Tom Lockyer

GingerCollins29

I admire his willingness to get back playing, but he's now had two cardiac arrests on the pitch. For a young man with a family I hope that someone talks some sense into him and that he retires. 

He's captain so maybe Luton could support him with his badges and he could go down that route in the future but I seriously worry if he returns to playing 

• Like 4

The game as it is now places such a strain on the body that I think it's fairly foolish to consider playing after a cardiac incident. I'm surprised Erikson carried on, but in Lockyer's case he's had 2 separate heart attacks in 6 months - it shouldn't be his choice anymore, he's clearly got cardiac problems and under strain he could be placed into a life threatening situation again. I don't think his club can sanction that, and I also suspect interested third parties (insurers, the league) will not be keen to see him on the pitch again.

It's also affecting more than just him and his family. His teammates are obviously going to be badly affected when it happens, as we've seen already, and it's caused a game to be abandoned which is going to have knock on effects to the team and wider league.

He should hang up the boots, do his badges and go into coaching.

Just now, Chindie said:

He should hang up the boots, do his badges and go in the studio.

FTFY

with the story attached to him sky should get him in and I'd be surprised if they don't, not sure Luton have enough coverage to make it work long term but I think people would warm to him the problem is more just people knowing who he is

I suspect he will have to retire. Still, I think it also all depends on the precise nature of the problem. As I understand it, no two cases are the same. The atrial fib incident last spring could have been caused by an underlying electrical/structural issue corrected a couple weeks ago with the insertion of a device. That correction could be virtually 95%-100% protective now. But if the underlying ventricle issue is severe, an implanted defibrillator may still not do enough for a professional athlete. I imagine he's going to have to do a lot more tests to work out how severe the issue is. My wife and mum both have had serious rhythm issues, but my wife has zero problems now after a procedure, can swim countless laps, etc. One of my friends just had an implanted pacemaker.

Edited by Marka Ragnos

he got that device inserted in him which will shock his heart to avoid an incident which we have previously seen twice in the last 6 months, but honestly, i think luton have played better without him and he should do the responsible thing and hang up his boots. Been a pro footballer for over a decade now, made plenty of appearances for various clubs and his country, made a decent amount.....walk away

• Like 1

Heart conditions are frightening. My cousin was a cyclist and rock climber but had a Heart attack and needed quadruple bypass surgery. He had no idea his arteries were almost completely blocked.

Â