1. 1. Should O'Neill stay or go?

• Stay
    • Go

• Replies 767
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Show's fickleness IMO!

It shows that people love the Villa and want the best for it. Wanting one underperforming clun employee sacked isn't being fickle. Going off to support another team would be fickle.

You call booing at half time when 1 down support?

I don't believe they were booing due to the score. I believe it was the horrible football that was being played by the home side.

And we played better after all the booing, Yes?

Well actually yes we did :D:D We started the second half at a much quicker pace and looked like scoring...then we lost the plot later on...

More Booing is needed from the booers next time I feel 8)

Stay for now but there are some real issues that do need sorting out.

The one thing that is really starting to annoy me is the selections, every game the same starting 11. It clearly isn't working you have a squad, yes a bare one but use it. Playing Wigan what are they known for? being a physical side so you play a midfield with a player just coming back from injury and a lightweight kid. You have NRC surely this is the sort of game to play him in. There's just no change teams know exactly what we will play and it is so easy to counter.

How else are the fans supposed to get their feelings across?

I suppose that begs the question about what the fans want.

If they want to pay a few quid and emote to their heart's content, like all-year-round pantomime, then boo away. Don't shout "man on", shout "He's behind you!".

If they want to help their team succeed, then a different approach may be called for. Because shouting abuse at people in public rarely helps them achieve better performances. Except of course those rare cases where the abusers were known to be opposition fans, where players said it helped to motivate them.

If there are cases of home supporters helping their players to greater heights of achievement by screaming dogs' abuse at them, I would be grateful to be given a reference. I don't think it works, really. If it did, I would be all for it. If it doesn't, I wonder whose needs are being served by the abusers. Certainly not mine.

I can't believe people are calling for MONs head now,

i don't remember hearing any of this at all one week ago.

And who on earth would we replace him with?

There's quite a number actually. The rumours on the grapevine are there's internal strife in the camp. Depending on how bad the strife is will determine how quickly he departs.

I can't believe people are calling for MONs head now,

i don't remember hearing any of this at all one week ago.

And who on earth would we replace him with?

Could you type some people?

Im not one of them,not yet.

A week ago we did not start playing the same football we saw from January onwards and continue to the start of the new season.I was expecting to see something other than the relegation football the villa played the entire second half of last season.

There has always been a long supply of prospective new managers.

re booing: i agree completely that booing during a match is counter productive. however booing at the full time whistle is something im ok with should people decide that they want to. its not something youd ever find me doing, but i can completely understand why others who have paid good money to be there do it

re: sacking mon... any change in manager now would be silly. we're close enough to the transfer window closing that at the VERY LEAST mon should get til christmas without question (not including finding ourselves in the bottom 5 come mid-october). a change of manager in late august/early september isnt ideal. while it worked for spurs i dont think its something that any club would aim for. perhaps a december 1st re-evaluation of how things are going would be a safer bet. if its still looking ropey, bring someone in early in december, give them 3 weeks to suss out the team in training and decide who they want to bring in, then let them have the january window. failing that, give mon til the end of the season... i strongly doubt even the most pessimistic of fans could forseee a relegation battle on our hands, and if thats not the case, but we're still poor, then letting him go til the end of the season would be fine

of course we might all of a sudden turn it around, play majestic football, and find ourselves top of the league come january, so its just pie in the sky really

Stay. He should get one more season to show he has the ability to take us forward. After that, if the cupboard is still bare, I'd be surprised if there wasn't a parting of ways.

That said, I reckon there will be some serious money spent in the next 2 weeks.

Stay. I haven't changed my mind but I am about to. This was only the first game of the season, so.

Without dramatic changes in formation, line-up, tactics and even attitude there will be no changes. The performance was so simple, no imagination, no creativity. That was League Division 1 style 30 years ago. Simple dull 4-4-2 formation with no idea. There has been no change since February. We need to reboot and update!

My instant thoughts after (and during) Wigan game: This means relegation.

Off topic:

I watched PSV vs. Ajax and every player in every position was better than any Villa player in any position. There are quality players out there. Wenger bought Vermaelen, ... who? By now he is already top4 class.

Spot on Ponky on both points.....alot of teams got a serious wake up call on the weekend (not just us)....Everton, Liverpool, maybe even ManU and Chelsea. Bring it on![/quote

How many of those teams have played this way since january?

Â