The Film Thread

DeadlyDirk

Today is the 25th anniversary of watching Santa Clause The Movie on Xmas Eve in our household tonight.

THE definitive xmas film for me.

A proper looking Santa Claus, an amazing North pole toy workshop, old school wooden toys, great soundtrack and topped off with an evil John Lithgow.

Washed down with Italian red wine and cheese. Mmmmmmm.

Our Xmas regulars are Scrooged, Bad Santa and then Muppets Christmas Carol and Scrooge (with Alistair Sim) on Xmas Eve. Been doing those for years now, and it wouldn't be the same without them.

Yeah tend to watch all of those at some point over the Xmas period.

Jim carreys Xmas carol has recently become a regular Xmas eve film aswell. May not be the best film in the world but ridiculously Christmassy all the same which is pretty much all I expect.

Not a fan of miracle on 34th street. Essentially a court room drama masquerading as a Xmas film.

Nowhere near enough snow, elves and flying reindeer.

Loved Hobbit 3. I enjoyed the second but thought the 1st was incredibly mediocre.

I found it amusing someone came out of this complaining it wasn't like the book. Surely the first two not being entirely like the books would make you realise that beforehand. Oh and this is the film version, it isn't the book. If you want the book version you could always go a little crazy and, you know,read the book?

• Like 1

Found Dumb and Dumber To thoroughly enjoyable, was a nice surprise.

Same here, would recommend people watch it definitely, helps that it seems it was made out of love for the material and the characters rather than a cynical money making exercise. I'm sure some people will see it that way though

Yep there are copies of Dumb and Dumber 'out there'. Surprisingly good considering the bad reviews

Watched a good copy today. Still very good on second viewing.

People seemingly just love a good whine, especially when it comes to sequels/remakes.

Yep there are copies of Dumb and Dumber 'out there'. Surprisingly good considering the bad reviews

People seemingly just love a good whine, especially when it comes to sequels/remakes.

I want it to be good.

The trailer has me worried though. Its dreadful.

I want it to be good.

Trust me the film is ok. The plot isn't up to much but the characters are still great.

I want it to be good.

I'd say all the least funny bits are in the trailers to be honest.

If you're someone who liked the first, I'm not sure how you wouldn't like this. Obviously if you didn't like the original (do those people exist?) then it's probably something you should avoid.

• Like 1

I want it to be good.

I'd say all the least funny bits are in the trailers to be honest.

If you're someone who liked the first, I'm not sure how you wouldn't like this. Obviously if you didn't like the original (do those people exist?) then it's probably something you should avoid.

Good to know.

I'll definitely be watching it. I'm a fan. Just that trailer had me worried.

But I hate it when a film puts the best bits in the trailer so glad to hear they be saved it.

The Guest - 6 out of 10: Superb first hour ruined by an utterly ridiculous last hour. Soundtrack is awesome though and the lead character was cool as fack. Worth a watch.

The Rover - 8 out 10: One of the top 10 films of the year for me. If you like mad max and the road then chances are you will like this. Guy Pearce and Robert Patterson were fantastic. Surprised this film went so under the radar.

Captain America 2 - 3 out of 10: Thought it was utter shite

X-Men Days of future past - 8 out of 10: Now this is how comic book films should be made. Loved it.

71 - 7.5 out of 10: Really decent. Worth a watch.

Vertigo - 7 out of 10: I love Hitchcock films but felt this was overrated. Maybe I need to watch it again as was really underwhelmed compared to his other films.

Guns of Navarone - 9 out of 10: Fantastic. Worthy of its oscar

West Side Story: 6 out of 10: I hate musicals with a passion but I could tolerate this.

Dumb and Dumber 2: 1 out 10: Was dragged to the cinema to see it by the GF. Was worse then I could have imagined. Really awkward watch especially seeing how old Jim Carrey looks.

Dallas Buyers Club - exceptional performance by McConaugey and a very good film. Not exactly cheery festive viewing but a must see for everyone. 

• Like 2

Â