PL: Blackburn a Ratings and Reactions

limpid

Odd that it's usually 'manager out' chants but I really think we'll start hearing 'heskey out' chants soon. Another game he cost us. Once he was on we never threatened and its was just waiting for them to score.

For 70 minuted I thought we were alright.

We had the ball in their box 4 or 5 times but could not pick out the killer pass. (often picking the wrong option in trying a cross instead of a drilled pass along the ground)

I can understand the logic behind bringing on Heskey. Blackburn weren't really threatening us in open play and we maybe needed an extra head in there against the long throws.

Unfortunately, we lost our shape (ie no width) and Blackburn were able to easily nullify our slow, stodgy passing in the final third.

Everytime they booted it up the pitch we had to clear the ball, leading to more throw-ins and the (it felt like) inevitable goal.

Not the worst day by any means.

I though Delph did very well. He can pick out passes and made lots of tackles around the pitch. Out of the two centre midfielders, he was the better performer

Very dissapointed with that result by villa.Heskey camed on and just was a passager did nothing at all bad move.NRC should have come on instead.Delph is going to be a star first time I have seen him.Must say Ashley Young doesnt do enough for me with the class and talent he has ,yes he put in some top balls in but he goes missing in games to often.I still reckon we miss a playmaker in the middle of the park to control things bigtime.

It was a dodgy penalty thought wasn't it? Just seen it on MOTD.

Not really Dunne's hands were up

I challenge you to find anyone who wouldn't put their hands up when a player infront of them is flying through the air with his foot about to boot you in the face.

In my eye's it's not a penalty. Do we expect defenders to jump with their heads down for balls? No given the close proximity of foot to Dunne's face I don't blame him for putting him arm to protect himself. If you watch the replay he's looking away from the ball and it's frankly a bad call by the referee that's cost us 2 points.

Very dissapointed with that result by villa.Heskey camed on and just was a passager did nothing at all bad move.NRC should have come on instead.Delph is going to be a star first time I have seen him.Must say Ashley Young doesnt do enough for me with the class and talent he has ,yes he put in some top balls in but he goes missing in games to often.I still reckon we miss a playmaker in the middle of the park to control things bigtime.

We didn't replace Barry. We can only hope Downing comes good as Petrov looks invincible regardless of his form.

A captain should be a player that is the first name on the sheet, consistent in form but we have a captain that only performs in one formation and looks utter crap in a 442. We should have got a draw as a minimum today. Can't understand how negative we were in terms of our attacking play, especially after they were reduced to 10 men.

Commentators said no energy in the middle of the park and no desire to win the ball. What does MON expect with Stan in a 4-4-2.

He must have the memory of a goldfish. This keeps happening and he keeps persisting.

I am not frustrated with the result per se but the fact that I know that there is something that could have been done about it and it wasn't. Ditto Wigan.

With the squad we have and the opening games played we should be up there on 15-16 points. All the sides played, with the exception of Plop and possibly Fulham (although their away form is usually poor) will be bottom half.

MON is ruining it for me with his love of Petrov and his inability to use our only high energy CM properly. If he doesn't like him he should have got rid in the summer and replaced with equivalent type of player that he rates more highly. Heskey and Carew should NEVER play as a pair. I feel for Heskey - MON is making him look stupid by not using him correctly. Used properly as he was at Wigan or by Capello he could be an asset to us IMO. His bizarre formations, playing people out of position and inability to make appropriate subs are killing us.

Surely, he has to go back to the successful 4-5-1 with NRC in the next 3 or 4 tough games?? If he starts with Stan and Delph in a 4-4-2 in any of these I will be calling for him to go along with some others.

It was a dodgy penalty thought wasn't it? Just seen it on MOTD.

Not really Dunne's hands were up

I challenge you to find anyone who wouldn't put their hands up when a player infront of them is flying through the air with his foot about to boot you in the face.

It is tough shit though mate they class it as an extension of the body seen them given time and time again.

You can not jump with your arms flailing simple as

granted, it didn't work, but despite the hysterics here, Heskey for Delph actually made some sense.

Delph was on a yellow and has not shown the ability to hold up and be a bit safe in the challenge, so it avoided a possible send off.

Samba moving forward had caused Warnock real problems on high balls so it added some height and strength on that side.

We needed a goal so it created the option of 442 quickly converting to 433.

Milner has proven he can be dangerous in the middle.

Agreed, the middle becomes a little susceptible to attack, but Blackburn wasn't working the ball in from passes in the middle anyway.

The sub had lots of good logic regardless of the outcome, which was admittedly very disappointing. But the sub was not our undoing.

intelligent post, agree completely

re: the penalty

it was handball! the ball struck his hand, and that hand was not in front of his face, it was outstretched up in the air and shouldnt have been there. we have had more penalties given to us this season already than i can ever remember and i'm not convinced that they were all good decisions so i'm not going to whine like a united player when we get one given against us.

the bottom line is that blackburn were still in the game at that moment despite us having a one goal head start and the last 20 minutes or so against ten men. had we got three points, or even one for that matter from a performance like that (and by performance i am talking about players AND manager) it would have just papered over the ever widening cracks we appear to be suffering from.

To MON: 4-5-1 plz. kthxbai.

The penalty was there. If you've got your hands up in the air in the box and the ball strikes them, you can't really complain. A game we should have been able to put away a lot earlier.

You can complain when the attacking players foot is that close to your face! Should not have been a penalty.

This doesn't absolve MON of part-blame though.

That penalty was frustrating, its not clear cut in my mind but I lean towards the `it being right decision` camp.

It looked possible he had denied a goal scoring opportunity with his hands, I know it looked like it was ball to hand and its only a natural reaction to protect yourself if your about to get kicked in the face. However the fact remains you cant put your hands up like that and have a ball go against it, especially not in the box and especially not to stop a ball that could possibly be going on target.

Its a shitter for dunne, I hope he doesnt feel to bad though as I dont think theres much else he could have dunne about it (like what I did there, never get old for me!).