If we had Torres and Gerrard...

B.Robinson

If we added Torres and Gerrard to the current Villa squad, where would we be in May?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. If we added Torres and Gerrard to the current Villa squad, where would we be in May?

• Clear at the top of the table
    • Challenging for the league
    • Safely in the top 4
    • 5th - 6th

Where would we finish?

It's been discussed a fair bit lately that we are a creative central midfielder and a top striker from being a very, very decent team but I think until you actually put names on these concepts the whole argument is very vague and meaningless.

Now obviously we won't go out and just buy Il Nino and Gerra, but at the same time if you consider that, in my opinion at least, we would be challenging for the title had we these two players in our squad, it shows the strength that we possess in terms of an underlying spine of players. And how many other teams could make this claim?

I know, I know, I'm straying dangerously close to being optimistic with this conjecture, but it's a bank holiday over here and the world just seems a little bit kinder for some reason 8)

Our squad is better than Liverpool's squad without Torres and Gerrard. Those two are the difference for them. If we had them we'd be challenging for the league.

But that is a massive "if". They are fabulous players.

Take the best two players from any of the top 4, and of course we'd be much better. If we had Lampard and Drogba, or Ferdinand and Rooney, of course we'd be transformed. The thing is we don't have any players remotely in that class, which is why they're the Big 4 and we're not.

Take the best two players from any of the top 4, and of course we'd be much better. If we had Lampard and Drogba, or Ferdinand and Rooney, of course we'd be transformed. The thing is we don't have any players remotely in that class, which is why they're the Big 4 and we're not.

Yes but would adding those players to Spurs, Everton, City or Sunderland have the same effect?

Well...we had Barry...that didn't do anything....

IMO this was because we didn't use him properly and Citeh aren't either. Again, IMO, I would love to see Barry in a Plop type set up with a DCM (Mascherano/Essien type) plus an attacking CM (Gerrard or Lampard type) with GB as the playmaker (Alonso or Pirlo type).

I think that this would be the optimal formation for Gareth.

Well...we had Barry...that didn't do anything....

IMO this was because we didn't use him properly and Citeh aren't either. Again, IMO, I would love to see Barry in a Plop type set up with a DCM (Mascherano/Essien type) plus an attacking CM (Gerrard or Lampard type) with GB as the playmaker (Alonso or Pirlo type).

I think that this would be the optimal formation for Gareth.

This is not the optimal, this is the only position he thrives in. He's nowhere near the level of Gerrard, Torres, Alonoso, etc.

Our squad is better than Liverpool's squad without Torres and Gerrard. Those two are the difference for them. If we had them we'd be challenging for the league.

What a load of bollocks 'Stevo.' We would be in the same predicament as Liverpool, in the top four, but no chance of winning the league, as our present squad is just as bad as Liverpool's. Their's, is maybe, slightly better as they have Benayoun, Mascherano, Johnson, Carragher and Kuyt. We have, well, imm, Young and thats it. The rest of our players come under the headline, Distinctly Average!

What a load of bollocks 'Stevo.' We would be in the same predicament as Liverpool, in the top four, but no chance of winning the league, as our present squad is just as bad as Liverpool's. There's is maybe slightly better as they have Benayoun, Mascherano, Johnson, Carragher and Kuyt. We have, well, imm, Young and thats it. The rest of our players come under the headline, Distinctly Average!

So, you only rate Young,yet in the thread about selling Young you said :

'I would sell him for less than 24m. He is too limited in his play and too easy to stop!'

Surely a contradiction. Do you actually have anything good to say about anyone at the Villa?

What a load of bollocks 'Stevo.' We would be in the same predicament as Liverpool, in the top four, but no chance of winning the league, as our present squad is just as bad as Liverpool's. Their's, is maybe, slightly better as they have Benayoun, Mascherano, Johnson, Carragher and Kuyt. We have, well, imm, Young and thats it. The rest of our players come under the headline, Distinctly Average!

Distinctly average, are you having a laugh!?

Gabriel Agbonlahor, James Milner, James Collins, Stuart Downing, Stephen Warnock, these sort of players are not just average players.

Liverpool challenged for the league title last season, and if Torres and Gerrard stay fit then they may well do it thisyear, but will ultimately fall short.

If we had both of those then yes we'd be in the same predicament, in the top 4, challenging for the title but probably not winning it. Which is why I didn't vote that we'd win the league, I voted we'd be challenging. So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

The one and only genuine world class footballer we've had since Paul McGrath was Laursen - now he's retired we have zero. We have some decent 6,7 & 8 out of ten players, but no top. top class players taht would walk into any other team.

The closest one of those we have is Young but he isn't playing well at the moment. Who else would immedietely benefit another top 4 team. None simple as.

What a load of bollocks 'Stevo.' We would be in the same predicament as Liverpool, in the top four, but no chance of winning the league, as our present squad is just as bad as Liverpool's. There's is maybe slightly better as they have Benayoun, Mascherano, Johnson, Carragher and Kuyt. We have, well, imm, Young and thats it. The rest of our players come under the headline, Distinctly Average!

So, you only rate Young,yet in the thread about selling Young you said :

'I would sell him for less than 24m. He is too limited in his play and too easy to stop!'

Surely a contradiction. Do you actually have anything good to say about anyone at the Villa?

Not really a contradiction at all. I would sell Young for less than 24m for the very reasons i have stated. I was just referring to Young as being better than the rest of the players in our squad.

As far as having anything good to say about anyone at the Villa, well, the ball boys do a good job. :winkold: Concerning our manager and present squad, nope!

Â