January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

52 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Do you want to bet against us?

Yes. I would bet against us 😆 

It would be a dream come true but would be miraculous if it happened. If anything we should be more worried about securing top 4. Spurs are strengthening and one of us, Spurs and Arsenal is going to miss out unless the 5th place is secured. 

15 hours ago, Beastmix said:

The marketing team would love it.

Free Bardghji with every Balti Pie, etc etc.

Heck would never allow something for free. There's no Balti pies in The Terrace View, so no investment into Bardghji's for everyone else

I think the priority has to be shifting Traore and Chambers this window if we can. Whatever we get in and wages saved will benefit our financial accounts this year. 

Overall transfer wise we are in a good place with this squad. Only positions we really need to improve on this summer would be GK, RB, CDM and maybe adding another attacker. So Olsen, Chambers, Dendonker, Traore departing to be replaced.

We'll have Mings and Buendia back which improves our squad level too. We should replace Digne if possible to help fund things. 

46 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I think the priority has to be shifting Traore and Chambers this window if we can. Whatever we get in and wages saved will benefit our financial accounts this year. 

Overall transfer wise we are in a good place with this squad. Only positions we really need to improve on this summer would be GK, RB, CDM and maybe adding another attacker. So Olsen, Chambers, Dendonker, Traore departing to be replaced.

We'll have Mings and Buendia back which improves our squad level too. We should replace Digne if possible to help fund things. 

You think so? Biggest concern for me is the drop off in quality for the cover of Martinez, Kamara and Watkins.  Losing just one of these takes us from a top 4 team to a mid table team IMO.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You think so? Biggest concern for me is the drop off in quality for the cover of Martinez, Kamara and Watkins.  Losing just one of these takes us from a top 4 team to a mid table team IMO.

I said overall, I also stated those exact positions in the following sentence as the ones we need to improve on.

10 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

I said overall, I also stated those exact positions in the following sentence as the ones we need to improve on.

If we could improve on any one or them now rather than the summer it could be the difference if we get unlucky with injuries to suspensions in players in those positions.

I appreciate that’s very difficult and unlikely though. 

11 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

We need some strength in depth. The first team is gonna be blowing out of their arse by mid Feb. 

This first team who've had one game in the space of 4 weeks will be blowing out of their arse in mid Feb. Wow how have they made it this far? 

• Haha 1

7 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

This first team who've had one game in the space of 4 weeks will be blowing out of their arse in mid Feb. Wow how have they made it this far? 

M'lud may I draw your attention to the Burnley game, where they were obviously blowing out of their arse. 

More games should fix that, though, you are right.

12 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

We’d have 5 games by mid Feb right ? I think we’ll be alright but can see the cups getting sacrificed unfortunately.

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

We’d have 5 games by mid Feb right ? I think we’ll be alright but can see the cups getting sacrificed unfortunately.

We have one Premier League game in 32 days, Everton. Lots of players rested for Boro. So Watkins\Luiz etc.. will have played 25 mins of football in 29 days between Burnley and Chelsea FA Cup game. Then for Feb and early March we have just one game a week on the weekends.

Edited by CVByrne
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I never bet against Villa but if you fancy a wager I’ll happily take it 😊 

Back on topic. Please sign someone to replace Donk. 🙏🏽 

Who would we get better than a Belgian international that is happy to sit on the bench?

• Thanks 2

44 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

We need some strength in depth. The first team is gonna be blowing out of their arse by mid Feb. 

Why? It's been talked about that Emery style of play is about conserving energy off the ball. We have the evidence of 2nd most points in 2023 and we're probably not going to get additions in January and neither are a lot of clubs with FFP restrictions kicking in. Seems like a lot of Chicken Littles in this forum

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Who would we get better than a Belgian international that is happy to sit on the bench?

Who did pretty well against Boro and was very good in some key results last season but Stevenage mistake defines him

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Who did pretty well against Boro and was very good in some key results last season but Stevenage mistake defines him

Why does one mistake define him but we let the numerous Kamara ones not define him? 

Luiz, Dendonker and Kamara all had the same mistake lead to a goal last season. 

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Why does one mistake define him but we let the numerous Kamara ones not define him? 

Luiz, Dendonker and Kamara all had the same mistake lead to a goal last season. 

I don't disagree. Carlos giving away goals this season for me is the bigger elephant in the room

FFP is such a pain in the ass… moving on a player like Digne would help if we got a decent offer… getting rid of Coutinho permanently.

Get the players who aren’t crucial or irreplaceable, that are paid big wages, off the books and replace with better value if we can… then hopefully free up funds (while doing well in the league) to make some proper/big signings…

The last thing we want is to sell a crucial player that should be part of our long term future… we have to be imaginative and “wheel and deal” as we did with the young player sales (w buybacks, none of which we’re likely to activate imo)… intelligent sales that don’t impact us too much but… we’re light on options and offers aren’t forthcoming for players like Chambers, Dendoncker, Traore…

The line there about Unai not wanting or accepting “second-rate players” is important…

We really, really need Champions League, much more than a trophy…

1 hour ago, Wainy316 said:

Because I think he’s shit and significantly weakens us whenever he plays. He also doesn’t get called up anymore.

But this debate has been done to death so we leave it there. 

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

He was non existent!  I’d be happy for him to make mistakes if he actually try something other than a 5 yard pass.

Edited by Vive_La_Villa