The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Well, I finally got round to Old Boy.

Good movie. Not quite the masterpiece that is often claimed, but enjoyable. My only criticism is that it wears its influences a bit obviously - a bit of Godard, a bit of Kubrick, a bit of Leone, a bit of Tarantino. [1] It's like a film studies project.

[1] EDIT: And no doubt, a whole bunch of far eastern directors I know nothing of. I notice that it did have the inevitable fight scene where the hero is surrounded by the bad guys and they come at him one at a time so he can drop them. Yawn.

You mean the scene that was done in one shot? it bloody genius. Also the greatest twist of all time, no?

I bet you love the hollywood remake.

[1] EDIT: And no doubt, a whole bunch of far eastern directors I know nothing of. I notice that it did have the inevitable fight scene where the hero is surrounded by the bad guys and they come at him one at a time so he can drop them. Yawn.

Not one-by-one at all, hence the protagonist would not have ended up with a knife in his back! Technically it's decent fight scene and quite realistic as the corridor was narrow and also filmed in one continuous take.

As a martial artist myself it was fairly well-executed.

I notice that it did have the inevitable fight scene where the hero is surrounded by the bad guys and they come at him one at a time so he can drop them. Yawn.

Yawn? Cliché or not sir, that scene is excellent!

Sorry, but I have an antipathy to martial arts generally. Kung-fu, ninjas, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Crouching Tiger, you name it. Can't stand that stuff.

Martial arts? I must have watched that scene over 20 times, there aint much martial arts involved. Street fighting scenes of that quality are rare as rocking horse shit. It's an astonishing piece of cinema as is the film generally and you, my friend, are wrong :winkold:

Went to see Kill List yesterday.

A tense, brooding film. Great showing of ultra-violence and a really creepy and unexpected last half hour. Some found it laugh out loud humorous in places as well, but for me it was far too claustrophobic. I really, really enjoyed it in a masochistic way.

8/10

I notice that it did have the inevitable fight scene where the hero is surrounded by the bad guys and they come at him one at a time so he can drop them. Yawn.

Sorry, but I have an antipathy to martial arts generally. Kung-fu, ninjas, Bruce Lee, Jackie Chan, Crouching Tiger, you name it. Can't stand that stuff.

Martial arts? I must have watched that scene over 20 times, there aint much martial arts involved. Street fighting scenes of that quality are rare as rocking horse shit. It's an astonishing piece of cinema as is the film generally and you, my friend, are wrong :winkold:

It's not a classical martial arts scene but it does have martial arts techniques. Two front kicks and one side-kick, 'he' uses good economy of movement, switches stances regularly, utilises cadence correctly, his rear heel is poised which are factors all discussed at length by Bruce Lee in his philosophy of Jeet Kune Do.

It's not a classical martial arts scene but it does have martial arts techniques. Two front kicks and one side-kick, 'he' uses good economy of movement, switches stances regularly, utilises cadence correctly, his rear heel is poised which are factors all discussed at length by Bruce Lee in his philosophy of Jeet Kune Do.

Fine, whatever. Like I say, not something I've ever had any interest in. Once those scenes start I start getting the urge to make a cup of tea. Whole films' worth would have me climbing the walls.

Been to see "One day" at the cinema yesterday.

Its not a great film, theres not really much you can do with the story, as the charm of the story is the writing, rather than the plot. (David Nicholls, writer of the Cold Feet Series, and Starter for 10). Actually, theres virtually no plot to the film, other than ups and downs of the two, bookmarked on the same day, through 20 years. The book is really pleasant to read, til the end, which just fails, and I have yet to find anyone disagree.

But it's nicely acted and Anne Hathaway is really cute. And two hours of Anne Hathaway being cute is good enough for me on this occasion. It's one to take the girlfriend to, but do read the book first, it will help you understand the paper thin plot device.

Anyone seen The Burma conspiracy? I consider to watch that one now. Shall i?

Have you seen the first one?

Nope. Is this a sequel or a remake?

Burma Conspiracy is a sequel to this:

517oFs6f8nL._SS500_.jpg

Haven't seen either though so I can't tell you if you need to see the first one to get the second one. Just thought I'd point it out so you knew.

Â