I Met A Girl In Nashville She Was A Rodeo Queen, We Fell In Love On Horseback....

VillaRob

1 minute ago, chrisp65 said:

I was quite late to the John Prine party, but a personal recommendation from Mr Larry Love caused me to go have a look n listen. 

Same.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I really liked the Kelly Clarkson song in Trolls World tour.  Does that count?

Bit sombre for a kids film though. 

If its the song I am thinking about it was written by Chris Stapleton, like Post Malone she has been threatening a country album for quite some time, she has worked with Reba, Brooks and Dunn and Jason Aldean in the past so I think at some point she has the potential to release a country pop album.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, chrisp65 said:

I was quite late to the John Prine party, but a personal recommendation from Mr Larry Love caused me to go have a look n listen. 

His debut album got him labelled as that year's 'New Bob Dylan',. 

Post Malone with Dwight Yoakams band doing Brad Paisley's I'm Gonna Miss Her and Sturgill Simpsons You Can Have The Crown. I believe he announced recently that a country ep is coming from him.

Edited by Seat68

34 minutes ago, bickster said:

Glenn Campbell, the cowboy Wayne Newton  :crylaugh:

He was fantastic when doing Jim Webb songs *. Anything else, less so. 

EDIT: * Or Brian Wilson. 

Edited by mjmooney
  • Like 1

30 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

Yep. Very uncool with my mates when I was a teenager (late 60s). But not with me. I think I was initially pulled in by the 'and western' bit, as I was a huge fan of TV and film westerns. There was a Radio 2 country programme that I used to listen to, initially drawn in by the Marty Robbins gunfighter ballads. They did play a lot of cheesy dross of the Jim Reeves/Slim Whitman variety, but mixed in with that there was the occasional Waylon Jennings, George Jones or Merle Haggard number that I found myself liking. 

And then came Dylan's 'Nashville Skyline' and The Byrds' 'Sweetheart of the Rodeo', and country-rock was born. Over the next few years I got into Michael Nesmith (post Monkees), the Flying Burrito Brothers, Poco, Eagles, Pure Prairie League and many others. As a student, I even managed to convert some of my prog fan mates. 

Then it was the singer/songwriters - John Stewart, Emmylou Harris, Tom Russell, John Prine, Townes Van Zandt, Joe Ely, Butch Hancock, etc. Plus bluegrass.

And so on to this day (I don't go much for the Nashville/'modern country'/'hat acts' stuff, though). 

One thing which amazed me and still does, is how come West Indians love Jim Reeves so much?

4 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

One thing which amazed me and still does, is how come West Indians love Jim Reeves so much?

Country is also very big in west Africa. My missus has a mate whose husband plays pedal steel in two bands - a standard country outfit, and one otherwise composed entirely of Nigerians and Ghanaians. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, MakemineVanilla said:

It used to be that most Irish families would have a 'holy trinity' of portraits on their mantelpiece - The Pope, John F. Kennedy and Jim Reeves. 

1 hour ago, mjmooney said:

He was talking utter bollocks. 

And I speak as a jazz fan. 

Thats' a bold statement ! Perhaps he meant from a drummer's point of view because it is fairly easy to play, usually in 3/4 or straight 4/4 time. He was opinionated; but when you are the Worlds best drummer (arguably) I guess your opinion carries some weight; more than mine for instance

It used to be that most Irish families would have a 'holy trinity' of portraits on their mantelpiece - The Pope, John F. Kennedy and Jim Reeves. 

Thomas Sowell claims that a lot of black culture is derived from the Irish, and as redlegs were very common in the West Indies, it would seem that a love for Jim Reeves might follow that pattern.

My Irish neighbour had a picture of the sacred heart on his wall, which I quite liked.

• Like 1

He was fantastic when doing Jim Webb songs *. Anything else, less so. 

EDIT: * Or Brian Wilson. 

You are doubtless aware he was one of 'The Wrecking Crew'. I thought you had to be 'handy' to be in that.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, veloman said:

You are doubtless aware he was one of 'The Wrecking Crew'. I thought you had to be 'handy' to be in that.

Yep which was why I found the Wayne Newton reference utterly hilarious (and obviously wrong)

Country is also very big in west Africa. My missus has a mate whose husband plays pedal steel in two bands - a standard country outfit, and one otherwise composed entirely of Nigerians and Ghanaians. 

The banjo is an African instrument,  after all..

• Like 1

Mike Love recorded a country album decades ago, it’s called “Country Love” 😂

It has sat in the vaults unreleased because it’s apparently really cack (I’ve never heard it nor wanted to).

I bet @Seat68 has the bootleg though 😉

4 minutes ago, rjw63 said:

Mike Love recorded a country album decades ago, it’s called “Country Love” 😂

It has sat in the vaults unreleased because it’s apparently really cack (I’ve never heard it nor wanted to).

I bet @Seat68 has the bootleg though 😉

Yeah Mike Love. I would seek that shit out. Then lob it out of the top floor window. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

It took me decades to appreciate Country music. I still think the overwhelming percentage of it is rubbish, but some of it is redemptive.

I'm partial to the Western Swing style as opposed to the cartoonish Nashville stuff.

The early Bob Wills stuff is very interesting. It was kind of urbane, with elements of jazz, Mexican and even Cuban music, in total contradiction to the prevailing perception of Country as simplistic, backwoods redneck music.

Contemporary Country radio is a vortex of vomit. 

• Like 1

Â