economic situation is dire

ianrobo1

Interest rates in the UK to go up next week folks.

They only left them unchanged last week and aren't due to meet for a while so this seems unlikely ?

Have to agree with Tony here, also With Gideon successfully inflating a new housing bubble, He and Carney won't want to pop it just as it getting going with Interest rate hikes. After all it appears the only way to push those meaningless growth figures into positive territory in our dysfunctional Economy, what with wage deflation and Real retail inflation raging away at way above official stats can't see many other ways to facilitate that magical, mystical and ultimately meaningless growth. Of course Gideon could do what his party appears expert at and just create some made up figures and ignore how at odds with the real facts and  figures they are so he gets to say how swimmingly everything is going

Edited by mockingbird_franklin

I see Credit Suisse have been in the news again for helping a reported 22,000 American customers evade taxes of up to $12bn

The news being they have failed their other customers by not helping them avoid tax ?

I suppose the really crazy leftfield sneaky thing to do would be to consult and employ some decent people to draft tax legislation that closes loop holes. 

Governments get away with spending our money writing shoddy laws that the rich can circumvent.

Should a company be helping people evade tax? The US Supreme court doesn't seem to think so.

It's everyone's mission in life to avoid tax ... Be it those nasty rich people to those honest hard working class tradesman who will always work for cash
  • Like 1

Should a company be helping people evade tax? The US Supreme court doesn't seem to think so.

It's everyone's mission in life to avoid tax ... Be it those nasty rich people to those honest hard working class tradesman who will always work for cash
sorry Tony but that is complete and utter nonsense. For you maybe its a priority to avoid tax but for many it certainly is not.
  • Like 3

sorry Tony but that is complete and utter nonsense. For you maybe its a priority to avoid tax but for many it certainly is not.
not sure why this has been turned into attacks on me and my tax affairs which are between me and my accountant ? I was making a general observation , people like to avoid tax it doesn't have to be as subtle as using loopholes it can be done at the simplest level , from benefit in kind type stuff on business to going on a booze cruise to France ... It's still tax avoidance

I suppose the really crazy leftfield sneaky thing to do would be to consult and employ some decent people to draft tax legislation that closes loop holes. 

Governments get away with spending our money writing shoddy laws that the rich can circumvent.

It's worse than that. The big accountancy firms place people inside government, supposedly to help, as part of this notion that the public sector really needs to learn from private companies. The accountants then write large parts of the tax code, creating loopholes as they go.

I don't know whether "sabotage" or "corruption" would be the more accurate term for this. Either way, it seems more like a criminal offence than an act of public service.

• Like 1

Now, now Tony. How dare you suggest that those hard working 'working class' people evade tax.

But then, of course, they are the biggest group of regular tax evaders, alongside those who are super rich and can afford very clever accountants to dig through every loophole going.

Meanwhile, moderately successful business people on PAYE, who work and worry damn hard in creating and ensuring stable employment for others end up faced with either putting hard earned money into a pension fund, with questionable long term value, which will be taxed at a later date anyway, or paying the highest rate of tax in Europe.

I have no problem with paying tax, but I believe that it is immoral for more than half of any portion of earned money to be taken by government.

If only I were a builder or something. My lifestyle would be so much better.

• Like 2

What an utter load of lefty utopian bollocks.  

I'm yet to meet a tradesman of any persuasion who will not do work cash in hand with no questions asked. It is endemic but of course.... because they don't do it in a suit for Citi Group (other nasty tax dodging financial institutions are available) it is ok.

:)

Of course, no politician will ever dare criticise poor old Bob the Builder because he comes from a "hardworking family" suffering in the midst of the "cost of living crisis" :puke: A whole army of Blue Collar Robin Hoods in Transit Vans. I would imagine the scale of tax not paid through "aggressive avoidance" and "cash in hand" would be broadly similar given the differening numbers of those involved.

Edited by Eames
  • Like 1

What an utter load of lefty utopian bollocks.  

I'm yet to meet a tradesman of any persuasion who will not do work cash in hand with no questions asked. It is endemic but of course.... because they don't do it in a suit for Citi Group (other nasty tax dodging financial institutions are available) it is ok.

:)

yeah as I say I think Drat / Ajaxn took my post a bit too literal  and did go on a bit of a personal assault without reading what had been written  

the point i was making I thought was clear  .... heck how many businessmen get perks like frequent flier gold cards and airmiles and then take the family on a freebie holiday with the proceeds .... it may not be moving your money into a Cayman islands account but it's still cheating the tax system

• Like 1

Â