economic situation is dire

ianrobo1

There is a big difference between tax avoidance and reducing the amount of tax you need to pay.

But aren't those two things defined by the laws regarding taxation, Laws are a strange thing, It wasn't that long ago that it was legal to own another man as your property and treat him as you wished, something to think about when using legislation to define what is right and wrong, some would argue the view that taxation is simply legislated stealing anyhow so is morally wrong, another argument for another day I guess.

There is a big difference between tax avoidance and reducing the amount of tax you need to pay.

But aren't those two things defined by the laws regarding taxation, Laws are a strange thing, It wasn't that long ago that it was legal to own another man as your property and treat him as you wished, something to think about when using legislation to define what is right and wrong, some would argue the view that taxation is simply legislated stealing anyhow so is morally wrong, another argument for another day I guess.

I didn't pass comment on the moral debate over tax, it is though very common for people to confuse tax avoidance and tax reduction they are not the same thing.

I was fascinated by the BBC's report on the announcement that inflation has fallen slightly.

This is good news but the report was so skewed that it just looked like blatant propaganda on behalf of the government.

They failed to mention how much the actual loss in workers' spending power has been since the recession (15%) and went on to assume that having your wages fall slightly less than last year should produce a feel-good factor worthy of celebration.

They even went out on the street and did a vox-pop thing, where they asked people whether having their wages fall at a slightly lower rate made them feel good.

The absolute worst piece of the report was to suggest that the accusation that standards of living had fallen, was merely an accusation dreamt up by Labour.

So basically, the only reason the BBC thought it was worth celebrating is because it is good news for the government.

Outrageously bad reporting by anyone's standards let alone the BBC News.

• Like 2

I was fascinated by the BBC's report on the announcement that inflation has fallen slightly.

This is good news but the report was so skewed that it just looked like blatant propaganda on behalf of the government.

They failed to mention how much the actual loss in workers' spending power has been since the recession (15%) and went on to assume that having your wages fall slightly less than last year should produce a feel-good factor worthy of celebration.

They even went out on the street and did a vox-pop thing, where they asked people whether having their wages fall at a slightly lower rate made them feel good.

The absolute worst piece of the report was to suggest that the accusation that standards of living had fallen, was merely an accusation dreamt up by Labour.

So basically, the only reason the BBC thought it was worth celebrating is because it is good news for the government.

Like the real rate of inflation is anywhere near as low as the official rate states it to be.

• Like 1

you mean even the lefty BBC have turned on Labour  .. well I never 

time to re-open the "next leader of the labour party " thread as Ed seems to be on borrowed time

The BBC is more and more pro Gov't, whoever the Gov't/establishment is. It's become more conservative (small c) and less balanced. Inevitable as a result of more management consultant types, who are averse to rocking any boats.

Threats like Shapps and like Labour did withthe whole Gilligan thing just further re-inforce that drift from genuine independence and balance.

• Like 3

The BBC is more and more pro Gov't, whoever the Gov't/establishment is. It's become more conservative (small c) and less balanced. Inevitable as a result of more management consultant types, who are averse to rocking any boats.

Threats like Shapps and like Labour did withthe whole Gilligan thing just further re-inforce that drift from genuine independence and balance.

this is the correct view of the Biased Broadcasting Company

That the Left think the Beeb's rightish and the Right think it's leftish suggests to me that it probably isn't massively out of its correct position (i.e. somewhere in the middle), though I take blandy's point about it being more pro government than in the past.

Edited by snowychap
  • Like 1

this is the correct view of the Biased Broadcasting Company

It has to be said that Channel 4 News's report was much better.

They even put the report in the exact same context as the BBC, in terms of good news for the government, but they actually gave the full picture in terms of how much workers had lost, which made it far more balanced.

Obviously, they did not say what I really wanted to hear - how long it is likely to take before wages are back to pre-Condem levels, if ever.

Or, even better, getting some Austrian school economist to critique the government's policies and explain how low interest rates and QT, had already started the asset bubble which will create the next financial crisis and has further debased the currency. 

the left think it's slightly to the right

the right wonder what's the least they could sell it to themselves for

you forgot  " whilst making someone else pay for it "

Â