Worst Sitcom of All Time

sidcow

13 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Amazing how so many people hate Mrs Browns Boys yet it keeps going with presumably healthy viewing figures. 

They just need enough of a loyal following to have a larger audience than the thing on the other channels.

There was a mini series of a comedy called Mammoth over the last few weeks. It’s been hailed a success because it was the most viewed tv prog in its slot. It got an audience of 450,000. So you can imagine the status in the industry if something as shit as Mrs Brown’s gets 2 million. Trouble is, in a country of nearly 70 million, you can get 2 million dinosaurs / live love laugh / old fashioned values / gammonati / turkey teeth / Prosecco o’clock types.

See also: Gavin & Stacey.

As it hasn't been mentioned yet, Clarence with Ronnie Barker was not up to his usual standard (Porridge, whilst dated is still very funny)

Mrs Brown's Boys is a wart on Satan's sphincter and I'll chuck in Miranda on a similar level (and anything with James Corden)

1 hour ago, chrisp65 said:

Trouble is, in a country of nearly 70 million, you can get 2 million dinosaurs / live love laugh / old fashioned values / gammonati / turkey teeth / Prosecco o’clock types.

See also: Gavin & Stacey.

gorila-gorilla.gif

1 hour ago, theboyangel said:

and I'll chuck in Miranda on a similar level

Oh God yes. I used to watch snippets of that in utter disbelief that anyone could find it remotely amusing. Seemed to attract at lot of the sort who would write LOL on social media. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Oh God yes. I used to watch snippets of that in utter disbelief that anyone could find it remotely amusing. Seemed to attract at lot of the sort who would write LOL on social media. 

LOL!

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

14 hours ago, Xann said:

ITV made comedy so bad you've deleted it from memory to protect yourselves.

Oh yeah. Duty Free was awful. 

A terrible one I vaguely remember was about a posh bloke who had a common scouse girlfriend. It was awful. Anyone remember that? Early to mid 80s I'd say. 

Personally I disagree about The Big Bang Theory. The first season was weak, the last few seasons were very mediocre, but in the middle it has a few seasons that were genuinely excellent imo. Some of my favourite TV moments were in that show - Sheldon drunk dialling Stephen Hawking, tiny Spock, in fact all the Star Trek guest appearances, the ultra cynical Professor Proton. It has its problems, and as I say had a pretty bland last few seasons, but I don't really get the hate for it.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Personally I disagree about The Big Bang Theory. The first season was weak, the last few seasons were very mediocre, but in the middle it has a few seasons that were genuinely excellent imo. Some of my favourite TV moments were in that show - Sheldon drunk dialling Stephen Hawking, tiny Spock, in fact all the Star Trek guest appearances, the ultra cynical Professor Proton. It has its problems, and as I say had a pretty bland last few seasons, but I don't really get the hate for it.

I liked Big Bang Theory but it went on for far too many seasons and even at the end of it all, I still thought Sheldon was a clearing in the woods

Posted (edited)

Mrs Brown’s Boys - the absolute pits of a sitcom.

Miranda - dreadful

Citizen Khan - Awful 

Terry and June - So dull
As Time Goes By - Boring
May to December - ditto
Goodnight Sweetheart - ditto

Duty Free - very bad, even back then.

Last of the Summer Wine - three men going down a hill in a tin bath and hitting a dry stone wall every week. Yeah, hilarious! 

Edited by ferguson1

3 hours ago, theboyangel said:

I liked Big Bang Theory but it went on for far too many seasons

Pretty much most US sitcoms.

That one with Honor Blackman, and one of the McGanns. Seemed to be on for about 20 years. Don't think it made me smile once. 

35 minutes ago, Xela said:

That one with Honor Blackman, and one of the McGanns. Seemed to be on for about 20 years. Don't think it made me smile once. 

Where he was an ex footballer? 

Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, sidcow said:

Where he was an ex footballer? 

He was a handyman/nanny for a wealthy family? 

edit: The Upper Hand

Edited by Xela

I do not understand how Mrs Brown's Boys gets on so well, especially in England

I have never met anybody who likes it. I think it does well in certain circles as it has the sort of staged, stereotypical Irishness to it that wouldn't have been out of place in the 1970s.

*shudders*

My missus had 2 tickets to go and see Miranda being filmed. So the four of us went to that London, two of them got dropped off at TV centre at Hammersmith, and two of us went on an adventure.

We had a few hours and obviously as the youngest didn’t have a ticket to see something from the telly being filmed we decided we’d have a grand day out. We had a few hours, so we set ourselves a task of using a tube, hailing a taxi, jumping on a double decker, and using a river taxi. We went to the Imperial War Museum and one of us bought an Air Raid Warden hat and wore that around London.

We got back to the studio a little early (you have to walk past it to get to Westfield), stood outside having a bit of air and a break were a few of the cast. So we crossed the road, said hi and the youngest had their photo taken, still in hat, with a few of the cast. They went back in to finish filming, we went for a burger.  

Met up with the other two once filming finished and the youngest had absolute bragging rights all the way home.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, bickster said:

On the Up, staring Dennis Waterman. Dreadful

There were so many of those humdrum run of the mill sitcoms around then. 

It's at bit like how they kept trying to promote the new double act to replace the line of Morecombe and Wise > The Two Ronnnies > we must have a new double act despite them all being obviously shit. 

They didn't seem to have the imagination to do anything other than continue the line of cosy sitcom material so just ended up with a run for very banal unfunny sitcoms. 

Probably continued up till The Office really then suddenly innovative ideas and modern sitcoms were born. The IT Crowd, The Inbetweeners etc. 

I am sure there was one with Michael Elphick (not Boon) where he played a brummie family man whose oft used catchphrase was "what the Aston Villa is going on here ?!" and other uses of our Club's name instead of swearing.....but for the life of me I can't find it anywhere, not even on his Wikipedia page. 

Â