Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

Don't know if anyone ever listens to the World Football Phone-in on 5 live on Friday night but last night they mentioned how Carlos Valderama had a son called Kevin. I wonder how many Colombian Kevins there are, I'm thinking not many.

I heard that too. I always listen when I'm not clubbing. Tim Vickery would be an excellent scout for us.

Probably been listening for over 2 years when I dont go out, when I do go out I'm normally clubbing till the buses start again. It will be interesting how much they discuss Villa in the US over the next few months.

How is your battle going Paddy? hope all is well.

If you want to count to a billion it will take you about 39 years.

Is that a REAL billion (1,000,000,000,000) or a pretend (American) billion 1,000,000,000 ?

Its an American billion or milliard. And you have to pronounce the whole numbers. Threemilliontwohundredandeightythreethousandfourhundredandfiftyone, threemilliontwohundredandeightythreethousandfourhundredandfiftytwo etc.. :)

How is your battle going Paddy? hope all is well.

Yeah not too bad thanks, don't know if the treatment is actually working but I'm coping with it pretty well. Just got back from the hospital now where I started my 3rd cycle of chemo.

• 4 months later...

[i might be wrong on this one]

The lowest possible points total in the Premier League (as currently structured and barring points deductions) where three clubs have fewer points is 5 (iow, the best you can hope for if you don't get 5 points is to stay up on goal difference).

• 2 weeks later...

The most amount of penalties conceded since the start of the Premier League is 140 by Aston Villa, 47 at Villa Park and 93 at away grounds.

In the same time Manchester United have conceded just 58 (a measly 5 at Old Trafford, and 53 away from the Theatre of Dreams where the referees are allowed to apply the rules to both teams)

The most amount of penalties conceded since the start of the Premier League is 140 by Aston Villa, 47 at Villa Park and 93 at away grounds.

In the same time Manchester United have conceded just 58 (a measly 5 at Old Trafford, and 53 away from the Theatre of Dreams where the referees are allowed to apply the rules to both teams)

no surprise there in those always knew the refs hated us

The lowest possible points total in the Premier League (as currently structured and barring points deductions) where three clubs have fewer points is 5 (iow, the best you can hope for if you don't get 5 points is to stay up on goal difference).

Now that is interesting if true. Cheers :thumb: You're always good for a cerebral post :D

Now that is interesting if true. Cheers :thumb: You're always good for a cerebral post :D

I think you might be wrong.

Let's start off with a basic formula.

For 3 teams to go down with minimum pts they need to draw with each other, and lose to everyone else (including your team), meaning they all end up with 4pts. But by losing to everyone else they are gifting everyone else 3pts per game, so by my reckoning, by beating each of those 3 teams twice you will get 18pts, then lose to everyone else leaving you 4th last on 18pts.

Now let's tweak the formula.

To bring your points down in 17th lets draw with each of the bottom 3 just once (instead of beating them). That moves each of them up to 5pts from 4pts and you move down from 18pts to 12pts (18pts-6pts).

Further tweak. Draw with one of them twice, that team moves to 6pts and you move down to 10pts. Draw with another one of them twice moves that team to 6pts too and moves you down to 8pts. Finally draw with the 3rd team twice and they are all on 6pts as are you.

Actually having written all that I realise I could've written it much more simply. Basically to finish 4th bottom with the fewest amount of points you need 4 teams to take points off each other and lose to everyone else- meaning 6 draws each ergo 6pts at season's end.

Ive been trying to think how this would work.

If you have one team that loses every game, that means all other teams in the division would have six points as they will have beaten the team who lost every game twice so the situation would have to occur from draws.

You need three teams to go down.

If they all draw against each other and lose against eveybody else then they will all end up with four points each but you will have beaten them all twice so have at least 18 points.

If they all draw against each other and against you home and away then everyone ends up on six points.

To end up with five points and stay up you assume that the other 16 clubs in the league did the double over you and then finish top of a four team mini league with a total of five points from six games. Thats a win, two draws and three defeats.

Given that no one can win twice in this mini league or it will put them on six points then surely its impossible, unless im missing something really obvious here.

Â