O'Neill - stay or go, the update

Risso

Should O'Neill stay or go?  

535 members have voted

1. 1. Should O'Neill stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

Have you forgotten then end of last season? This isn't just as a result of todays game.

We fell away badly at the end of last season, and he had no answers, he didn't know how to stop the rot, and things appear to be picking up where they left off. Add to that the summer window so far has been poor.

fell off since feb if you ask me..

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Getting rid now and we are this years Newcastle

Nope. We would get a new manager in that could lift the lads up and maybe have a few days trying to sign quality players. I am however well aware over the fact that MON will be given unbelievable amount of time by Lerner.

Remind you all...the team and the squad Villa has now is MONs...he has had three years to build it...together with a quite big transfer budget. We have some talented lads in the team...but the overall quality has much more to wish for.

Getting rid now and we are this years Newcastle

The problems with Newcastle were all to do with the owner. Or do you honestly think that if O'Neill left, Lerner would appoint a chump like Kinnear?

Anyway, with the defence we have, the comparison with Newcastle isn't that far off. Davies and Shorey must be two of the least able defenders in the Premier League.

So under Ellis it was a dreaded 3 year cycle and now under Randy it's good enough to judge.

I said before Randy joined us his PR skills were excellent, well events of the last two weeks tell me even I underestimated it

Like comparing apples and oranges. Under Ellis the managers were rarely given the opportunity to speculate and he was for all intents and purposes a **** nightmare to work for.

This is a different kettle of fish all together. O'Neill has had ample funds to build this squad and virtual cart blanch at the club. And until proven otherwise I refuse to believe we are skint.

Mon though has improved season on season, something we have not seen since the days of Saunders. Whether that continues to be the same this season it is far too early to say. What I do know is though is that by getting rid of the manager now will not lead to any sustained success.

He hasn't improved season on season though.

Last season we were several points clear of Arsenal, who were always going to catch us, which was perfectly acceptable.

But we were 10 points clear of Everton, a similar club with less resources, and they overhauled us. That was a slump of cataclysmic proportions, and one that we don't look like recovering from.

The 'loss of the dressing room' theory is a good one, because if we look at a number of players they certainly don't look like they are playing for the manager.

Its not a witch hunt its a results business today was a continuation from last season we played no different at VP today and lost again 2 wins in 19 I think.

Its not rocket science our defence is so weak both goals today came from bad positioning by defenders. In this department how long would you like to give him. He has not improved us one jot this summer in fact we are weakened.

Its not a witch hunt so get off your high horse. i have said stay haven;t I - so how the hell can it be a witch hunt !

However, like it or not, we started playing poorly in mid-december (eeking out a few results we didn;t deserve) and game by game, it is getting worse and worse and worse.

Jesus - do you think I want us to lose.

Look at the "best single memory thread" and you will see after nearly 800 games, the Blackburn away game is one of the happiest days of my life.

However, today it cost me one adult and two kids season tickets (roughly £40) , £30 in petrol , £15 in food / drink , AND a half a day holiday off work.

For that outlay, I do not expect us to win all the time, that isn;t football, but I do expect the manager to know what is wrong and have the nouse to correct it, and a team to try their best.

And neither of those things have happened since the Stoke game last year !.

I WANT US TO WIN ! - but unfortunately I , and many cannot see that happening - that is all !

and so the witch hunt begins. IMO this is an opportunity a few fans have been waiting a while to jump on,. Oh well another three year cycle begins it seems , and they told me the days of Ellis had gone

So it's OK to question the owner, who has done nothing except back the manager to the hilt, and generally improve things 100% at Villa Park, but it's not OK to question the manager, who is entering his 4th season with a team as badly prepared as we did today, and one of the most inept defences I've seen at Villa Park in years?

Very, very strange logic indeed.

Which top class manager? Tricella always mentions class but never gives us any names!

It's 1 game! As for that Fear article, bollocks to that! I'm as pissed off as anybody with this result but getting rid is not the answer!

Stop talking about first game...

The downward spiral started last season when we sunk like a greystone thrown into water. MONs transfer activity has frustrated fans for years. His tactical "wisdom" amazes even many of MONs fans. The gameplay is awful at times...and when our opponents close down the space for players like Ashley Young we are absolutely clueless on how to change the game. Creativity is a huge question mark on MONs building.

There are MANY managers that can take us further...why do I need to name them? Is that really important?

Not to sure his buys have been that bad to be honest, think who he has sold is more of a problem. MON problem seems to stem from stubbornness, it would be interesting to know how he is regarded by the people who know him "Is he stubborn?"

We have two away games up next, will he revert to a 4-5-1 formation or stick with gabby and Heskey up front? It seems obvious to me that Sidwell and NRC are needed in the middle, will he see it? The defense is being over run because the midfielder's are not tracking back.

We need to get back to walking then we can start to run, lets not loose rather than going all out for a win.

I have voted stay and I think he will for at least this season, if its a bad one then I think he is the sort to offer RL his resignation.

At this time though we should take a look at Newcastle to remind us what happens when the fans have to much say in the way a club is run.

If getting rid is not teh answer then what exactly is?

Getting rid of Randy as some have alluded to?

MON getting his act together and improving a frankly poor squad?

MON improving a quite disgusting run of form stretching back to way back last season?

Changing the formation / starting X1?

Change the coaching staff?

Football is full of three year cycles and this is nothing unique to AVFC. There is a lot wrong at the club on the playing side - that is the side that the fans can see and make comment on.

This is nothing at all to do with one game, questions have been simmering since the start of this frankly awful run. The great start masked a lot of the problems and while finishing 6th was a good performance last year, there could have been more and the outlook is looking slightly overcast at the moment and most don't seem to have an umbrella

Haha, I think you have to give him at the very least the time to sign more players and then a few months to see how the team gels.

If this season turns into a trainwreck come October, Lerner will have a new and unusual dilemna: The possibility of having to sack The Messiah.

But you never know what's really going on behind the scenes. It could be Lerner who's putting the kibosh on certain transfers. MON isnt gonna come out and say he wasnt getting the backing from the owner.

Interesting times ahead...

Martin, you and anyone else can question the manager as much as you want. There's a difference between questionning the bloke and calling for him to leave though, IMO.

I just find it strange that no one is questionning the owner of the club, at all though. Oh well may be we do need a new manager for that to start.

Maybe I'm not as blinded as some by the knight in shinning armour riding in to slay the Ellismonster

Â