The Spanish Football/la Liga Thread

Troglodyte

Nah I think Real will win it. They've had their slip up.

I also think they'll beat Barca in the next "El Classico". Purely because people talk about it as if Barca have already won it.

Isn't it rumoured that Thiago Silva has already got an agreement with Barca to sign in the summer?

Pique, Puyol and Silva as your 3 CBs would be insane. Probably 3 of the top 4 (or maybe 5) CBs in the world, including the top 2, imo. Ridiculous.

Agree with POB that they'll get a left back too.

I don't know if someone like Bale would be best though. To me Alves works so well because he just basically plays as a winger, and Barca fall into a back 3 all the time.

If they had another Alves on the left, then would they just play a back 2? Or would a midfielder drop back to fill the gap?

Don't see it. To me Abidal is perfect because he CAN get forward if required, but he stays back to do the dirty work if they get hit on the break which allows Alves to play how he plays.

Pique, Puyol and Silva as your 3 CBs would be insane. Probably 3 of the top 4 (or maybe 5) CBs in the world, including the top 2, imo. Ridiculous.

sorry cant agree. Silva i agree with but Puyol is a warrior but never the greatest defender as for Pique he is vastly overrated for me. Good on the ball but lacks speed and gets turned quite easy

Pique and Silva would be my 2 CBs in a world XI

Puyol would come in at 4 or 5 as I suggested. Yes he's just a warrior, but he's the best at doing that in the world. His lack of on the ball skills holds him back from being up there with the other two.

Maybe I'm biased with Pique, but I just love cultured Centre backs, whoc can bring it forward and spray passes about and help in attack. There's no-one better at that than Pique, imo.

Vidic and Silva would be perfect combintion. Would also have Kompany, Rami, Chiellini, Lucio and when not a headbanger Pepe ahead of Pique

Maybe I'm biased with Pique, but I just love cultured Centre backs, whoc can bring it forward and spray passes about and help in attack. There's no-one better at that than Pique, imo.

a bit like James Collins ;) though seriously should watch Verthongen he is very good at this

Vidic and Silva would be perfect combintion. Would also have Kompany, Rami, Chiellini, Lucio and when not a headbanger Pepe ahead of Pique

a bit like James Collins ;) though seriously should watch Verthongen he is very good at this

I wouldn't have him ahead of Pique, but Lucio would round off my top 3.

Pepe isn't fit to lace Pique's boots. Or anyone else on that list for that matter. IMO of course.

You can't say "when not a headbanger" because the fact is Pepe IS a headbanger and that comes as part of the package. It's like saying when Barton isn't a scumbag you'd have him in the team. I also don't think Pepe is as good as all that either. It's almost as if being mental has somehow enhanced peoples' opinions of him as a defender, almost like the mental side is his only shortcoming because it's the shortcoming that gets concentrated on.

I don't know if someone like Bale would be best though. To me Alves works so well because he just basically plays as a winger, and Barca fall into a back 3 all the time.

If they had another Alves on the left, then would they just play a back 2? Or would a midfielder drop back to fill the gap?

Don't see it. To me Abidal is perfect because he CAN get forward if required, but he stays back to do the dirty work if they get hit on the break which allows Alves to play how he plays.

Yes that's true, the left back does sit a lot deeper.

My idea would be that with Bale (or someone similar) in the side, they'd hopefully be able to control games and have more penetration. When Barca try to fit all the best players in now, it isn't that balanced. They either have to revert to 3 at the back or Iniesta from the left. Although Bale wouldn't play on the wing, he'd obviously create width there.

Something like;

------------------Valdes--------------------

--------Pique---------------Silva-----------

Alves-----------Busquets--------------Bale

----------Xavi----------------Iniesta--------

----------------Messi-----Fabregas---------

------Sanchez/Villa--------------------------

I'm sure they could make it work :)

Â