• Ramsey (Zaniolo 45)
    • Durán (McGinn 65)
    • Cash (Konsa 74)
    • Moreno (Digne 74)
    • Diaby (Bailey 74)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 05/12/23 at 23:59

2 hours ago, JPJCB said:

We never mounted “title challenges” under O’Neill so your memory is very much selective.

Im 32 and this is the best season in my living memory so far- sorry if that offends you 

We were 3rd in the league after 25 games in 08/09.

You might not classify that as an abortive title challenge (I would), but it's still patently better than being 4th after 14 games.

Selective memory doesn't come into it - merely facts. 

This is not the best season in living memory and you are the one with the defective memory if you think so. Laughable.

Edited by est1874

7 minutes ago, est1874 said:

We were 3rd in the league after 25 games in 08/09.

You might not classify that as an abortive title challenge (I would), but it's still patently better than being 4th after 14 games.

Selective memory doesn't come into it - merely facts. 

This is not the best season in living memory and you are the one with the defective memory if you think so. Laughable.

How many points did we have at that point? Genuine question as I can’t find the stats.

i looked at the final standings and we had 62 points after 38 games which is 1.6 ppg vs 2.1ppg so far this season. If we continue that form we finish the season with 78 points. How’s your maths? Does that sound good enough for you?

More generally, I’ve no problem with you thinking 08/09 was the time of your life- you go for it mate. But don’t piss on other people on this forum’s parade for having the temerity to enjoy what’s going on under emery. Maybe you an I will meet one day in 10 years and you’ll tell me glowingly how amazing life was under O’Neill and I’ll argue that it was better under emery. Who knows who will be right but I have a suspicion it won’t be you

16 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

How many points did we have at that point? Genuine question as I can’t find the stats.

i looked at the final standings and we had 62 points after 38 games which is 1.6 ppg vs 2.1ppg so far this season. If we continue that form we finish the season with 78 points. How’s your maths? Does that sound good enough for you?

More generally, I’ve no problem with you thinking 08/09 was the time of your life- you go for it mate. But don’t piss on other people on this forum’s parade for having the temerity to enjoy what’s going on under emery. Maybe you an I will meet one day in 10 years and you’ll tell me glowingly how amazing life was under O’Neill and I’ll argue that it was better under emery. Who knows who will be right but I have a suspicion it won’t be you

We were 8 points behind the leader Man U in week 25, unfortunately that was a high point, and by week 27 we were 13 points behind. We slipped further away in the coming weeks (21 points behind by Week 32), and finished the season 27 points behind Man U, who won. 

Incidentally, the difference between us and the winner that year was one point less than the difference last year.  

Edited by HKP90
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

I don't know what the points were, go dig deeper if you want. 

I've never told anyone not to enjoy this season. I'm enjoying it immensely and Emery is doing a great job with what I think is not as good a squad as others seem to think they can will it to be.

I'm just not a happy clapper. All is not perfect and yesterday's performance was poor overall. We have some issues in the squad that need addressing.

There is nothing wrong with enjoying things overall while analysing the odd poor result here and there. It's not a crime to look a bit deeper into football than "shut up and support the Villa eh mate?"

• Like 3

1 minute ago, HKP90 said:

We were 8 points behind the leader Man U in week 25, unfortunately that was a high point, and by week 25 we were 13 points behind. We slipped further away in the coming weeks (21 points behind by Week 32), and finished the season 27 points behind Man U, who won. 

So that means united finished with 89 points which would only be 11 points higher than our implied end season standing this year based on 2.1 ppg so far. With a 78 points total, which we’re on course for at this rate under emery, we’d have comfortably finished 4th that year (actual finish was 6th)

Apparently, yesterday was International Basque Language day. 

I suspect both Emery and Iraola uttered some choice Basque language at various times during that match. 

Thought we looked a little tired and leggy, not to sure about the tinkering at right back, think we need a new one in january and probably a midfielder to ease the workload and stress in that area.      We are living in Unai times.

• Like 1

I thought Unai picked the wrong back four first half as we didn't have Kamara to shield them from the midfield runners. Added to that  Zaniolo was off the pace so it was a relief to get in at HT 1-1.

Pleased with the changes second half but we really need to cut out these easy goals we are gifting teams at the minute. Collectively we need more effort on keeping clean sheets.

1 point from Forest and Bournemouth ain't top four material as Unai will know all to well.

While we wallow in the undoubted magnificent turn around, under Unai, in order to get better, there is plenty to ponder too.

I think Wolves, Forest and Bournemouth away games.....have given us enough of an "eye test" to conclude that there is sure, room for improvement.

We can all turn to personnel changes, but there is an intrinsic element to all those games....They are all bottom half teams, Forest have only won 1 in 9......yes, you've guessed it......but they have one common denominator, all up for the press, and shut us down, and we are fazed by it, we have to deal with that.

All those teams with their indifferent form, have been up for it, against us, and we, for most part, have allowed them to be.....We are still easy to score against, particulalry, in the formative periods of a game, and particulalry away from home.....we don't secure the initiative early doors...We allow teams to settle and gain confidence...we seem intent on standing off or the semi-press, without conviction.

I am not seeking for us to blow teams away and go gungho......I am saying we should stay ON the ball with more gusto, and not lose it so effortlessly.

Our efforts to fight back, lately have been admirable, but we are forcing ourselves in to unnecessary hard work..." a stitch in time saves nine".....we are too benevolent with the ball, giving it away, with gay abandon.

I am not sure, if its the trade off with our style or we simply need a few more players with a nose for stopping the opposition.....Emi Martinez right now, is instrumental in painting a picture in our favour.....he has to be protected, better than what he is.

A right back of the right quality is a must.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, 6065_Villa said:

I thought Unai picked the wrong back four first half as we didn't have Kamara to shield them from the midfield runners. Added to that  Zaniolo was off the pace so it was a relief to get in at HT 1-1.

Pleased with the changes second half but we really need to cut out these easy goals we are gifting teams at the minute. Collectively we need more effort on keeping clean sheets.

1 point from Forest and Bournemouth ain't top four material as Unai will know all to well.

Thats twice we have said that in the last 2 games....albeit 4 points from 2 tough away games, seems to challenge the eye test.

It seems to me, we are a bit too easy to score against, for comfort.

However, if you take away the Newcastle reversal, we are in the pack with the top boys for goals conceded....we have played 2 of the most prolific scoring teams away already, to distort the overall figure.

I think we can improve in this area, but I think we need a war horse to add to the squad, particularly for games away from home.

2 hours ago, JPJCB said:

Also more fans have probably enjoyed this more than 08/09 due to our home form. Under MON we were a top 4 side away from home, a mid table one at home. Endless 1-1 draws.

6 minutes ago, The Fun Factory said:

Also more fans have probably enjoyed this more than 08/09 due to our home form. Under MON we were a top 4 side away from home, a mid table one at home. Endless 1-1 draws.

This is much better football quality, than MON's spell...

We was a bit of a smash and grab team Under O'Neill....with Young, Agbonlahor and Carew.....the main threats....and yes our away form, suggested this.

19 hours ago, ozvilla28 said:

Very simple this away form will cost us eventually conceding poor goals and playing catchup.There won't be a comeback every game sooner or later luck will run out. It will hold us back this season if it's not rectified. Our setup last 2 weeks hasn't suit us at all.

I think you are right.....and its no good waiting until our luck does run out, before we talk about it.

The lower teams in the league , have a number on us......and we would be wise, to check it out......I think lower league teams with the right approach, would too.

We have to find a way of resisting, being negated, to let our talent, tell.

Edited by TRO

19 hours ago, Nigel said:

Zaniolo worries me, he needs games to get up to speed but hes a liability when he does.  Lost count of the amount of times he lost the ball today.  

Even still we should have gone in at half time with the advantage as the rest did quite well, but the ref wasnt up to his job to do his part.

The second half was a slog, you could see the desperation come in at times hen we went behind again.

I dont think taking McGinn off was the right move but maybe thats about more than this game. Had he stayed on we had a better chance.

Congratulations to Watkins for the equaliser though, great header that he had no right scoring from.

Andy Grayesque

• Like 2

I've only seen the highlights but not giving a second yellow to Semenyo was a disgrace.    

It looked like we were somewhat fortunate to dig out a draw, despite hitting the post and having another marginally offside goal disallowed.  Martinez did brilliantly to keep out those two Solanke chances, but what were the bloody centre backs doing apart from ball watching? 

Shame we couldn't have played Bournemouth a few weeks ago when they were pants - they've looked a very decent side the last 4-5 games. 

Sadly I think our away form isn't good enough for us to finish in the top 4 this season, we're too flaky defensively and too many players seem to go into their shells away from home. Mind you if we can continue to dig out 4 points from every 6 when not at our best, who knows?  And there is plenty of room for improvement.   

Think Emery needs to dispense with the Konsa at right back experiment unless no other choice - didn't work against Spurs and again this week.

Edited by El Segundo
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, TRO said:

This is much better football quality, than MON's spell...

We was a bit of a smash and grab team Under O'Neill....with Young, Agbonlahor and Carew.....the main threats....and yes our away form, suggested this.

In danger of going off topic but for MON I always remember Martin Samuel quote of Villa being 'counter-attacking chaos on toast'.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, sheepyvillian said:

Whenever we don't get 3 points, it's always down to the ref.

I think when you are not the most physical of sides, and rely on talent....you do need a sharp sighted official.....when shirt pulling, and hand pulling is ignored, teams like ours suffer.....because we struggle to make the superior talent, count.

This wasn't all down to the ref, Sheepy, you are right.....but ignoring deliberate fouls enhances the opponent to do it more.

We do seem to be a bit short on energy and intensity to me.