The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

1 hour ago, Xann said:

Saw PJ Harvey on Friday, £75. £40 for a tee. Frugal visuals. No support.

Screenshot2023-10-05at11_47_14.thumb.png.cca7e8572d20cf1fba35f705c5a3f268.png

Same money, for the best tickets!

https://www.southbankcentre.co.uk/whats-on/classical-music/marin-alsop-conducts-rhapsody-blue?eventId=849951

Next time you see gouging money for a gig you were hoping to see, you might consider seeing an orchestral concert instead?

I usually go to see smaller bands for £20 in venues with sticky floors :D

• Like 2

Went to see Wolves at the Gate this evening. They're a (I have now learned) Christian metalcore act. The "Christian" bit had passed me by, and apparently half of rock city also missed that, judging by the flow to the bar and the gradual buildup of resentment up to outright booing towards the end of the band's literal 20 minute long religious sermon towards the end of the set. **** hell, they misjudged how that shit would play outside of the US.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Went to see Wolves at the Gate this evening. They're a (I have now learned) Christian metalcore act. The "Christian" bit had passed me by, and apparently half of rock city also missed that, judging by the flow to the bar and the gradual buildup of resentment up to outright booing towards the end of the band's literal 20 minute long religious sermon towards the end of the set. **** hell, they misjudged how that shit would play outside of the US.

Once attended the warp tour where Underoath insisted it was dry. Their brand of evangelism wasn't called out by any others apart from NOFX. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Sober me the next morning: Come on mate, you had a few beers, but there's no **** way that was 20 minutes. Maybe 5. too bloody long either way :D 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, Davkaus said:

Sober me the next morning: Come on mate, you had a few beers, but there's no **** way that was 20 minutes. Maybe 5. too bloody long either way :D 

The concept of "Christian" metal bands I don't think succeed particularly well outside of the USA. Wasn't it the case for a lot of them that the reason that they are "Christian" was that their parents wouldn't allow them to play this type of music if it wasn't? 

• 2 weeks later...

Peter Hook at Hammersmith Apollo on Sat night  .. Saw him at Sub89 in Reading 6 months ago and as that venue only hold around 200 people to me it was a better , more intimate gig  , but he still put on a great show , New Orders Substance in full  followed by Joy Divisions Substance in full ( slight cheat as its really  compilation album)

surprise of the night was Damon Albarn turning up on stage and doing a  Goriilas track  (Aries) with them 

Level 42 next week in Guildford .. i must have a soft spot for bassist's  .... 

Off to Manchester tonight for an Arena gig I mentioned up thread, Luke Combs. I think he is one of those country music people that has crossed over a bit so expect it to be a little busy. Its at a place called the AO Arena near Victoria. I believe this was the MEN Arena and the site of the Terrorist attack at the Ariana Grande concert. Never been here before, hope my wife can get to a bar without missing too much of the concert.

• Like 1

saw Brain of J at the Water rats in Kings Cross on Friday night 

They are a Pearl Jam tribute act .... if you closed your eyes you could almost believe you were hearing Eddie Vedder singing 

£10 for a ticket and they played around a 2 hour 30 min set  , it sounded great  , if you are a Pearl Jam fan , then you should definitely check them out and see if they are playing near you 

• Like 3

Another 80’s nostalgia night at Guildford tonight with Level 42  , few of their songs can be a bit repetitive but as a package with the backing musicians and the extended solos it was a decent gig

Christians were supporting , expect Bicks along at some point to tell us how the lead singers mum was once his babysitter or something 

7 hours ago, tonyh29 said:

Another 80’s nostalgia night at Guildford tonight with Level 42  , few of their songs can be a bit repetitive but as a package with the backing musicians and the extended solos it was a decent gig

Christians were supporting , expect Bicks along at some point to tell us how the lead singers mum was once his babysitter or something 

I did actually move some furniture from his old flat to his new house for Gary Christian once :D 

Level 42 - meh to the power of meh. A colleague went to see that gig and said he got rather bored by the bass solos, I thought he might have got out of that habit in the last 35 years or so but apparently not. I remember working a Level 42 gig at the Royal Court in the 80s, it was mind numbingly dull. Mark King is undoubtedly a nice bloke and a great bass player but the music is just boring. He’d make a great addition to someone else's band.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bickster said:

I did actually move some furniture from his old flat to his new house for Gary Christian once :D 

Level 42 - meh to the power of meh. A colleague went to see that gig and said he got rather bored by the bass solos, I thought he might have got out of that habit in the last 35 years or so but apparently not. I remember working a Level 42 gig at the Royal Court in the 80s, it was mind numbingly dull. Mark King is undoubtedly a nice bloke and a great bass player but the music is just boring. He’d make a great addition to someone else's band.

I wouldn't have said it was boring , but get where they are coming from  .. but I prefer it when bands go off and extend songs , chuck in some solos , rather than just playing it exactly as it sounded on the record 

They were kinda known as a Jazz funk band when they first started and that's sorta where they went  yesterday with the sax and trumpets  and lets get a groove going and have a 5 minute jam session  .... For a sober Monday night it, I thought it worked , if it had been a Friday night and I was full of alcohol I'd probably have wanted something a bit different 

This is not a slight on you @tonyh29 as it may seem I am attacking Level 42 and by extension you, when I am not. We have completely different music taste but you are enthusiastic about the bands you like and that's a good thing. For me though, Level 42 growing up with one of those bands that came on top of the pops and I would find something else to do. They never held my attention and sadly particularly with Running In The Family, they were over played and familiarity breeds contempt. Never as bad as some of the awful soul in the charts during the 80s but never a band that I would linger on.

6 minutes ago, Seat68 said:

This is not a slight on you @tonyh29 as it may seem I am attacking Level 42 and by extension you, when I am not. We have completely different music taste but you are enthusiastic about the bands you like and that's a good thing. For me though, Level 42 growing up with one of those bands that came on top of the pops and I would find something else to do. They never held my attention and sadly particularly with Running In The Family, they were over played and familiarity breeds contempt. Never as bad as some of the awful soul in the charts during the 80s but never a band that I would linger on.

I've no real affiliation to level 42 so its fine to criticise them , I won't take it personally :) 

I was about 12 when "Living it up " came out  ..Jazz funk was a thing  so  it was probably Freeze , Mezzaforte and Level 42  that me and my mates were listening to , so 40 years later going to see them live was really just another trip down memory lane , same as seeing flock of Seagulls the other week ..and Blancmange  next year ... I just like live music tbh 

back to L42 ,  Running in the family  , lesson in love etc are a bit meh if you ask me too repetitive and a bit too long  ..  and as you say way overplayed to the point  you even go off  the song  ,  but  don't you find that with a lot of songs ? ... I like Teen Spirit , but I physically groan every time I see a pub band and they play it , play Lithium or something else for a change 

• Like 2

On 24/10/2023 at 10:24, tonyh29 said:

play Lithium or something else for a change 

from my time as a covers band singer I went with playing what the people wanted. Although yeah, I'd probably want to hear territorial pissings or something just for the dhits and giggles myself, like you and lithium. In the pub world they all want that same song again. most asked for song in my day was mustang sally. Didnt matter where you went or what sort of pub it was. Some lady somewhere would want Mustang Sally. I blame Andrew Strong :D

• Like 1

Saw Jacqui McShee's Pentangle last night. The name is appropriate, as she's the only one still active from the classic 60s lineup (legendary guitarists John Renbourn and Bert Jansch both sadly long dead). 

They were always an unusual blend of folk and jazz, but the current lineup has swung decisively in the jazz direction - which I think flummoxed a few audience members who were expecting a folk act. Gone are the acoustic guitars, replaced by a rather shit-hot bass/drums/keyboards/tenor sax lineup. Jacqui is now 79, and I feared the worst for her voice, but aside from a slight reduction of power, she's still got it. 

There were a couple of trad folk songs still in the set, but in very different jazz-tinged arrangements. 

Really enjoyed it. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Saw Jacqui McShee's Pentangle last night. The name is appropriate, as she's the only one still active from the classic 60s lineup (legendary guitarists John Renbourn and Bert Jansch both sadly long dead). 

They were always an unusual blend of folk and jazz, but the current lineup has swung decisively in the jazz direction - which I think flummoxed a few audience members who were expecting a folk act. Gone are the acoustic guitars, replaced by a rather shit-hot bass/drums/keyboards/tenor sax lineup. Jacqui is now 79, and I feared the worst for her voice, but aside from a slight reduction of power, she's still got it. 

There were a couple of trad folk songs still in the set, but in very different jazz-tinged arrangements. 

Really enjoyed it. 

I saw them in the early 90s and didn't appreciate them on the night. Afterwards was the point I started listening to them but jazz leanings puts me off a little. 

Â