Summer Transfer Window (2024/25)

Topic will be automatically locked at 22:59

MaVilla

Posts removed. Please don’t post about other clubs’ transfer stuff on this forum. Use “other football” for that 

1 hour ago, MotoMkali said:

I think it's worth pointing out that I think even last season people were saying we didn't have much money. 

And that we had zero money to spend in January too.

I would be shocked, shocked if we were unable to spend roughly 100 million again this year. As we have done for every season we have been promoted. 

The paradox is, that apart from the odd exception....our recruitment success over the years, has been gained from modest signings.

I am not sure, we are geared, to signing big name players.....we have mainly developed our own and increased their value, when they have been with us.

Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, TRO said:

The paradox is, that apart from the odd exception....our recruitment success over the years, has been gained from modest signings.

I am not sure, we are geared, to signing big name players.....we have mainly developed our own and increased their value, when they have been with us.

I am fine with that. 100 mil on 4-5 signings maybe 1 or 2 of which are on frees is perfect. 

In an ideal world

Hermoso on a free

Y. Fofana for 25 mil (12 months on deal) 

Wieffer for 25 mil

Tiago Santos 20 mil

Barkley on a Free

Would basically be a perfect window in terms of adding depth and improving the team. You'd still be missing a really good tight space dribbler but otherwise that really improves our Suze and physicality in the middle and adds a real attacking threat at RB. 

And that would leave excess money to upgrade positions of players we sell such as Carlos or digne/moreno. 

My dream attacking signing is cherki, he's an elite playmaker and an amazing dribbler, 2 footed, only 20. Really needs to improve his goalscoring but if that clicks he's a 100 mil player. Think he could be had for 30.

Edited by MotoMkali

6 hours ago, calcifer said:

Had to laugh at the Sun Headline that popped up on my newsfeed! Thing they have been reading this thread 🤣

"Villa have to sell, biggest losses in Europe and there won't be many coming in blah blah... "

Yes we are probably going need to sell but it's not THAT bad. 

We have already seen our squad is small and we need additional players in key positions, its a guarantee we will have injuries and suspensions next season so we can't just sell everyone, as much as the media want us to fall on our backside. 

Let's just trust Unai. He got us into the CL. 

our squad isn't small but it has players that aren't worth playing, if we get rid of those players and get a handful in, the amount of useable players for want of a better phrase increases.

Yes the sun headline is hilarious and written by someone who doesn't understand FFP

Imo we really don't need to break the bank on any one player. Such as Baena. We can already go toe to toe with any team in the world with our first XI. We don't need to be looking at massive upgrades there. Maybe a marginal upgrade at RB or LB and a Starting DM whilst Kamara is out. 

But our money should be spent on improving our depth and diversifying our roster. Increasing our physicality in midfield, adding an intricate tight space dribbler in attack I think are our 2 obvious needs beyond positional and a RB who fits emery's demands. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, CarryOnVilla said:

If we sell each other players, is it dodgy?

even being open about the sales are for FFP reasons, is it still dodgy?

The only dodgy part would be how much money each club would get. But if the prices aren’t inflated, then it’s fine, right? 

but saying this, how much is Duran worth?!? His potential is wildly unpredictable. He could be a Bertie Traore, his whole career or world class. So £40m to £100m could arguably be the range 

It all feels dodgy and it is, but what rules would actually be broken? 

totally within the rules

13 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

I am fine with that. 100 mil on 4-5 signings maybe 1 or 2 of which are on frees is perfect. 

In an ideal world

Hermoso on a free

Y. Fofana for 25 mil (12 months on deal) 

Wieffer for 25 mil

Tiago Santos 20 mil

Barkley on a Free

Would basically be a perfect window in terms of adding depth and improving the team. You'd still be missing a really good tight space dribbler but otherwise that really improves our Suze and physicality in the middle and adds a real attacking threat at RB. 

And that would leave excess money to upgrade positions of players we sell such as Carlos or digne/moreno. 

My dream attacking signing is cherki, he's an elite playmaker and an amazing dribbler, 2 footed, only 20. Really needs to improve his goalscoring but if that clicks he's a 100 mil player. Think he could be had for 30.

he is available for way less than 30 right now.

2 minutes ago, paul514 said:

he is available for way less than 30 right now.

If he is then we should snap him up. He's going to be world class in the future. 

Posted (edited)

This forum has gone down the drain with what ive seen the past 48 hours no disrespect btw but i see it time and time again after we have shown the levels and heights we are heading in, we need to move away from the average joe market we are in the big boy leagues.

- Release Duran to Bring in Jackson 🤯

- Sign Conor Gallagher because hes been the player of the season and would be a delight for champions league games 🤯

- Ross Barkley did well for luton and could have got in the england squad so bring him back 🤯

These are not players we should be gambling on, if we are selling to bring in players we would need to ensure they are improving the squad, who the hell does conor gallagher play over ffs. 

Edited by RicRic
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2

15 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

If he is then we should snap him up. He's going to be world class in the future. 

he might be, I have seen things saying it is in the teens for the price.

9 minutes ago, RicRic said:

This forum has gone down the drain with what ive seen the past 48 hours no disrespect btw but i see it time and time again after we have shown the levels and heights we are heading in, we need to move away from the average joe market we are in the big boy leagues.

- Sign Conor Gallagher because hes been the player of the season and would be a delight for champions league games 🤯

- Ross Barkley did well for luton and could have got in the england squad so bring him back 🤯

These are not players we should be gambling on, if we are selling to bring in players we would need to ensure they are improving the squad, who the hell does conor gallagher play over ffs. 

Ross Barkley would be a free transfer. As 8th Choice CAM, 3rd choice B2B. 

Sure he might be a regular substitute which would allow us to properly rest some of our players more frequently with zero minutes too. And he'd get starts due to injuries. But the issue with barkley for us wasn't that he wasn't talented or good enough it was that his hamstrings cooked him and his defense wromrate was too subpar. Well his defence has improved with Luton and regular rotation should help prevent his hamstrings from being overcooked again. 

His size and physicality too can help us defensively on corners where we lack height. 

22 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Fair enough for your opinion but this thread is like any normal fantasy football league... some people prefer to get mid range value across the board so there's no weak links and a strong bench, others like to spunk all the cash on a few expensive signings and have a good XI only. Then you get the difference where some invest more in defenders than attackers etc. etc.

Saying its gone down the drain because people see squad building differently is a tad melodramatic.

• Like 3

47 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Cherki is an interesting one as I agree he ‘could’ be world class, technically he’s on another level but for me there’s always been a question about his attitude. If Emery could do something about that he’d be amazing. At present his numbers aren’t that great haven’t been for a few seasons. 

There is some top talent in France though, I always like Gouiri personally but he’s gone off the boil that last 18 months. 

12 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

Ross Barkley would be a free transfer. As 8th Choice CAM, 3rd choice B2B. 

Sure he might be a regular substitute which would allow us to properly rest some of our players more frequently with zero minutes too. And he'd get starts due to injuries. But the issue with barkley for us wasn't that he wasn't talented or good enough it was that his hamstrings cooked him and his defense wromrate was too subpar. Well his defence has improved with Luton and regular rotation should help prevent his hamstrings from being overcooked again. 

His size and physicality too can help us defensively on corners where we lack height. 

Why would Barkley come to us as 8th choice CAM  or just a regular bench player when he has shown he can play in the first XI for  lower half premier league teams?

why would we bring him on a free? He can demand now a large ish signing bonus and vastly increased wages over his £30k per week at Luton because he has proved (reconfirmed) he can do it at this level.  They’ll be many clubs offering him regular first team football which we can’t and thus he’ll be getting decent wages.

For me it’s a no, his workrate wasn’t enough and his can’t be bothered attitude sometimes isn’t something I want to see again.  That doesn’t disappear quickly despite a good season at Luton.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, burchy said:

Cherki is an interesting one as I agree he ‘could’ be world class, technically he’s on another level but for me there’s always been a question about his attitude. If Emery could do something about that he’d be amazing. At present his numbers aren’t that great haven’t been for a few seasons. 

There is some top talent in France though, I always like Gouiri personally but he’s gone off the boil that last 18 months. 

From what I gather since January he's been applying himself, in large part because of the new manager and the mroe experienced players are constantly encouraging him and coaching him. We've got a couple of leaders on the pitch so we could be a good destination to help him realise his potential. 

His finishing is definitely rough as you say but he's a great passer already. He also had 11 goal contributions in 1900 minutes in all comps which is a goal or assist every other game which is fine for a 20 year old. 

5 hours ago, Tubby said:

Reading some of these posts leaves me looking forward to 30th August when the window shuts.

We are run by some of the smartest people in football, we have nothing to worry about.

Yes, past 2 or 3 windows these threads have been more entertaining/interesting  than "I need to check every hour because we're in desperate  need" as they have been. Even transfer deadline days have been relaxing 

Â