The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

OK - It's official. I do not get horror movies. Watched the Babadook tonight and it left me fairly cold. A couple of hair-on-the-back-of-the-neck moments but there wasn't a single surprise in it for me. I had the story pegged from the minute the book appeared and by the end I was a bit bored.

I know I'm in the minority on this one but I'm glad to have watched it, even if only to prove that I'm not as much of a scaredy-cat as I thought I was :)

• Like 1

OK - It's official. I do not get horror movies. Watched the Babadook tonight and it left me fairly cold. A couple of hair-on-the-back-of-the-neck moments but there wasn't a single surprise in it for me. I had the story pegged from the minute the book appeared and by the end I was a bit bored.

I know I'm in the minority on this one but I'm glad to have watched it, even if only to prove that I'm not as much of a scaredy-cat as I thought I was :)

I have a question.

What was the babadook?

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

I appreciated what he was going for with house of the devil but I thought it was a bit of a let down, as was innkeepers. I like that west tries to go for the stories rather than scares but his films just lack that something for me. For me it may be the lack of creepiness with his ghost stories. Innkeepers had a cool story but wasn't creepy or scary in the slightest.

I may be being a little unfair, I don't know, I just can't put my finger on it with ti west films.

The innkeepers takes a definite less is more approach and I can understand why for some that equals boring and not at all scary.

For me it worked and the scene where they are both sat in the cellar was IMO a masterclass of how you can ratchet up the tension without really showing a single thing.

• Like 1

I have a question.

What was the babadook?

The Babadook was a manifestation of her grief, her resentment that her son survived when her husband died. That much was apparent as soon as we found out that her husband died on the day the son was born

Fair enough. I ask because

I've heard a few people not like it because they thought the babadook was just a scary monster, without realising what it represented.

I agree that you know what the Babadook is pretty early on, but I'm not sure it's meant to be a big surprise or twist. The film is about how she deals with it and what it does to her

Edited by Stevo985

Watched Big Game over the weekend..........................WTF was Samuel L Jackson thinking?

Have you seen most of the crap he is in? Dont know how he gets away from the abuse Nicholas Cage gets for making so much shit

Well Big Game makes Snakes on a Plane look good

Watched Big Game over the weekend..........................WTF was Samuel L Jackson thinking?

Have you seen most of the crap he is in? Dont know how he gets away from the abuse Nicholas Cage gets for making so much shit

Well Big Game makes Snakes on a Plane look good

But snakes on a plane ........was good .........

Terminator Genisys is easily the worse film i've seen this year so far and would push it for a good few years as well... i've seen the latest Transformers!

Perfect example of an action film failing, didn't help that it came out in the same summer as Fury Road which has the best directed actions scenes in years.

Oh and nothing make sense, things happened for a reason in the first two films, things happen in this because the director/writers think it looks cool or something.

Dreadful.

I liked the bale film, they ruined it entirely with the reveal in the trailer but it had some good stuff in it, reading the reviews for genisys it seems like the general opinion on salvation was that it was a bit dour and boring, so by the sounds of it they've gone for big action set pieces that are by the numbers and "exciting" but ultimately shit at the same time

Put it to bed

Edited by villa4europe

I actually think terminator 3 is underrated, not a bad film at all. Salvation was ok as well but a bit pointless in the terminator world.

Won't even bother with genesis until the bluray comes out

I liked Salvation but it didnt feel like a Terminator movie though and I dont remember much hype about it at the time except for Bale having a go at people on set

as for Genisys I knew it wouldnt be great the moment I saw Emilia Clarke cast as main character. She really cant act and she doesnt feel like Sarah Connor

I actually think terminator 3 is underrated, not a bad film at all. Salvation was ok as well but a bit pointless in the terminator world.

Won't even bother with genesis until the bluray comes out

Terminator 3 isn't very good.

But the ending was excellent

Terminator Genisys is easily the worse film i've seen this year so far and would push it for a good few years as well... i've seen the latest Transformers!

Perfect example of an action film failing, didn't help that it came out in the same summer as Fury Road which has the best directed actions scenes in years.

Oh and nothing make sense, things happened for a reason in the first two films, things happen in this because the director/writers think it looks cool or something.

Dreadful.

When I was at the cinema last weekend, two of the trailers were for Ant Man and Pixels

I reckon if you go and see them they'll beat Terminator Genisys as worst film of the year. They both looked utter, utter shite.

Dreadful.

When I was at the cinema last weekend, two of the trailers were for Ant Man and Pixels

I reckon if you go and see them they'll beat Terminator Genisys as worst film of the year. They both looked utter, utter shite.

I doubt it, i bet they have a coherent story that makes some type of sense. All of David Lynch films combined make more sense than Terminator Genisys. Ant Man is also getting positive reviews, but i know your extremely biased against all 'superhero' films before even seeing them though ;)

I suppose there's an element of that. But I still see trailers for superhero films and think they look alright. 

In fact, the trailer is often the best part about them!

But this one just looked absolute garbage, although I must admit the bit with the toy train did raise a smile.

Seeing Terminator tomorrow. I know it'll be bad but it's a evenings fun even of it's as hopelessly shit as it appears.

Antman has been reviewing really well, which even I'm surprised about. With all the weird stuff in it's development and being an odd character for Marvel even, and really mixed word of mouth from previews a while back and trailers looking ropey that seemed based around the film being embarrassed of itself, I thought that was a nailed on miss from Marvel.

Apparently not. Imax it is then.

My only gripe with Ant Man is that Edgar Wright didn't direct it.

Would have loved to see what he could come up with.

Had a similar annoyance when Del Toro dropped out of the Hobbit movies.

• Like 2

Â