GEEK!!

Xann

If you want to out a geek, confess to being a geek, have geek sympathies or any wish to air products of geekdom or utterly unprovable geek theories? Roll on.

Screenshot2023-09-08at10_06_30.png.3832d1fce1a1b944e92a7efed4fe4db2.png

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/movie-tv-memorabilia/costumes/original-screen-matched-complete-hero-imperial-stormtrooper-costume-from-star-wars-episode-iv-a-new-hope/a/7278-89463.s#auction-description

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Xann said:

If you want to out a geek, confess to being a geek, have geek sympathies or any wish to air products of geekdom or utterly unprovable geek theories? Roll on.

Screenshot2023-09-08at10_06_30.png.3832d1fce1a1b944e92a7efed4fe4db2.png

https://entertainment.ha.com/itm/movie-tv-memorabilia/costumes/original-screen-matched-complete-hero-imperial-stormtrooper-costume-from-star-wars-episode-iv-a-new-hope/a/7278-89463.s#auction-description

Only the one for sale? You must be disappointed.

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Anthony said:

Only the one for sale? You must be disappointed.

Heh.

Someone I knew in a previous life as a Rock drummer is now a painter and decorator, and a stormtrooper in his spare time,

He's in the 501st (the dressy up bunch). He accompanies Darth Vader to children's hospitals.

Sadly, one of his friends died recently. The cortege was something else.

351351083_1639086946598004_8576268157986838947_n.thumb.jpg.a214f8692c9bccc0c0fbdff912e06188.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Xann said:

This seems like a thread for nerds, rather than geeks. Star Wars and war hammer and stuff.

IMG_3232.gif

3 hours ago, blandy said:

This seems like a thread for nerds, rather than geeks. Star Wars and war hammer and stuff.

IMG_3232.gif

All inclusive.

Hoping for an Agent Provocateur fan, or someone that makes boutique guitar pedals?

Edited by Xann

7488starwarsfan_neu.220426.thumb.webp.5c5173c48591e09dc287fb98fa5bd43f.webp

Deliberately wrong is a thing.

30 minutes ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

Star Wars.  Dr Spock and Professor Snape are the best characters. Revenge of the Jedi  

You'd get a pic for your mug/shirt from that line of text.

Here's "GWAR at the childrens' hospital".image.thumb.jpeg.9e24a951162af270880a2bb7a4bd7e25.jpeg

The mods may have taken down Charles Manson doing a lingerie catwalk show last night? 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Mandy Lifeboats said:

I love Star Wars.  Dr Spock and Professor Snape are the best characters. Revenge of the Jedi was definitely the best film of the 1990s.

image.jpeg.139b0b72a00b3d9182bb1779a434a102.jpeg

Don't forget this fella was brilliant in Revenge

• Like 1

I guess it's probably kind of geekish to do this, but I think it's helpful to pass along the latest Wikipedia intro on the term. I feel like nerds are often more pretentious towards other nerds than geeks are towards other geeks and non-geeks. Geeks don't flaunt it -- they're just that way.

The word geek is a slang term originally used to describe eccentric or non-mainstream people; in current use, the word typically connotes an expert or enthusiast obsessed with a hobby or intellectual pursuit. In the past, it had a generally pejorative meaning of a "peculiar person, especially one who is perceived to be overly intellectual, unfashionable, boring, or socially awkward".[1] In the 21st century, it was reclaimed and used by many people, especially members of some fandoms, as a positive term.[2][3][4]

Some use the term self-referentially without malice or as a source of pride,[5] often referring simply to "someone who is interested in a subject (usually intellectual or complex) for its own sake".

Edited by Marka Ragnos

My nipper lives just down the hill from Russell T Davies, the screenwriter.

Out the garden catching the last of the evening sun, Russell walked past, he said hello, remarked on the wearing of pyjamas outdoors. My nipper said hello, said it was the end of a long day and they were cooling. Russell, at that point invited himself in to the garden and introduced himself, they got chatting exchanged names and how long they’d lived in the area and general neighbourly chitter chatter about local shops n stuff, with my nipper trying to keep up an air of coolness and feigning no knowledge of who this guy was.

With that, nipper’s partner walks out, sees Russell T Davies in their garden and squeals ‘oh Russell, we were wondering when we’d see you, we’ve been admiring the mural on the side of your house, are you writing upstairs with that big screen that’s in the window?’

• Haha 2

45 minutes ago, Lichfield Dean said:

Do I win?

No, I think in the current mood the Ukrainian Warhammer fans in combat are in pole position ;)  

Second is the boy that schooled Games Workshop on their own franchise.

This is really my interest with the geek thing. They're killing it creatively.

Muso geek Look No Computer made the monster Megadrone, but it's not all so grand.

7 minutes ago, Xann said:

No, I think in the current mood the Ukrainian Warhammer fans in combat are in pole position ;)  

Second is the boy that schooled Games Workshop on their own franchise.

This is really my interest with the geek thing. They're killing it creatively.

Muso geek Look No Computer made the monster Megadrone, but it's not all so grand.

If you're going down that route then I'd vote for Hainbach

• Like 1

Didn't realise how much stuff was in the above auction.

The X-Wing is Red Leader from screen. $400,000 starting bid.

Shatner Kirk hairpiece!

A skin tight suit Jeri Ryan poured herself into.

Buck Rogers, V, Planet of the Apes, Forbidden Planet, Close Encounters of the Third Kind, Battlestar Galactica, Logan's Run, Space 1999, Batteries Not Included and Adam West's silly Batman kit.

Bit of shame it's not all staying together in a museum..

lf-15.jpg

lf-14.jpg

lf-13.jpg

lf-12.jpg

lf-11.jpg

lf-10.jpg

lf-9.jpg

lf-8.jpg

lf-7.jpg

lf-6.jpg

lf-5.jpg

lf-4.jpg

lf-3.jpg

lf-2.jpg

lf-1.jpg

lf.jpg

• Like 1

There isn't a definitive live action Batman anything. Some are better than others but none quite nail the comic take (although in some cases the comics changed so much it's arguably impossible for there to be a definitive one - the Batmobile for instance has been everything from a pretty standard 40s US car to exotic supercar with bat motifs bolted on to a tank to a completely bespoke vehicle). The Adam West take basically isn't at the top on anything though, to the extent that it lives in its own bubble for Batman fans now as it's own little thing - there are completely separate toy lines focused on the 60s TV series for instance, there's collectors that only collect 60s Batman stuff, or separate it out as it's too different to other stuff.

If you were to try to do a definitive list of the live action stuff, IMV, it's surprising how much Batfleck you end up with, and how little Nolan.

Batman - nobody is perfect but Affleck is closest (if too angry)

Batsuit - Affleck, BvS. Two tone, no tacticool, bulky but can move.

Batmobile - Burton.

Wayne - Bale.

Action - Affleck. He wins this for the warehouse scene alone tbh.

But none are perfect. The best Batman adaptation is the 90s cartoon and by extension the Arkham games. But nobody has ever translated that to live action.

Â