Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

Match Polls  

146 members have voted

1. 1. Who was your man of the match?

2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

5 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Still frustrated by the lack of scrutiny or clips of the offside. The only replay shown just isn’t clear. 

Would you feel much better if we only lost 5-2?

• Haha 1

One more thing on the injuries, it was obvious Olympiacos were going to drop into a low block and defend their lead and try and hit us on the break, that's just sensible and absolutely the way I'd have set up were I in their shoes.

The players in our squad who have the best attributes for breaking through a low block like that are the ball carries like Ramsey, Rogers, Zaniolo, or the players who can pick that clever pass to unlock the door like Buendia, Tielemans, and Luiz.

The only one of those that was fit was Luiz and he's knackered, out of form, and having to play further back.

Unai was trying to play Poker with Uno cards.

7 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

Would you feel much better if we only lost 5-2?

Irrelevant. There should be more scrutiny. It didn’t look conclusive to overturn the offside call. 

Unai will know we need to improve our squad depth next season. Whatever happens between now and the end of the season we're going to be in Europe again next year. The players in the squad will have a better idea of what's coming, and really importantly how to manage the refs.

What a great effort, semi finals of a Euro competition with so many players unavailable throughout the season. We've created some cracking memories; SJM's very late winner in the group stage, destroying AZ who currently sit 4th in the Eredivisie, and obviously the penalties against Lille. I don't think any of us would possibly have dreamed of that at the start of last season under "Stevie", with largely the same group of players.

I've every confidence we'll improve the squad again, and Unai will continue to get the best out of what we've got. No matter the Euro competition for next season, I can't wait.

• Like 2

I disagree I think we have decent squad depth. Name any side who has more than  half a dozen first teamers out and are not going to struggle. Maybe we shouldn't have loaned Dendocker out in January but Emery then didn't expect Kamara and Ramsey to be out of the season, and then Tielmans getting injured. That has screwed us over.

3 hours ago, one_ian_taylor said:

So dignified. No excuses. Slight element of "we literally need all of your energy, please queue up behind the North Stand before the game to go through the Energy Grab-a-tron 5000. Your welcome donations will then be injected into the players."

sad thing is I probably would do that for this team 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TRO said:

I have to say, Olympiacos impressed me in so much of their work.

Barely played in the last month. As fresh as a daisy!

They deserved it though and well played Greek FA.

• Like 1

51 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Still frustrated by the lack of scrutiny or clips of the offside. The only replay shown just isn’t clear. 

When they are that tight they should be given regardless, it’s hardly gaining an advantage. 

I don't care if some fans think this is a Mickey Mouse trophy or not, I just wanted to se us lift some silverware again. Not easy picking a man of the match because nobody really stood out, 

Set pieces were really poor as well, was it nine corners and no threat from any of them? Anyway just two games left of what is really one of our best seasons in a long long time so come on Villa secure that fourth spot.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Daveburnside said:

Barely played in the last month. As fresh as a daisy!

They deserved it though and well played Greek FA.

We have played 1 more game than them in the last month. 

Posted (edited)
59 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

Konsa played him on 

Edited by Rossi

10 minutes ago, Daveburnside said:

and well played Greek FA.

This.

The FA/Premier League really need to start doing their European competition clubs some scheduling favours in the latter rounds of the competitions. Our last two opponents were both intentionally given the week off by their respective FAs before their games with us. Not saying it's entirely what makes the difference (I mean, we won one of those games), but the English FA don't seem to have compassion for player welfare whatsoever. 
Next season, I'd honestly just play the reserves/youth in the domestic cups (League Cup, especially) and focus on the rest.

14 minutes ago, Beastmix said:

This.

The FA/Premier League really need to start doing their European competition clubs some scheduling favours in the latter rounds of the competitions. Our last two opponents were both intentionally given the week off by their respective FAs before their games with us. Not saying it's entirely what makes the difference (I mean, we won one of those games), but the English FA don't seem to have compassion for player welfare whatsoever. 
Next season, I'd honestly just play the reserves/youth in the domestic cups (League Cup, especially) and focus on the rest.

Do they and surrender premier league games for European games that no one outside the 2 teams playing in it are interested in. 

3 minutes ago, tinker said:

Do they and surrender premier league games for European games that no one outside the 2 teams playing in it are interested in. 

You're not losing any games, you're just re-organising them.

Just as they have done.

30 minutes ago, Daveburnside said:

Pfft you know what Im talking about, they last played in the league on the 28th April.

Yeah, we played the Brighton game which is the extra game. I don’t see this as a massive advantage, losing the home game was our downfall. 

Â