Totally useless information/trivia

RunRickyRun

So I was at an auction the other day, browsing the lots with my father in Law. Amongst the lots was some really old farm equipment. Father in law, coming from a farming family, pointed out an old sharpening stone. It was unusual in that it was abot 6 inches long, tubular and slightly bulbous in the middle. So he asked me if I knew what it was. I told him it was a sharpening stone. He told me it was for sharpening scythes. He then rambled on about how they harvested in his Grandfathers day, about 1850's. But the really good bit. They carried these stones with them into the fields. Now an ordinary pocket was no good as they would either fall out or more commonly bang about your leg and back as you were constantly bending. So they had narrow pockets sewn into their gowns to hold them steady. So just think of the shape if this pocket. Guess what its called. Its real name, honestly is a word we cant use, but think of see you next tuesday. Its a real word for everyday use, well 150 years ago it was

BMI is bullshit. But it does work for my stat above.

Ah but does it? Because to gain that weight you would need millions of people to eat stuff, which would reduce the weight of other things on the planet and bring the overall weight of the Earth down!

So I was at an auction the other day, browsing the lots with my father in Law. Amongst the lots was some really old farm equipment. Father in law, coming from a farming family, pointed out an old sharpening stone. It was unusual in that it was abot 6 inches long, tubular and slightly bulbous in the middle. So he asked me if I knew what it was. I told him it was a sharpening stone. He told me it was for sharpening scythes. He then rambled on about how they harvested in his Grandfathers day, about 1850's. But the really good bit. They carried these stones with them into the fields. Now an ordinary pocket was no good as they would either fall out or more commonly bang about your leg and back as you were constantly bending. So they had narrow pockets sewn into their gowns to hold them steady. So just think of the shape if this pocket. Guess what its called. Its real name, honestly is a word we cant use, but think of see you next tuesday. Its a real word for everyday use, well 150 years ago it was
The word "word removed" forms part of some technical terms used in seafaring and other industries.

In nautical usage, a word removed splice is a type of rope splice used to join two lines in the rigging of ships. Its name has been bowdlerised since at least 1861, and in more recent times it is commonly referred to as a "cut splice".

The Dictionary of Sea Terms, found within Dana's 1841 maritime compendium The Seaman's Friend, defines the word cuntline as "the space between the bilges of two casks, stowed side by side. Where one cask is set upon the cuntline between two others, they are stowed bilge and cuntline." The "bilge" of a barrel or cask is the widest point, so when stored together the two casks would produce a curved V-shaped gap. The glossary of The Ashley Book of Knots by Clifford W. Ashley, first published in 1944, defines cuntlines as "the surface seams between the strands of a rope." Though referring to a different object than Dana's definition, it similarly describes the crease formed by two abutting cylinders.

Wikipedia

Word filters unmodified.

BMI is bullshit. But it does work for my stat above.

Ah but does it? Because to gain that weight you would need millions of people to eat stuff, which would reduce the weight of other things on the planet and bring the overall weight of the Earth down!

the Earth's population would weigh over 39 million tonnes more

;)

The word "word removed" forms part of some technical terms used in seafaring and other industries.

In nautical usage, a word removed splice is a type of rope splice used to join two lines in the rigging of ships. Its name has been bowdlerised since at least 1861, and in more recent times it is commonly referred to as a "cut splice".

The Dictionary of Sea Terms, found within Dana's 1841 maritime compendium The Seaman's Friend, defines the word cuntline as "the space between the bilges of two casks, stowed side by side. Where one cask is set upon the cuntline between two others, they are stowed bilge and cuntline." The "bilge" of a barrel or cask is the widest point, so when stored together the two casks would produce a curved V-shaped gap. The glossary of The Ashley Book of Knots by Clifford W. Ashley, first published in 1944, defines cuntlines as "the surface seams between the strands of a rope." Though referring to a different object than Dana's definition, it similarly describes the crease formed by two abutting cylinders.

Wikipedia

Word filters unmodified.

How did these 3 get through? :?

Because they're a part of a bigger word. It's the same reason Scunthorpe doesn't become Sword removedhorpe.

The infamous 'Firewall FC'

:mrgreen:

Stab in the dark from someone who is simply interested in science -

Light is effected by gravity. Gravity's strength is proportional to mass, the sun has so enormous a mass that photons (which is what light is effectively 'made of') that it generates at it's core are slowed down by the pull of the sun's gravity at it's core, so their movement away from the core to become what we would think of as 'sunlight' takes far, far longer than it would normally take light to cover such a distance

Stab in the dark from someone who is simply interested in science -

Light is effected by gravity. Gravity's strength is proportional to mass, the sun has so enormous a mass that photons (which is what light is effectively 'made of') that it generates at it's core are slowed down by the pull of the sun's gravity at it's core, so their movement away from the core to become what we would think of as 'sunlight' takes far, far longer than it would normally take light to cover such a distance

Grateful amateur scientist mode::thumb:

Annoying grammar nazi mode:*cough, affected, cough* :P

Â