Midweek Football 6/9 November

andykeenan

Spurs v Chelsea kick off here was 630am so I listened to it while I got ready for work, then I listened to it while I drove to my first job, then I listened to it while I trimmed a 15ft hedge (yes I'm a gardener)....

Mental match, absolutely bonkers.... 

Thought the ref did a decent job under extreme circumstances.

Romero has to be the most clueless word removed ever to get paid to play football, not only his incredible lack of discipline and composure in important moments but his psychotic tackle was on his international teammate 😅 

Edited by Villan_of_oz
  • Like 1

Newcastle United have not been Champions of anything since the 1950s, with a minor European trophy in 1969 & a couple of second tier English titles. Yet, watch them & their Saudi-bribed media all whinge about being knocked out early from the actual Champions League.

Qualifying for the CL in the PL is pretty much the holy grail for anyone outside of Man City, who take it as a given they'll be there. So once you're there, and in the case of Newcastle, after a 20 yr absence, and you draw some genuinely top teams yet you don't play your strongest 11. 

Truly bizarre. I honestly don't get it. They've got Bournemouth on Saturday ffs. 

5 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

Qualifying for the CL in the PL is pretty much the holy grail for anyone outside of Man City, who take it as a given they'll be there. So once you're there, and in the case of Newcastle, after a 20 yr absence, and you draw some genuinely top teams yet you don't play your strongest 11. 

Truly bizarre. I honestly don't get it. They've got Bournemouth on Saturday ffs. 

Don’t think it’s out of choice, they have an extensive injury / unavailable for selection issue currently 

Just seen AC Milan beat PSG. Don’t think it be ideal if Newcastle finished bottom of the group because they then wouldn’t have any European football to do deal with second half of the season and that would give them an advantage. 

Ideally they finish 3rd and drop into the Europa League as I’d imagine both them and Brighton would fancy themselves to go deep in that competition. 

18 minutes ago, RichW said:

Just seen AC Milan beat PSG. Don’t think it be ideal if Newcastle finished bottom of the group because they then wouldn’t have any European football to do deal with second half of the season and that would give them an advantage. 

Ideally they finish 3rd and drop into the Europa League as I’d imagine both them and Brighton would fancy themselves to go deep in that competition. 

Yep also helps with the coefficient and getting that 5th Champions League spot for the PL. Both of them to get eliminated in painful circumstances in the late stages of the competition works for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Do City have a buyback on Cole Palmer? He's a huge talent.

I don't think Chelsea would have agreed to that would they? Maybe if he'd gone to a smaller club, but Clearlake FC's business model is based around hoovering up young talent and selling the ones that don't fit the in-house requirements. 

• Like 1

Â