Villa players who served in the military

Marka Ragnos

I was enjoying this video some of you may have seen and then found this fascinating if heartwrenching website, and I was curious to see what became of some of these young Villans on the edge of the first world war. I count six Villans or former Villans who actually died in the Great War, and at least a couple dozen current or formers who went to war. Who is "Barker" the bulldog on the opening credits?

I began to wonder about other Villa players who also served in any military, not only the first world war. Not sure if this can be folded into another topic. It's bit specific, but I find this stuff interesting.

Side note: I marvel at the aerial quality of the old game and how much this looks like what you can see today in Afcon. It's amazing, the similarities. The ball is always up!

“I knew nothing of professional footballers when I took over this Battalion.
I have learnt to value them. I would go anywhere with such men.
Their esprit de corps was amazing.
This feeling was mainly due to football - the link of fellowship which bound them together.
Football has a wonderful grip on these men and on the Army generally.”

COLONEL H.T. FENWICK
Commanding Officer of the 17th (Service) Battalion, Duke of Cambridge's Own (Middlesex Regiment) (1915-17)

Edited by Marka Ragnos

50 minutes ago, Ginko said:

Was he posted at that barracks in the village just outside of Lichfield?

Okay, I know it’s not his name, but it’s close enough.

Whittington 

• Like 1

@Marka Ragnos This is a great idea for a thread.  My better half serves in the US Air Force, so it's always nice to see something like this, showing some respect and recognition to those who served.  I recall my dad telling me about a few local footballers from Birmingham who went off to war and never returned.

In American football there are quite a few examples of players who are/were in the armed forces.  We lived in Arizona for long period of time and perhaps the best-known example of military service was Pat Tillman, an Arizona kid who was playing in the NFL when 9/11 happened - he quit his NFL contract to join the Army Rangers.  

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, FLVillan said:

@Marka Ragnos This is a great idea for a thread.  My better half serves in the US Air Force, so it's always nice to see something like this, showing some respect and recognition to those who served.  I recall my dad telling me about a few local footballers from Birmingham who went off to war and never returned.

In American football there are quite a few examples of players who are/were in the armed forces.  We lived in Arizona for long period of time and perhaps the best-known example of military service was Pat Tillman, an Arizona kid who was playing in the NFL when 9/11 happened - he quit his NFL contract to join the Army Rangers.  

Thank her for her service 

• Like 3

The last player I can think of is Guy Whittingham who eventually left the army to play full time football. His best spell was at Portsmouth but joined villa in the 93-94 season. I think he was a villa fan growing up.

Edit- have just seen this already mentioned. I have nothing else to add.

Edited by The Fun Factory

There must have been a Villa fan involved in the drawing up of the trench map for the Battle of Bazentin Ridge.

As you can see below, there are two parallel trenches called 'Aston Trench' and 'Villa Trench.'

AVFC Official 

ce428a28-4392-4609-8dc0-2bef845a21d9.png

• Like 3

Â