Retained - Released List - 24/25

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

Kingman

Think we may see a few paid off over the next week or two. 

Would be surprised if we take up the option to buy on loans either. 

21 minutes ago, Kingman said:

Are you suggesting to us that we gonna sign Zaniolo?

Not sure we'll be paying people off at this stage - there's a 3 month transfer window imminent when someone may want to sign a couple of the players you/I/we think should be paid off. Every pound counts, and the club arent going to write off a potential few million in sales just because Emery think Chambers, Olsen etc are shite.

Paying players off usually happens towards the end of a window when it's the only way to either get a player to sign for someone else (Traore) or to free up space/funds.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Pongo Waring said:

Are you suggesting to us that we gonna sign Zaniolo?

The opposite I think

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, StewieGriffin said:

Not sure we'll be paying people off at this stage - there's a 3 month transfer window imminent when someone may want to sign a couple of the players you/I/we think should be paid off. Every pound counts, and the club arent going to write off a potential few million in sales just because Emery think Chambers, Olsen etc are shite.

Paying players off usually happens towards the end of a window when it's the only way to either get a player to sign for someone else (Traore) or to free up space/funds.

We may choose to pay up contracts early for 2 reasons:

1. 30th June deadline for PSR - get the agreement in an earlier year, so it stops being an issue a year earlier.
  2. Agree a lower cost with the player, giving them more time to find a new club. With squad lists, an agreement at the last minute will drastically reduce a players options - or mean a trip to Turkey. 
  • Like 1

Looking at our squad as of today and excluding loans in this season (Zaniolo/Lenglet), I think we have 13 players that the club wouldn’t want to sell or loan out, or they’re recovering from injury and therefore unlikely to receive bids for: 

Martinez, Gauci, Konsa, Mings, Pau, McGinn, Tielemans, Buendia, Diaby, Rogers, Bailey, Kamara, Watkins.

Then we have a group of 11 players that we may not want to sell but FFP/PSR etc forces our hand somewhat. Or we may privately be happy to move on if the right offers (sale or loan) are received: 

Cash, Carlos, Digne, Moreno, KKH, Luiz, Ramsey, Iroegbunum, Duran, Sinisalo and Marshall. 

Finally from the current squad, I think we’d like to sell, loan or release this summer these six players for starters: 

Olsen, Chambers, Hause, Coutinho, Dendoncker, Archer (again) 

Personally, I reckon Emery would love to bring four or five in (permanent or loan) but much will depend on who stays and who goes? 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Looking at our squad as of today and excluding loans in this season (Zaniolo/Lenglet), I think we have 13 players that the club wouldn’t want to sell or loan out, or they’re recovering from injury and therefore unlikely to receive bids for: 

Martinez, Gauci, Konsa, Mings, Pau, McGinn, Tielemans, Buendia, Diaby, Rogers, Bailey, Kamara, Watkins.

Then we have a group of 11 players that we may not want to sell but FFP/PSR etc forces our hand somewhat. Or we may privately be happy to move on if the right offers (sale or loan) are received: 

Cash, Carlos, Digne, Moreno, KKH, Luiz, Ramsey, Iroegbunum, Duran, Sinisalo and Marshall. 

Finally from the current squad, I think we’d like to sell, loan or release this summer these six players for starters: 

Personally, I reckon Emery would love to bring four or five in (permanent or loan) but much will depend on who stays and who goes? 

Four or five should be very doable even with financial restraints. We'll move several on and getting undervalued players on the cheap/free is Monchi's strength. If we do sell a big name (Luiz, Ramsey), this makes that even more achievable.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
20 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Need to move Ramsey in to the top bracket. He's more injured than Buendia at the moment.

I think we might well pay some off if there is any leeway in our 23/24 finances. Better to take the hit this year if we can afford it, and then frees up their weekly salary for next year.

Edited by MrBlack

41 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Need to move Ramsey in to the top bracket. He's more injured than Buendia at the moment.

I think we might well pay some off if there is any leeway in our 23/24 finances. Better to take the hit this year if we can afford it, and then frees up their weekly salary for next year.

Injured yes I agree, but there has certainly been media speculation as to his future this summer, which is why I thought it best to keep him in the middle bracket.  Personally, I would love to keep him and wouldn’t want to entertain any bids for him. 

46 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

What does this mean?

I think the early transfer news regarding Villa going after free transfers like Hermoso and Barkley could help negate the need to sell one of our big players (Luiz/Ramsey/Duran).  It might enable Villa to drop down a level and work with selling players like Carlos/Cash/Digne/etc instead and work within that budget to fund the remaining new players.  That is my take.  UTV

23 minutes ago, ejs1111 said:

I think the early transfer news regarding Villa going after free transfers like Hermoso and Barkley could help negate the need to sell one of our big players (Luiz/Ramsey/Duran).  It might enable Villa to drop down a level and work with selling players like Carlos/Cash/Digne/etc instead and work within that budget to fund the remaining new players.  That is my take.  UTV

I would always try and get most of the work done early. They get a full preseason, and it avoids looking desperate, which can affect the costs 

We got Kamara early, and by August loads of fans at other clubs were wondering why they hadn't gone in for him. It just take the pressure off.

Although that season I think we got Carlos and Kamara in really early, and then had 6 weeks of fans moaning that we hadn't done anything for ages!

27 minutes ago, ejs1111 said:

Barkley isn't a free transfer 

3 hours ago, Kingman said:

Lenglet? Did we have an option on his loan?

Ill be suprised if alot of youngsters are not released. Many dont see to have impressed unai as they rarely featured even when our squad was down to bare bones

Im.pretty sure kesler will be gone and perhaps timmy of the more high profile ones

• Like 1

This is a slightly weird thread, which seems to be a sort of bizarro version of the transfer thread but also doesn't seem to have anything to do with the retained/released list. We're not going to be paying senior players off at the start of the window, and as far as I can see the only senior squad players who are out of contract with us are the loanees. 

That leaves the youth players, but nobody seems to be speculating about them! Except perhaps:

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Im.pretty sure kesler will be gone and perhaps timmy of the more high profile ones

I'm sure we'll be looking to sell both this summer if we can find a buyer willing to pay ~£5m for either, but I don't think you'll see either being released for free on the released list. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/05/2024 at 18:31, alreadyexists said:

Lenglet? Did we have an option on his loan?

I'm not sure about him, I believe we did with Zaniolo 

• Like 1

Chisom Afoka, Frankie Ealing, Taylor-Jay hart, Aaron O'Reilly, Ted Rowe, Dylan Mitchell, Jack McDowell, and Abube Onuchukwue  have been released

Mikell Barnes, Ajani Burchall, I-Lani Edwards, Sam Lewis, and Charlie Pavey, have all been offered new deals

29 minutes ago, useless said:

Chisom Afoka, Frankie Ealing, Taylor-Jay hart, Aaron O'Reilly, Ted Rowe, Dylan Mitchell, Jack McDowell, and Abube Onuchukwue  have been released

Mikell Barnes, Ajani Burchall, I-Lani Edwards, Sam Lewis, and Charlie Pavey, have all been offered new deals

Do you have an official source?

Â