Yes or no! Would you be bothered if Barry went?

jackso55

Would you be bothered if Barry went?  

317 members have voted

1. 1. Would you be bothered if Barry went?

• Yes
    • No
    • Don't Know

This. I think the problem lies in Barry's inability to beat a player with the ball at his feet, be that with pace or skill. I don't think he wants to push on, get dispossessed and look silly.

It's not even that aspect that I'm on about. He's no longer on the edge of the box ready for a stray ball or a broken up play ready to smack it back down the keeper's throat. He's not even pushing forward without the ball anymore. Which really affects our goal threat. That's where the confusion lies in his role too.

This. I think the problem lies in Barry's inability to beat a player with the ball at his feet, be that with pace or skill. I don't think he wants to push on, get dispossessed and look silly.

It's not even that aspect that I'm on about. He's no longer on the edge of the box ready for a stray ball or a broken up play ready to smack it back down the keeper's throat. He's not even pushing forward without the ball anymore. Which really affects our goal threat. That's where the confusion lies in his role too.

Agreed and I do think our 'style' of counter attacking has taken it's toll on both GB and Stan as both can no longer last 90mins chasing the ball from end to end... Saturday both of them seemed knackered at 60mins and the week before it was the same.

Both Barry and Petrov should be sold in the summer to allow our team to become more balanced! I have difficulty in reasoning why a player who now struggles to last a full ninety minutes should be offered a new 2-3 year contract? We would still get a reasonable fee for Petrov due to his consistancy this season and we could therefore use that money to purchase a younger, more athletic player. If Petrov is having trouble finishing games now, what would his fitness level be like in two years time, where we would get next to nothing for him in the transfer market?

While i would like to keep Barry, albeit in a different system, it is my opinion that he will leave in the summer. Far from this being an absolute disaster, if we, again replaced him with a younger, more creative player, such as Defour, then overall, the balance of our midfield and team would be improved!

I agree, much as I like Barry, and think what a great player he has been for the last 10 years, I think it's time for him to move on. Both he and Petrov are great players, but they don't form a great partnership

with due respect, Petrov has never been, or never will be a 'great' player. he just doesn't bring enough to the table

This is our pundit who a year ago was constantly banging on about how Petrov is shit, always has been shit and always will be shit. Despite the evidence this season I somehow doubt he will deviate from his earlier position.

I'm kind of looking forward to seeing something different iin our midfield. We need a change in this position. We're not mobile enough and don't pose any goal threat from this area.

Looking forward to seeing Joey Barton in the claret and blue ;-)

Looking forward to seeing Joey Barton in the claret and blue ;-)

I hope to god that is some kind of sick joke :shock:

In quoting, you missed the bit about "posing a threat"...which sort of pointed it out...

Platt is debatable, Yorke doesn't even come close.

Both were better in my view.

Alongside McGrath, Platt and Yorke would both easily be classed as amongst our greatest ever modern day players. On their day they were both world class, hence their trophy filled careers. The fact that Platt is now a Villa-hating, bulbous-eyed salad dodger and that Yorke turned into a badge-kissing Judas doesn't alter the fact that they were both amazing players for Villa. Barry has been a great servant for 10 years, but is in no way as good a player as either of those, not by a huge distance.

Platt is debatable, Yorke doesn't even come close.

Both were better in my view.

Alongside McGrath, Platt and Yorke would both easily be classed as amongst our greatest ever modern day players. On their day they were both world class, hence their trophy filled careers. The fact that Platt is now a Villa-hating, bulbous-eyed salad dodger and that Yorke turned into a badge-kissing Judas doesn't alter the fact that they were both amazing players for Villa. Barry has been a great servant for 10 years, but is in no way as good a player as either of those, not by a huge distance.

I agree with risso. :shock:

....In the same vein as I was when gray,deehan & Gidman left at the same time.

but we then went on to win the league and euro cup.

I think he has had his day with us and it shows.... he looks like he wants out of the marriage and is playing like he is playing to get away.I think he thinks we should have brought in players as good as him and we havn't.... he looks worn out.

we will change our style when he's gone and I think it will be for the better.

at least I hope so.

I really hope we give Barry a 2-3 weeks ultimatum after the Newcastle game. Sign a contract or leave. We can't afford having this disrupting the squad and transfers through the summer.

Barry was genuinely ill last night but appears he is off . If we persist in playing with the two in the centre then to be honest he isn't best suited as he doesn't have the engine ! Love him as a player been a great servant but wouldn't deny him his chance of Champions League now and we won't miss him as much as we would have before .

Â