT 27 Jan 2009

Dirty tricks: City used Wilson Palacios (left) as a bargaining chip to sign Craig Bellamy according to Wigan manager Steve Bruce Photo: GETTY IMAGES

Bruce claimed City had no intention of signing Palacios, the Honduras midfielder, when they approached Wigan for permission to talk to the player earlier this month.

Instead he has accused Wigan's north west rivals of hatching a plot to use Palacios, who has since signed for Tottenham for £14 million, to sign Craig Bellamy from West Ham United.

Bruce believes that City struck a "gentleman's agreement" with Tottenham over Palacios and deliberately stepped aside on the understanding that the London club did not pursue their interest in Bellamy.

That cleared the way for Tottenham, who had earmarked Bellamy as a January signing, to clinch Palacios's signature after they also offered him an improved contract after the player rejected their original personal terms of £20,000-a-week.

Bruce could not hide his anger on Tuesday at City's behaviour and accused them of making Wigan the innocent victims of a dirty tricks cam paign ultimately aimed at landing Bellamy.

"They had no intention of signing Palacios. They used the boy as a weapon and used our club as a vehicle just to get Bellamy," claimed Bruce, whose side entertain Liverpool on Wednesday night.

"I have to say Manchester City's behaviour was absolutely disgusting.

"If they had not come in a week last Friday and unsettled the boy, he would have signed a contract for us.

"The player would have signed. He was wobbling and wasn't sure about going to London.

"We had offered him a contract and he was on the verge of signing that contract. We even went as far as to have the papers drawn up.

"Then Manchester City ring him and it's a different ball game.

"It's a total joke. They took the p*ss out of us to be honest.

"They've shown a lack of respect for this football club and the player himself."

Given that Bruce has said basically the exact same thing about Citeh and he has NO reason to do so other than simply telling the truth then I think it's fairly obvious that Citeh are vile scum and are a cancer waiting to happen - if they haven't already.

I don't really understand why this is being treated as a new story just because of the game this evening, this all came out at the time, the same accusations and the same comments from Bruce. Nothing new here, City have so much money they can do or think they can do what they want and Harry as always is opening his cake hole about other peoples business.

same old, same old.

Â