The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

civil war has started filming, frank grillo has put a picture of himself as crossbones on his instagram

so thats crossbones, captain america, iron man, hawkeye, ant man, black panther, war machine, scarlet witch, vision, falcon, winter soldier, black widow, general thaddeus ross, sharon carter, baron zemo all confirmed for it with then spiderman to be cast, martin freeman's role tbc (politician would be my bet) and no doubt sam jackson

official synopsis from IMDB - Steve Rogers leads the new team of Avengers in their continued efforts to safeguard humanity. After another international incident involving the Avengers results in collateral damage, political pressure mounts to install a system of accountability and a governing body to determine when to enlist the services of the team. The new status quo fractures the Avengers while they try to protect the world from a new and nefarious villain.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt3498820/fullcredits?ref_=tt_cl_sm#cast

• Like 1

Mad Max: Fury Road is an incredible slice of chaos.

The action movie distilled to it's purest and most visceral form. A plot that can be described in a sentence. Characters narry a piece of development in sight. Barely any dialogue. Beautifully bleak vistas of endless sand. Grotesque in every frame.

It's glorious.

• Like 2

Mad Max: Fury Road is an incredible slice of chaos.

The action movie distilled to it's purest and most visceral form. A plot that can be described in a sentence. Characters narry a piece of development in sight. Barely any dialogue. Beautifully bleak vistas of endless sand. Grotesque in every frame.

It's glorious.

Oh man, can't wait.

Normal screen. No idea what 3d would do for it, but Imax might well be incredible. It's a great looking film and and has a lot of scenes shot and arranged to be particularly visually arresting, which Imax will make pop even more.

I've not seen the original Mad Max films, and I seriously don't understand any of the hype judging by the trailer for the new film. Just looks like a generic action film with no story, which I guess is exactly what it's trying to be, but I don't see that as a good thing. 

Will watch it when it comes out on Sky tho. 

Watched Chappie yesterday... meh - 6/10 film. 

Agreed on chappie, didn't think it could be that bad but it really was, such a shame as it had the ability to be a classic either by copying short circuit but for the 21st century or going down the darker route. In the end it chose neither and became a horrible mess.

Pretty certain District 9 was a fluke now.

• Like 1

Agreed on chappie, didn't think it could be that bad but it really was, such a shame as it had the ability to be a classic either by copying short circuit but for the 21st century or going down the darker route. In the end it chose neither and became a horrible mess.

Is Blomkamp the new M Night Shyamlan - great first film and then endless disappointing pap?

Edited by theboyangel

Is Blomkamp the new M Night Shyamlan - great first film and then endless disappointing pap?

It's certainly looking that way isn't it? Such a shame because I thought District 9 had a really interesting directorial uniqueness to it and i'd hoped his subsequent movies would be of a similar standard.

As people have said though - Chappie...urgh.

• Like 1

Blomkamp's films after District 9 have had the glimpses of that movie in them, bit don't seem to have the conviction or the nuance.

Elysium felt like District 9 made by a Hollywood director who had none of the subtlety of the theme it wanted to discuss. Chappie flirts with a deeper discussion of AI and life, but shys away.

I think he's fundamentally still a good director, but he needs some help at the writing stage. He comes close to good, thoughtful sci fi, and then falls short. I hope his Alien film has someone advising and guiding him, or it'll be another false dawn for that series (and let's be honest, the cars are stacked against it anyway).

I don't even think District 9 was that great.

It was decent. Nothing more.

Yep.

Elysium was meh but was quite looking forward to Chappie. Obviously my enthusiasm has been tempered now though.

I quite like a few of his films after The Sixth Sense.

I do really like Unbreakable and think The Happening, Signs and The Village are ok

After Earth was abysmal though! 

Edited by Xela

Apparently Asa Butterfield is the front runner to be the be Spiderman. Hes pretty young, and can certainly play younger if Marvel/Sony really gun for the high school angle.

Edited by Chindie

I've not seen the original Mad Max films, and I seriously don't understand any of the hype judging by the trailer for the new film. Just looks like a generic action film with no story, which I guess is exactly what it's trying to be, but I don't see that as a good thing. 

Will watch it when it comes out on Sky tho.

Waste, needs to be see at the cinema.

No relevance to the other Mad Max films.

Its hyped because there hasn't been an action film directed so well since T2 and probably wont be for a long time as the film is odd, mass audiences will find it that little bit too weird.

• Like 1

Â