Running

trimandson

9 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I had stomach cramps again on last night's run.

It's pretty much the same everytime, where the run doesn't go too well and I'm struggling a little, but with no pain, but then as soon as I stop my watch and start walking I'm on my knees holding my stomach. It's waves of intense pain about every 30 seconds for about 10-15 minutes after the run. It doesn't really seem anything to do with going to the toilet.

Trusty google tells me it's probably dehydration. 

Run with a sports drink and sip it regularly while you're running. Plenty of belts available that will hold a soft flask and aren't very intrusive during the run. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, fightoffyour said:

I run almost every day, I've been meaning to post in here actually (or equally, things that cheer you up) about how immeasurable it is that running has helped me both physically and mentally. But I have no desire to run a marathon again. It would be good to get a time under 3 hours (rather than 3h20 something), as I don't see any other benchmarks worth aiming for, but the dedication required to do a half under 1h30 would not be even close enough and anyway that is beyond me now.

Similarly, I doubt I'll improve on my PB, although (I'm going to give it a good shot this month) which is why I always think it will be the last. But there always seems to be some other reason to do it. Friends, the location, no other races that month or something. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Danwichmann said:

Run with a sports drink and sip it regularly while you're running. Plenty of belts available that will hold a soft flask and aren't very intrusive during the run. 

Good advice. I just bought a cheapish one off Amazon. It's quite small and unobtrusive, with a variety of handy pockets for phone and keys etc, and two pouches that hold a couple of flexible rubber water bottles at upper chest level. The bottle spouts aren't far off mouth level, so getting a drink just requires a slight bend of the head and a squeeze of the bottle. Used it for the first time last weekend and it was great, hardly noticed it was there, unlike running belts. I think if you were to make sure you'd had a decent drink before setting off, and then used something similar on the way with a sports drink with electrolytes, you'd fare much better.

I don't know how easy they are too find in the UK, but I love my T8 Sherpa shorts at the moment. They have a high waist band with pockets that will fit two 330ml soft flasks, phone and keys comfortably. They dry super fast and are the best I've found for humid conditions, very comfortable. With the T8 boxer shorts you'll be chaff free as well. Not the cheapest option buy well worth it imo.

4 hours ago, andyjsg said:

Marathon Majors Completed ✔️ 

Actual race was a little bit of a mare, been struggling with a hamstring issue for last few weeks and have had days off and just doing light running during my taper. Anyway decided to ignore that and go out with a bang, which involve a 1:20:42 first half, followed by a 1:35:50 managed jog/stop stretch to pull a sub 3 out of my arse. Still finished with a smile, other than the discomfort I actually enjoyed and took in the last few miles and most importantly I got the 6 star medal I’ve been desperate for. Totally worth it, what a journey and now a couple of days in Kyoto before I go back to the wife and kids (who I miss very much - but you know 😂)

I don't know what's more impressive, the sub-3 time or completing all six. Huge congratulations all round. 

• Like 2

Watched my daughter run the Cambridge Half marathon yesterday she did it in 2hrs 4 mins.

The winner was some bloke who ran the 13 odd miles in 64 minutes............how the hell does anyone "normal" do that?

4 hours ago, delboy54 said:

Watched my daughter run the Cambridge Half marathon yesterday she did it in 2hrs 4 mins.

The winner was some bloke who ran the 13 odd miles in 64 minutes............how the hell does anyone "normal" do that?

I'd guess he's not 'normal' like us lot in that we're just people who enjoy running as a way of keeping fit. (even though there are some great times on here). The people who get those sorts of times are the sort who usually went to Loughborough uni, then to an American uni to do a sports scholarship, but weren't *quite* at the level to be an international class athlete after that. So they go round all of the regional amateur races and clean up in those instead. Sort of running equivalent of Brad Young. Not good enough to be a Villa player but now smashing it in the League of Wales.

• Like 1

On 29/02/2024 at 11:48, Danwichmann said:

Similarly, I doubt I'll improve on my PB, although (I'm going to give it a good shot this month) which is why I always think it will be the last. But there always seems to be some other reason to do it. Friends, the location, no other races that month or something. 

Check out the app Run Kaizen/Kaizen (I do their blogs). It's better than other apps for really aiming to beat PBs as it simplifies your training load, while calculating everything around your target time. It gives you a very accurate (more than other apps) race prediction. I know this sounds a bit salesy—I can't stop! My writing is normally better than this I hope (I am so tired).

I am not trying to actually sell it to you, but I use it and it's useful. There's a free trial. I'm a believer in it as much as anything. It's not my main job, but a side thing I do because I like the app. Working with Kaizen really got me into running, and I echo the statements above about it being so good for mental health. I have half an eye on the Madrid marathon in April.

The app is still young, but it's the brainchild of an uber keen sports scientist. The next update has some important new features. In a couple of updates I think it's going to be quite special.

Edited by Rolta
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, Rolta said:

Check out the app Run Kaizen/Kaizen (I do their blogs). It's better than other apps for really aiming to beat PBs as it simplifies your training load, while calculating everything around your target time. It gives you a very accurate (more than other apps) race prediction. I know this sounds a bit salesy—I can't stop! My writing is normally better than this I hope (I am so tired).

I am not trying to actually sell it to you, but I use it and it's useful. There's a free trial. I'm a believer in it as much as anything. It's not my main job, but a side thing I do because I like the app. Working with Kaizen really got me into running, and I echo the statements above about it being so good for mental health. I have half an eye on the Madrid marathon in April.

The app is still young, but it's the brainchild of an uber keen sports scientist. The next update has some important new features. In a couple of updates I think it's going to be quite special.

I've noticed posts about it in my Strava feed recently so it's interesting to hear about. I'm only a week from race day so to late to adjust my training now, just enjoy the taper. My couple of races will be on trail and I don't believe any app in the world will ever be able to predict race times for those, there are just too many variables. 

• Like 1

Excellent work!

Less than three weeks now until my first half marathon. Bricking it that I'll have some stupid injury in the next three weeks.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, Risso said:

Excellent work!

Less than three weeks now until my first half marathon. Bricking it that I'll have some stupid injury in the next three weeks.

Be sure to have a proper  taper in the last two weeks. Reduce the chance of injury, let any niggles heal and go into the race feeling fresh. 

I did the Stafford Half Marathon on Sunday. My P.B is 1hr50 and I thought as I’m in the middle of marathon training I could probably knock a few minutes off.

I set off at 8 minute miles and tried to stay with the 1hr45 pacer. Either my maths is wrong or he was going way too fast as he disappeared over the horizon early on.

There’s a few big hills and I never really recovered from the one on mile 5. Finish time of 1:52:15.

Never mind, lessons learned. I’m doing the Leamington half in June, so I’ll try again then.

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Paddywhack said:

I did the Stafford Half Marathon on Sunday. My P.B is 1hr50 and I thought as I’m in the middle of marathon training I could probably knock a few minutes off.

I set off at 8 minute miles and tried to stay with the 1hr45 pacer. Either my maths is wrong or he was going way too fast as he disappeared over the horizon early on.

There’s a few big hills and I never really recovered from the one on mile 5. Finish time of 1:52:15.

Never mind, lessons learned. I’m doing the Leamington half in June, so I’ll try again then.

If you learnt something from it, it's good. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Danwichmann said:

Be sure to have a proper  taper in the last two weeks. Reduce the chance of injury, let any niggles heal and go into the race feeling fresh. 

Will do. Got a bit of metatarsalgia in my left foot, which at the moment isn't painful as such but I get a tingling deeling in my toes after running. On the day we're aiming for something like 2:05. It's our first half marathon so really we just want to get round. We're doing our 10K at under an hour no bother, but obviously for a half you've got that extra sneaky 1 and a bit K to make the 2 hour mark a bit harder.

• Like 1

Â