The Concert/Gig Thread

chrisp65

Its gone quiet over the next few weeks, after seeing so many bands recently, all of them rockabilly, its nice for it to be quiet, coming up outside of minor rockabilly and country acts, have got Darius Rucker at the wulfren in november.

Yes some years back, he is marvellous, overshadowed a little by Imelda May, but the label he is on at the moment, Wild, are releasing some of the best forward thinking rockabilly out there. Him, Rhythm Shakers, Delta Bombers, Jake Allen. All great stuff. Darrel Higham and Paul Ansell are those two names that have been around for years, overlooked a little outside of certain circles.

Got me a ticket to see The Fall at Brudenell Social, in November. :D On a Friday night too, so will be getting good and boozed up in dirty Leeds into the bargain! 

I only saw The Fall once, and obviously I only knew about 30% of the songs but its probably in my top ten gigs ever, band played, Mark E Smith walked on, did his thing, walked off, the band ended. Amazing loved every second of it.

• Like 2

Got me a ticket to see The Fall at Brudenell Social, in November. :D On a Friday night too, so will be getting good and boozed up in dirty Leeds into the bargain! 

I only saw The Fall once, and obviously I only knew about 30% of the songs but its probably in my top ten gigs ever, band played, Mark E Smith walked on, did his thing, walked off, the band ended. Amazing loved every second of it.

Yeah this will be the 6th time I've seen them. To quote John Peel, "always different, always the same". I was telling a lad I work with, I've got tickets, and he said he'd like to see them, but didn't think they'd play the songs he wanted to hear. I told him 100% they wouldn't, but it would still be brilliant!

They were a band that I hadnt seen but loved odd albums, witch trials, extricate, hex induction hour, bend sinister and my wife literally knew a handful of singles, but she would probably count that gig in her top ten too. Superb, really good, recommend anyone with a passing interest in them to go and see them. 

Another gig omission of mine is half man half biscuit, never seen them but as they are playing the robin 2 in october, I think I will remedy that.

They were a band that I hadnt seen but loved odd albums, witch trials, extricate, hex induction hour, bend sinister and my wife literally knew a handful of singles, but she would probably count that gig in her top ten too. Superb, really good, recommend anyone with a passing interest in them to go and see them. 

Another gig omission of mine is half man half biscuit, never seen them but as they are playing the robin 2 in october, I think I will remedy that.

Saw HMHB in Stockton last year. Excellent gig, although there did seem to be an extraordinary amount of drunk Scousers there.

I saw The Fall at Warwick Art Center earlier in the year, the sound was pretty atrocious but it was an entertaining show, MES even looked like he was enjoying himself. I've also managed to catch HMHB in the past year, that was great fun as the place was packed and everybody in the room knew every word to every song.

Anyway, I actually dropped in here to do a bit of spamming, if anybody is around Wolvo tonight and is looking for something to do, we're playing a free gig supporting the excellent Silhouettes (who may be known to some of you for playing at that kit launch festival thing).

I've seen Half Man Half Biscuit at the Robin before, good stuff.

Got tickets for Electric Wizard in Manchester in October, never seen em before \m/>____<\m/

Got tickets for Electric Wizard in Manchester in October, never seen em before \m/>____<\m/

Ooh, Electiric Wizard?! Might have to check that out!

I've seen HMHB a few times (over a +20 years span) and they are always fantastic.

One date only, at the Ritz!

If you go hit me up pal, I'll bring your noise mixtape ;)

• Like 1

One date only, at the Ritz!

If you go hit me up pal, I'll bring your noise mixtape ;)

Yeah, I had a look. Can't do that date though unfortunately. 

• 2 weeks later...

Still recovering from ArcTanGent last week.  It was absolutely feckin' brilliant.  Got there quite early on Thursday with plenty of time to get set up in the tent and have a good mill about until the first act was on.  Just the one stage on the Thursday, but the line-up was ridiculous and we only skipped one act to get some grub.  Highlights for the day were The Physics House Band playing a heap of new material, Three Trapped Tigers closing their set with 11 followed by Reset (the combination of which meant I'd already done my neck in after day one) and Nordic Giants who struggled through 15 minutes of setup issues to put on the second best performance of the whole festival for me (certainly the best spectacle with the creepy raven costumes and ethereal audio-visual set up).  Highly recommend catching them live to anyone.  Ever so slightly disappointed with And So I Watch You From Afar, though they were entertaining and the crowd was well into it, I would have liked to have heard some of the earlier, heavier stuff.  They seemed to stick exclusively to the more upbeat noodling of All Hail Bright Futures, which I do like but it does tend to get a bit samey after a while, something like These Riots would have just broken it up a bit but then I don't know if the line-up change since the last time we saw them live means they're phasing out the older numbers.  Still, like I say the crowd were buzzing which always makes for an enjoyable experience.

By Friday we'd realised the double decker bus/book-mobile was the best place to chill out between acts and - crucially - get the cheapest tea and coffee.  Plus they had a scrabble board, guitar and a ukelele (the missus and I sat down for 5 minutes and worked out how to play Dueling Banjos, then followed that with a rendition of My Lovely Horse).  Our plan of attack for the day meant a rather nice juxtaposition flitting between mathy bands like Alpha Male Tea Party and 100 Onces and the folky post-rock acts like Monster Build Mean Robots and Human Pyramids (the latter of which felt more like watching a school choir and lead to a wonderful call and response chant from the audience during Relapse).  Sadly, Friday also saw the worst clashes. In the end we went for Tellison's more straight-up indie rock over Enemies (I figured there's probably only so much math-rock the missus can take, plus we still had a day to go) and they didn't disappoint, then we opted for Tera Melos over Cleft (although apparently Cleft closed their set with covers of RATM's Bulls On Parade and Killing In The Name Of, which must have been bloody ace, bit gutted to have missed that).  Weather took a turn for the worse and the mud started to set in, but we soldiered on to the band I was practically wetting my pants looking forward to; El Ten Eleven.  By gawd they did not disappoint.  Some of the sounds Kristian Dunn gets out of his double neck guitar/bass combo are face-meltingly good, when the drummer started hammering out bass licks with his drumsticks simultaneously on the same guitar it was just a feckin' sight to behold.  They even got a sing-along (or what amounts to one for an instrumental band) for My Only Swerving.  Just amazing, worth the price of admission alone.  On to Russian Circles for the headline act, but three songs in the rain became somewhat apocalyptic so we wimped out and beat a hasty retreat to enjoy the rest of their set from the safety of the tent.

Saturday was a more sedate (and much drier) affair as there were less acts on that we were keen on seeing so we took the time to take in the rest of the festival (by which I mean hit every food stand going; ice cream, burritos, pizza, pad thai, some tasty stuff on offer).  Managed to somewhat control my spending on tees at the merch tent (for a change), I think our bank account had suffered enough by that point.  Walking around chatting to random people was definitely a highlight too, so many like-minded folk happy to shoot the shit about music or anything, there was definitely a sense of community about the whole thing.  As for bands, No Spill Blood were immense despite playing to a fairly sparse and static tent (think most folk had shot off to see Alarmist instead) and being afforded a second chance to see Mutiny On The Bounty was great.  Gunning For Tamar won the everything-that-can-go-wrong-will-go-wrong award, having broken a guitar and put their foot through the kick drum after two songs.  They struggled on with some acoustic numbers but we used the opportunity to get a good spot at the main stage for Tall Ships who were very well received.  We then had a mad dash to catch the start of &U&I who tore the roof with a set that included a Blakfish tribute and a fantastic cover of Kiss From A Rose.  Then back to main stage for God Is An Astronaut, whom we saw about 5 years ago and, oddly enough at the time they bored the arse off of us.  None of that this time around though, when they dropped Calistoga I nearly gave myself a hernia launching myself up the railing.  Japanese bands LITE and Mono saw out the rest of the festival, rather than crowd in for Mono we sat on a bench on the top of the hill overlooking the stage and just took in the moonlight to the sounds of Hymn To The Immortal Wind etc.  Special feckin' moment.  Did the Silent Disco until about 3am when we couldn't dance and sing anymore, all of which was brilliant but especially taking off your headpones to listen a couple hundred people drunkenly belting out a mix of Spice Girls, Wheatus, Eiffel 65, Game Of Thrones theme tune, At The Drive-In, Rage Against The Machine, Jurassic Park theme, Darude, Zombie Nation and a whole mess of random stuff.  We joined in with some random group singing songs from The Muppets' Christmas Carol.  Feckin' magic.

Probably can't afford to do it again next year, but I'm damn sure saving up those pennies for 2016.

• Like 3

Â