I Met A Girl In Nashville She Was A Rodeo Queen, We Fell In Love On Horseback....

VillaRob

Just now, maqroll said:

It took me decades to appreciate Country music. I still think the overwhelming percentage of it is rubbish, but some of it is redemptive.

I'm partial to the Western Swing style as opposed to the cartoonish Nashville stuff.

The early Bob Wills stuff is very interesting. It was kind of urbane, with elements of jazz, Mexican and even Cuban music, in total contradiction to the prevailing perception of Country as simplistic, backwoods redneck music.

Contemporary Country radio is a vortex of vomit. 

I have very very few friends who like country music, one really, two at a push, but the one loves western swing, everything I listen to is via his recommendation. He listens to zero of my recommendations as I like the vortex of vomit, big hat country and just about everything else. He used to love the neo traditional guys, Alan Jackson, Mark Chesnutt etc but then he went hardcore western swing. I play and enjoy Asleep at the wheel, Time jumpers and their ilk.

4 hours ago, Seat68 said:

Her debut was Tim McGraw, a song that namechecks the country singer of the same name, country hits that followed, Love Story, Teardrops on my Guitar, through to Begin Again and Mean. She has had the odd song during her pop career that have gone to country radio but in recent years her activities have been well away from country music.

I'd say that Our Song is the quintessential, so-country-it's-virtually-pastiche Taylor Swift county song. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, veloman said:

Thats' a bold statement ! Perhaps he meant from a drummer's point of view because it is fairly easy to play, usually in 3/4 or straight 4/4 time. He was opinionated; but when you are the Worlds best drummer (arguably) I guess your opinion carries some weight; more than mine for instance

It's the common attitude among jazzers and prog rockers, that complex, sophisticated music that is difficult to play, is inherently 'better' than simple folk-derived music. 

It can be, but it's not a given. I'm impressed by the virtuosity of - say - the Mahavishnu Orchestra, but after a while it just becomes hard work. There is more heart and soul in Neil Young's "Tonight's the Night", even though (or even perhaps because) the band were blind drunk, and the playing is sloppy. 

I have room for both in my life, music is not a competition. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

It can be, but it's not a given. I'm impressed by the virtuosity of - say - the Mahavishnu Orchestra, but after a while it just becomes hard work. There is more heart and soul in Neil Young's "Tonight's the Night", even though (or even perhaps because) the band were blind drunk, and the playing is sloppy. 

Yep , partially agree; Mahavishnu can  be hard work; first saw 'em on OGWT when the Olde King was alive, Billy Cobham on FIBES drums (which disappeared from the market I think). I would have chosen "Only Love Can break your heart" for Neil Young!! :) . No, I'm guessing Mr Rich was commenting on the simpicity of it 'cos he was such a 'technical' drummer; exemplified by the fact that a drummer he really rated was Birmingham's Carl Palmer. Possibly like guitar 'shredding '  versus neat consise  solos as per Larry Carlton perhaps.

• Like 1

The thing with country music is that (quite apart from the lyrics) the music can be quite formulaic - mostly familiar chord sequences (and often melodies), usually with specific instrumentation. And - as with blues, which shares the same predictability - you either instinctively like that sound, or you don't. As it happens, I'm a sucker for a hot fiddle (KW) or a crying pedal steel guitar. But I totally get why it sets some people's teeth on edge. It's like me and hip hop - probably irreconcilable.  

• Like 1

On 03/08/2005 at 14:38, Clarry said:

A topic to discuss Country Music...

th?id=OSK.HEROUOe5j06PEH7f1DZaZBtMw5mrX3

18 years and 4 months later, the thread finally gets some traction ;)

The greats for me are Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clarke, Steve Young, Steve Earle.

For the modern stuff take a look at Tyler Childers, Jason Isbelle, Zach Bryan, Bailey Zimmerman, Lainey Wilson, Morgan Wade, Ryan Bingham those a just a few of the Country(ish) artists that I listen to.

According to my Spotify Wrapped my most listened genres this year was Rock, modern Blues, modern country pop, new americana and classic texas country.

Always been a big fan of country music but there has been a fair few artists that I like who have released albums this year which is why it has taken over the genres that I've listened to. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Xela said:

/thread

Live on stage at the Hackney Empire a few years back I saw this done by Cerys Matthews and Terry Hall. They enjoyed themselves so much and it was a joy to watch and listen to. Terry then went off, flicking the v's. Cerys stayed on and sang Total Eclipse of the Heart, whilst grinning from ear to ear. Cracking night.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, mjmooney said:

. . As it happens, I'm a sucker for a hot fiddle (KW) or a crying pedal steel guitar. But I totally get why it sets some people's teeth on edge. It's like me and hip hop - probably irreconcilable.  

"Crying pedal steel guitar" you say !! Not SD's usual style but ...

• Like 1

10 hours ago, leemond2008 said:

The greats for me are Townes Van Zandt, Guy Clarke, Steve Young, Steve Earle.

For the modern stuff take a look at Tyler Childers, Jason Isbelle, Zach Bryan, Bailey Zimmerman, Lainey Wilson, Morgan Wade, Ryan Bingham those a just a few of the Country(ish) artists that I listen to.

I am totally on board with this list. 

Not sure if I came across this on here? If so, thank you for posting it. Anyway, cracking musicians

Numbered from left to right, number 2 is just enjoying playing. Number 4 is also enjoying being filmed.

Well as we're on the subject of country music and Billie Jean. Have the Resident's version of the Hank Williams classic Kaw-Liga. The theory being that the Residents stole the Billie Jean bassline as an acknowledgement of Hank Williams second wife Billie Jean Horton, who was also a renowned Country artist in her own right

Kaw-Liga the subject of the song is a wooden Native American statue that stores often put outside to indicate that they sold tobacco 

Talk of Williams, this is Holly Williams, Hank Williams Jr's daughter. Outside of Hank Williams output, by far my favourite tune by anyone in the family. She seems to pretty much have given up music and its musics loss.

Â