The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

I watched Gone Girl tonight.

At first it felt a little fake, the dialogue was unnatural and too well written and the acting was a little hammy, but then when it got into its stride it felt like that was just the style of the movie and it definitely grew on me.

I thought it was great, very enjoyable.

9.5/10 in the lapal scale.

Edited by Ginko
  • Like 1

Watched Cold In July last night - a decent Texas set thriller with an excellent turn by Don 'Miami Vice' Johnson.

Good plot (a man shoots dead a burglar in his house and is then stalked by the dead mans father but there is a decent twist to the tale), well acted and worth checking out.

Loved the first half of Cold in July then it felt as though a different director stepped in and it turned into an OTT action movie. Some of the character changes were so nonsensical.

• Like 1

Watched a film called The Expatriate (called Erased in the US) the other night. Like a shit(ter) Taken/Enemy of The State.

Very poor. 

Edited by Xela

The Way West  (1967)

A old western that crept under the radar. It stars Kirk Douglas who i thought played his role well and if your into westerns,it is certainly worth watching.7/10

bad neighbours, pretty disappointed, not very funny, or very anything to be honest, it didnt go deep in to the couples insecurities about wanting to be young (which is probably a good thing) but spent a lot of time skirting round it, same with the students insecurities about getting old, the supposed them vs us practical jokes stuff didnt go very far, the student party stuff has been done a lot better in films like project x, it was all a bit pointless

Blue Ruin....

I think someone posted on here a while back, can't be bothered finding the original comment just wondering if they liked it too?

I really enjoyed it for what it was, I like films where I don't know any of the cast as it makes it all a lot more believable, there's not many people in the film so it's left to the main character to carry the story which he does well and I think we might be seeing a bit more of him in the future. Seems like the same director has a bigger film called green room coming up which he will also be in, will keep an eye out for that.

• Like 2

What does everyone think of "The Aviator"?

Watched the first hour last night but thought it was pretty dull. Couldn't really see where it was going and don't have much motivation to watch the next 2 hours

Watched Joe last night, starring a very unlike Nic Cage, Nic Cage - no gurning, hamming or overacting in this one and it was a good job too.

A very bleak film set in a place that makes all our home towns seem very normal and nine!!!!

A kind of cross between Winters Bone and Mud... It's not a cheery film but still worth having a look at.

• Like 1

Haven't seen Inherent Vice, but the other two are both fantastic.

Choose by your mood.

If you want a more light hearted flick then go for Robot and Frank.

If you're feeling a bit darker then go for Killer Joe.

Joe is probably the best of the two, but like I said it depends on your mood.

Watched Joe last night, starring a very unlike Nic Cage, Nic Cage - no gurning, hamming or overacting in this one and it was a good job too.

A very bleak film set in a place that makes all our home towns seem very normal and nine!!!!

A kind of cross between Winters Bone and Mud... It's not a cheery film but still worth having a look at.

You may already know this, but the guy who played Wade and put in such an extraordinary performance was actually a homeless guy named Gary Poulter. Director David G.Green fought to have in the movie despite him being a chronic alcoholic who hadn't acted before.

He was absolutely fantastic.

Sadly, he died a couple of months after filming had finished. :(

Edited by Designer1
  • Like 2

As i'm on a bit of a film binge at the moment i have a choice between three films later.

Inherent Vice / Killer Joe / Robot and Frank

Any suggestions?

That's three superb movies right there.

Â