Procrastination

Straggler

Today I am going to clean the bathroom. I'm not doing it because I'm on VT putting off the moment when I get started. This thread is for the jobs/tasks/moments/experiences that you are putting off rather than just getting on with it and grasping that nettle.

I also have an envelope here with the most obvious comedic response to this thread. The person who's post matches what is in the envelope wins 1000 internet points

1 minute ago, blandy said:

Might post a reply later.

Damn wish I had written my second post in here sooner. You are the proud owner of 1000 internet points. 

Spend them wisely 

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Straggler said:

Damn wish I had written my second post in here sooner. You are the proud owner of 1000 internet points. 

Spend them wisely 

I’m nothing if not drawn to the blindingly obvious. But thanks, strags

• Like 1

I generally wait a good month or 3 before putting more air in the tyres of my bicycle when they get a bit deflated instead of just spending the minute or so it takes to do it straight away.

• Like 1

Procrastination is my entire life. In my case, there's a name for it - Inattentive ADHD.

It's completely controlling and dispiriting. Once I learned what was going on, I stopped blaming myself, and just that change has made my life immeasurably better. I still put things off though. Lack of dopamine or something.

I think there is a case to be made for the benefits of beating around the bush (Kenny).  Sometimes that extra time can lead to wiser choices. Rather than rushing into action, contemplating the options can be beneficial. Other times, delaying what needs to be done is just daft.

o think most people will have a list of things they need to do, but haven’t got round to doing. Mine’s a long one (Kenny).

• Like 1

Me and the missus both took today off to do some jobs around the flat. We also went out last night and both had a bit to drink. My procrastination today will last until the missus gets her act together, which in reality is likely to be tomorrow :D  or the afternoon at the earliest.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Anthony said:

Procrastination is my entire life. In my case, there's a name for it - Inattentive ADHD.

It's completely controlling and dispiriting. Once I learned what was going on, I stopped blaming myself, and just that change has made my life immeasurably better. I still put things off though. Lack of dopamine or something.

Sounds familiar.  I can only get things done at the last minute under heavy pressure when it absolutely has to be done.

Always blamed myself for being lazy when it came to school/uni work and stuff but if I look back I think I was (and still am for similar things) physically/mentally unable to do it.

Just now, Wainy316 said:

Sounds familiar.  I can only get things done at the last minute under heavy pressure when it absolutely has to be done.

Always blamed myself for being lazy when it came to school/uni work and stuff but if I look back I think I was (and still am for similar things) physically/mentally unable to do it.

I feel your pain. Losing the guilt has been genuinely transformational. No more hiding and lying. No more making up excuses. No more trying at something, thinking this time it'll be different, only for the same thing to happen. No more of the resultant self loathing. I've been labelled lazy all my life and it always infuriated me, as I wasn't lazy didn't want to be. I just couldn't do the stuff. Like you, homework, uni work, then in my 'career'. Turns out it's not my fault. There were tears.

Anyway, see if you can get an assessment. Or, better still, delegate it happening to someone that doesn't procrastinate!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, Anthony said:

I feel your pain. Losing the guilt has been genuinely transformational. No more hiding and lying. No more making up excuses. No more trying at something, thinking this time it'll be different, only for the same thing to happen. No more of the resultant self loathing. I've been labelled lazy all my life and it always infuriated me, as I wasn't lazy didn't want to be. I just couldn't do the stuff. Like you, homework, uni work, then in my 'career'. Turns out it's not my fault. There were tears.

Anyway, see if you can get an assessment. Or, better still, delegate it happening to someone that doesn't procrastinate!

Cheers, so do you just initially book a GP appoitnment?  Did a self test before and ticket loads of boxes but then I'm just worried I'll be batted off as people are like "ugh, everyone reckons they've got ADHD these days.

Posted (edited)

It was the bane of my life for many years, and was responsible for much underachievement in my academic and career paths. 

But no regrets. I'm fine now, and pretty good at getting stuff done on time. Retirement brings a blessed relief from pressure. 

Edited by mjmooney

Frasier: Us? We haven't done anything.

Niles: Exactly. “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing."

Frasier: Edmund Burke.

Niles: I have that quotation in a frame. I keep meaning to put it up in my office but I never seem to get around to it

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
24 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Cheers, so do you just initially book a GP appoitnment?  Did a self test before and ticket loads of boxes but then I'm just worried I'll be batted off as people are like "ugh, everyone reckons they've got ADHD these days.

I already had a psychiatrist - I mentioned it to them as a possibility and they referred me, but if you're starting fresh, then it's GP first. You may encounter a GP that dismisses your concerns, in which case report them immediately and DEMAND to speak to another GP. I have no sympathy for toxic clinicians who stop learning when they leave medical school.

This US link is quite helpful: National Institute of Mental Health

Adults who think they may have ADHD should talk to their health care provider. Primary care providers routinely diagnose and treat ADHD and may refer individuals to mental health professionals. If you need help starting the conversation, check out NIMH’s Tips for Talking With Your Health Care Provider fact sheet.

There will be a HUGE wait (2 yrs plus) unless you use the NHS Right to Choose route, where certain private providers can take on NHS patients, paid for by the NHS - the wait may be a couple of months instead.

Edited by Anthony
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Anthony said:

And funnily enough, I'm posting here whilst I should be doing something else. Go me!

To be fair it is the nature of the thread. Once upon a time I had a line manager who told me "if you leave everything to the last minute then everything only takes a minute". A real silver lining to procrastinating. 

It didn't work as a way of life of course but it did sound good.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, mjmooney said:

But no regrets. I'm fine now, and pretty good at getting stuff done on time. Retirement brings a blessed relief from pressure. 

I think if i retired i'd just end up sitting on the sofa all day and watching TV or scrolling the internet.

Â