If we had Torres and Gerrard...

B.Robinson

If we added Torres and Gerrard to the current Villa squad, where would we be in May?  

156 members have voted

1. 1. If we added Torres and Gerrard to the current Villa squad, where would we be in May?

• Clear at the top of the table
    • Challenging for the league
    • Safely in the top 4
    • 5th - 6th

Our squad is better than Liverpool's squad without Torres and Gerrard. Those two are the difference for them. If we had them we'd be challenging for the league.

But that is a massive "if". They are fabulous players.

What a load of bollocks 'Stevo.' We would be in the same predicament as Liverpool, in the top four, but no chance of winning the league, as our present squad is just as bad as Liverpool's. Their's, is maybe, slightly better as they have Benayoun, Mascherano, Johnson, Carragher and Kuyt. We have, well, imm, Young and thats it. The rest of our players come under the headline, Distinctly Average!

Distinctly average, are you having a laugh!?

Gabriel Agbonlahor, James Milner, James Collins, Stuart Downing, Stephen Warnock, these sort of players are not just average players.

No AP, i'm not 'having a laugh.' The players you mention in my opinion, fall considerably short of being described as 'quality!' In my book they are no better than average with of course, much room to improve!

in my opinion, wed be about where liverpool are, maybe slightly lower....... gerrard and torres cant get liverplop near to a title, so theyre certainly not gonna get villa anywhere near one.....

Our squad is better than Liverpool's squad without Torres and Gerrard. Those two are the difference for them. If we had them we'd be challenging for the league.

What a load of bollocks 'Stevo.' We would be in the same predicament as Liverpool, in the top four, but no chance of winning the league, as our present squad is just as bad as Liverpool's. Their's, is maybe, slightly better as they have Benayoun, Mascherano, Johnson, Carragher and Kuyt. We have, well, imm, Young and thats it. The rest of our players come under the headline, Distinctly Average!

Liverpool challenged for the league title last season, and if Torres and Gerrard stay fit then they may well do it thisyear, but will ultimately fall short.

If we had both of those then yes we'd be in the same predicament, in the top 4, challenging for the title but probably not winning it. Which is why I didn't vote that we'd win the league, I voted we'd be challenging. So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

The point i was trying to make was that you said our squad was better than Liverpool's when Liverpool were without Gerrard and Torres! I was disagreeing with your statement!

Liverpool challenged for the league title last season, and if Torres and Gerrard stay fit then they may well do it thisyear, but will ultimately fall short.

If we had both of those then yes we'd be in the same predicament, in the top 4, challenging for the title but probably not winning it. Which is why I didn't vote that we'd win the league, I voted we'd be challenging. So I'm not sure what point you're trying to make.

The point i was trying to make was that you said our squad was better than Liverpool's when Liverpool were without Gerrard and Torres! I was disagreeing with your statement!

I think it would be a very close call. From the liverpool players you mention

Kuyt: Plays up front or right wing, Gabby or Milner are comfortably better than him.

Benayoun: great player. But an on form Ashley Young is still better (granted Young isn't on form at the moment)

Mascherano: No argument there, he's better than anyone we have in that position

Johnson: better than Luke Young? Attacking yes. Defensively, definitely not. Johnson is better overall but not by a million miles.

Carragher: past it. Both Collins and Dunne are better these days.

Gerrad and Torres are the only players they have that would get in, say, the United team week in week out. Possibly Reina as well.

Without Torres and Gerrard their squad really isn't great.

Add Mascherano and Benayoun, who would both walk into our starting XI, and we might be as good as Liverpool are now.

I'm still not convinved on Benayoun. Whenever I watch MotD he looks fantastic, whenever I watch a full game, he goes missing and pops up with the odd goal. Doesn't do anywhere near enough for the team, it doesn't surprise me that he doesn't play all too often.

Kuyt: Plays up front or right wing, Gabby or Milner are comfortably better than him.

Benayoun: great player. But an on form Ashley Young is still better (granted Young isn't on form at the moment)

Johnson: better than Luke Young? Attacking yes. Defensively, definitely not. Johnson is better overall but not by a million miles.

Gerrad and Torres are the only players they have that would get in, say, the United team week in week out. Possibly Reina as well.

Gabby and Milner better than Kuyt? Not in my opinion.

Benayoun is far more effective than Young and also can play the defence spilting pass!

Would far rather have Johnson than Luke Young. Much more complete player with a dash of flair.

Carragher past it? I don't think so. Did you see his performance against United? Would prefer to have him in our defence instead of Dunne. Collins has the potential to be better than Carragher, but not just yet!

Sorry mate do respect your opinion. Maybe we will finally agree on something. :|

It's amazing that some people are quite keen to say X is better than any villa player, yet as soon as they pull on a villa shirt they quite happily slate them, Sidwell being a prime example with everyone saying how much better he was than our midfield because he was at Chelsea and now...

Take out Gerrard and Torres and our's is strong in my opinion.

------------Reina--------------

Johnson-Collins-Agger-Warnock

-------Petrov-Mascherano-----

Milner-------Beanayoun-------Young

-------------Agbonlahor-----------.

In fact if you run through their squad, take out Gerrard and Torres, we have a better squad overall.

Gabby and Milner better than Kuyt? Not in my opinion.

Benayoun is far more effective than Young and also can play the defence spilting pass!

Would far rather have Johnson than Luke Young. Much more complete player with a dash of flair.

Carragher past it? I don't think so. Did you see his performance against United? Would prefer to have him in our defence instead of Dunne. Collins has the potential to be better than Carragher, but not just yet!

Sorry mate do respect your opinion. Maybe we will finally agree on something. :|

That's your opinion. I don't expect it to agreewith me because I don't think we have an average team with a shit manager like you do.

You really think Kuyt is better than Milner and Gabby?

You think Carragher has been anything more than average this season?

Would you swap Young for benayoun?

If your answers are yes then I for one am very thankful you're not our manager because, in my opinion, we'd be in freefall.

You really think Kuyt is better than Milner and Gabby?

Yes. But they are younger so they have the potential to be better. I think a lot of people underrate Kuyt's passing abilities just because he's a workhorse.

You think Carragher has been anything more than average this season?

Yes, but he was terrific against Utd. And if you watch closer btw it shouldnt even have been a card cos Owen was pulling Carragher's arm. That's IMO of course.

Would you swap Young for benayoun?

No. But doesnt take away from the fact that he's a terrific player. I would take Benayoun as our second striker.

Possibly Reina as well.

Possibly? IMO only VDS comes close to his quality. His kicking is no doubt the best, as is his shot stopping ability. If you watch him you notice that he's very comfortable with crosses these days, which was his big weakness in years gone by. Cech seems very average nowadays after his injury, Foster is crap, Friedel - okay he's very good, but is his kicking and reflexes anyway near Reina's?

I think Liverpool are just off form atm, they proved their quality against Man Utd. Theres no doubt in my mind that we still have some way to go to match Plop's starting XI, but we do have a (relatively) young team so there's a lot of promise there. Pool's problem IMO is that they dont have a decent striker to back up Torres (Kuyt doesnt have the same kind of movement and usually he plays right wing anyway where he's more effective, N'gog and Voronin are just woeful.) and the fact that they havent replaced Alonso, who allows them to control games, something they havent done this season IMO

I guess Wolves fans would be saying "Our squad is better than Villa's squad without Agbonlahor and Young".

A strong squad is only a toolbox, that's not enough. It's how you use your tools.

Possibly? IMO only VDS comes close to his quality. His kicking is no doubt the best, as is his shot stopping ability. If you watch him you notice that he's very comfortable with crosses these days, which was his big weakness in years gone by. Cech seems very average nowadays after his injury, Foster is crap, Friedel - okay he's very good, but is his kicking and reflexes anyway near Reina's?

I think Given is the best in the Premier League at the minute. Also thing Jaskalaanen and Schwarzer, both obviously at unfashionable clubs, would push VdS and Reina for second spot.

I guess Wolves fans would be saying "Our squad is better than Villa's squad without Agbonlahor and Young".

Would they? I don't think they would. In fact I'll just ask the Wolves fan who sits next to me at work.....

He said no. Getting a result against a team doesn't mean you have as strong a squad as them. Do Burnley fans think they have as good a squad as United because they beat them at Turf Moor?

I was commenting on our players compared to Liverpool's (minus torres and Gerrard). In my opinion there isn't a massive amount of difference between the squads, and it could be argued that ours is on a par, if not better. Torres and gerrard make a huge difference to them. If we had them I think we'd be in a similar position to Liverpool.

Well, we beat Liverpool (away!) and Chelsea and I think that gave us a lot of confidence. And in our minds those results brought us - our faith in our squad - much closer to those of the big4.

And indeed, there isn't a massive amount of difference between the squads. But Stoke won at White Hart Lane, Wigan beat us. Maybe their squads are not as strong as our (or Spurs's) squad, but as I said - the squad is only a toolbox.

But Torres and Gerrard make the difference.

Â