January Transfer Window 2024

TheAuthority

7 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Has 2 goals this season and got 9 last season in a so called weaker league. Spurs getting robbed

If that’s how it plays out and if they take up the option sure

8 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Emery woukd have fixed that

He isnt that much of a genius

Guy has been demoted to RB reserves in recent months

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zatman said:

He isnt that much of a genius

Guy has been demoted to RB reserves in recent months

Like I posted in Spurs thread, last 2 days was only talk of him going to Manure then this morning Spurs are in for him. If Manure sign him everyone laughs what a dud signng but on here any signing for Spurs is genius and they're almost guaranteed Top 4 now and at our expense

• Like 1

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Checking his stats looks like he hasnt played much this last few months. Not sure if this was this injury or manager preference related... Another thing that could make him cheap if the latter though as well as that Spain release clause thing.

Honestly though I don't know, hence my ask.

He just underwent shoulder surgery so he’ll be out awhile. Also had a leg strain issue in the fall.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Like I posted in Spurs thread, last 2 days was only talk of him going to Manure then this morning Spurs are in for him. If Manure sign him everyone laughs what a dud signng but on here any signing for Spurs is genius and they're almost guaranteed Top 4 now and at our expense

Not at all, I would have had him here as back up.

41 minutes ago, paul514 said:

Not at all, I would have had him here as back up.

Yeah and he wouldn't want to come here as he'd be back up for Watkins. It's a hard sell for anyone to join a club with such an established in form striker in the team already. 

Just now, CVByrne said:

Yeah and he wouldn't want to come here as he'd be back up for Watkins. It's a hard sell for anyone to join a club with such an established in form striker in the team already. 

possibly but my argument is he is more than adequate back up

9 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

He won't be starting at Spurs every week. Maybe the couple of games while Son is away

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

He won't be starting at Spurs every week. Maybe the couple of games while Son is away

who knows the proof is in the pudding, we will see how it plays out.

Personally I see transfers as a form of gambling and in this case I simply see a lot of talents this guy has that match with Watkins talents that's all.

7 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

Brennan Johnson hasn't quite been firing for them from what I've seen so could see Werner replacing him in the starting 11. 

4 minutes ago, villan95 said:

Brennan Johnson hasn't quite been firing for them from what I've seen so could see Werner replacing him in the starting 11. 

Who cares? I’m really only interested in additions to Villa’s squad.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, nick76 said:

Spurs midfielder? Surely you are kidding? He’s not good enough

I think he would be good cover for Kamara, better than Dendoncker.....decent defensive option imo.

40 minutes ago, TRO said:

I think he would be good cover for Kamara, better than Dendoncker.....decent defensive option imo.

Yeah but… the problem is… when dealing with PL teams or rivals… negotiations are more difficult and we can easily get fleeced on transfer fee and the player’s wage demands… why splash out on a player unless he is coming in to displace a starter? Why spend big on reserves? And he still gets games for Spurs…

I maintain that the best approach is to recruit from outside (with top class scouting and research) to find the best possible quality at the best possible value for us and I’m almost 100% sure that is why we have employed Monchi and his team/network… it would make no sense to have this team around Unai and to be so wary of FFP and financial restrictions/limitations/restrictions if we were just going to try n buy PL players… it’s a crazily expensive game (look at Chelsea, and they have not benefitted from it this time around. Brighton have laughed all the way to the bank and are still doing better than them… even after taking and ruining their previous manager on top of everything else 😆 and look how well they have done with the players and obscure names/talents they have brought in and made MASSIVE profits on)…

There is plenty and more than enough “PL experience” in our squad by now… all we need are injections of quality, enhancements when and where possible which is just what the most successful teams have done (look at the players Arsenal signed to dominate, the players City signed… likes of Aguero, Toure, Silva… obviously you have to find the right ones and not just anyone from anywhere…)

As I’ve explained many times… I don’t think there is any real value (more often that not, at least) to be had from buying from within the league… it’s rare…

The better and more competitive we get… the more difficult and expensive it’s going to be to take players from clubs around us too…

I think, usually, it’s the teams at the top with massive wealth (and that can get round FFP) that prey on teams not doing as well and take their more valued players who actually want out and to take a step up… we’ve been a victim of that so many times…

Maybe we can finally rise enough now to resist that and enhance ourselves instead… let’s well and truly upset that applecart this time… we can see other fans and media getting rattled and worried already 😂 it means we are making great strides and worrying them…

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, villan95 said:

We could offer half of what Spurs paid for him to rescue him from his "nightmare move" to London, it would be worth it to see Levy's reaction. 

9 hours ago, Kiwivillan said:

They have Richarlison, as well as Johnson too, so I agree that he would be more likely to get games with us, but I think he probably prefers the West End to Broad Street. It didn't work for him last time and it seems he may be keener on another shot in London than he is, another shot in the PL. His loss. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Yeah but… the problem is… when dealing with PL teams or rivals… negotiations are more difficult and we can easily get fleeced on transfer fee and the player’s wage demands… why splash out on a player unless he is coming in to displace a starter? Why spend big on reserves? And he still gets games for Spurs…

I maintain that the best approach is to recruit from outside (with top class scouting and research) to find the best possible quality at the best possible value for us and I’m almost 100% sure that is why we have employed Monchi and his team/network… it would make no sense to have this team around Unai and to be so wary of FFP and financial restrictions/limitations/restrictions if we were just going to try n buy PL players… it’s a crazily expensive game (look at Chelsea, and they have not benefitted from it this time around. Brighton have laughed all the way to the bank and are still doing better than them… even after taking and ruining their previous manager on top of everything else 😆 and look how well they have done with the players and obscure names/talents they have brought in and made MASSIVE profits on)…

There is plenty and more than enough “PL experience” in our squad by now… all we need are injections of quality, enhancements when and where possible which is just what the most successful teams have done (look at the players Arsenal signed to dominate, the players City signed… likes of Aguero, Toure, Silva… obviously you have to find the right ones and not just anyone from anywhere…)

As I’ve explained many times… I don’t think there is any real value (more often that not, at least) to be had from buying from within the league… it’s rare…

The better and more competitive we get… the more difficult and expensive it’s going to be to take players from clubs around us too…

I think, usually, it’s the teams at the top with massive wealth (and that can get round FFP) that prey on teams not doing as well and take their more valued players who actually want out and to take a step up… we’ve been a victim of that so many times…

Maybe we can finally rise enough now to resist that and enhance ourselves instead… let’s well and truly upset that applecart this time… we can see other fans and media getting rattled and worried already 😂 it means we are making great strides and worrying them…

I agree with all of that, and its not lost on me.....but there are the odd times, when a premier league accustomed player, is necessary, as Arsenal have done with Rice, Zinchenko and Jesus....and Man City have done with Grealish, Stones and Phillips 

Its difficult to keep finding gems at Aldi prices.

My suggestion of Hojbjerg, was based on the fact, that he is not a regular starter for Spurs, and we are not blessed as a squad, with players of defensive nous.....They have Skipp, Bentancur, Bissouma, Sarr and Hojbjerg all with CDM qualities.....they may want to cash in with one, and a deal could be modest.

I do get your point about Value for money, and Levy does have a reputation for being hard nosed, but financial pressures can relax that.

anyway, it was only a suggestion, its what UE wants that counts.

For me the DM position is a difficult one as there’s not that many decent options out there. We should go for Vermeeren as he’s only 18 and could be our DM for years if we could convince him to join.

Has a low release clause apparently

17 minutes ago, TRO said:

I agree with all of that, and its not lost on me.....but there are the odd times, when a premier league accustomed player, is necessary, as Arsenal have done with Rice, Zinchenko and Jesus....and Man City have done with Grealish, Stones and Phillips 

Its difficult to keep finding gems at Aldi prices.

My suggestion of Hojbjerg, was based on the fact, that he is not a regular starter for Spurs, and we are not blessed as a squad, with players of defensive nous.....They have Skipp, Bentancur, Bissouma, Sarr and Hojbjerg all with CDM qualities.....they may want to cash in with one, and a deal could be modest.

I do get your point about Value for money, and Levy does have a reputation for being hard nosed, but financial pressures can relax that.

anyway, it was only a suggestion, its what UE wants that counts.

It’s not a bad suggestion, especially if we could shift Dendoncker for a decent fee and get a decent deal for someone like Hjojberg (unlikely, and you touched on Levy yourself there)… there’s a big IF there… but I don’t disagree with your general point - I agree that we are lacking in defensive options…

But again, why would we spend heavily on a backup or reserve for Kamara… an inferior player. Spend the money on pure competition or better or look for low cost, high value deals if we’re looking for decent cover… or spend on a young player with high potential…

The examples you have given are the opposite of my view or explanation… as I said… teams with abundant wealth and no real fear of FFP can afford to splash out on PL players and prey on the inferior or less successful teams… it’s how they keep other teams trampled or below them too. We can’t do that.

And I never spoke of “Aldi prices”…  good players will still cost money but their wages may be a bit more modest than established PL players - Pau and Diaby for example. I’m sure that we will continue looking in that sort of market… the sort that can become just as good as the top players for rival teams… stars of our own…

Arsenal took City’s cast offs… and look at the players City brought in and replaced them with… 

Rice was brought in from an inferior team and a player that wanted out and to take a step up… as I explained.

City preyed on inferior teams with the players you have mentioned and again… they wanted to go and take the step up and the riches on offer… Philip was a useless, expensive signing for them too but they can afford to be reckless and burn money… they made a killing on player sales too and replaced them with better in many cases…

Chelsea are the biggest offenders though…

We can’t afford that level of waste… we don’t have that capacity…

Man Utd did that sort of thing for a while… but that’s because they were “on top”… 

We’re not there…

I’m a little surprised you didn’t fully understand or take my point(s) on board but no problem… I probably failed to explain properly…

I am looking from Villa’s perspective… we’re not the same as those clubs… it’s a different scenario altogether… we’re trying to get there…

We can’t take starters from the “big clubs”… it’s the reserves that are being suggested but most of them don’t improve us enough or provide value or worth… this is what I have been focussing on and trying to explain. It’s an easy way to waste money and get burned…

We are trying to be much more intelligent and savvy and that’s why we have Unai, Monchi and all the people working for/around them…

trying to box clever…

and it’s working 😂

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, burchy said:

For me the DM position is a difficult one as there’s not that many decent options out there. We should go for Vermeeren as he’s only 18 and could be our DM for years if we could convince him to join.

Has a low release clause apparently

I am not as sure it is as difficult as we have been making it, We seemed to make the signing of Kamara, a long awaited one....and since we have had him, we all realise how influential he is, but we can't wear him out, as its a demanding/injury laden position to play, not to mention suseptible to yellow cards......we need cover, here, and we need quality cover too. we are in 3 competions to give players game time, not to mention International fixtures.

Some clubs in the Prem, have more than one, and don't seem to have much difficulty in getting them or keeping them happy.

We have never been in a better position, to keep players happy....let's not let it slip.

These players are out there....that's not saying any transfer is easy.

• Like 1

Btw… Kamara was the kind of player and signing we had been crying out for to address a huge deficiency and need…

Made us massively better.. we finally got a quality DM.

Didn’t come from the PL did he?
Pau isn’t doing too bad now is he?

There is more than enough PL experience in this squad now…

Every PL signing isn’t a guarantee either… they can be expensive mistakes…

There is no guarantee… your scouting and research has to be top class, extensive and thorough and well thought out…

Where did Dendoncker come from? Not great is he? Silly signing really…

I trust in Unai and Monchi’s judgement and experience most of all… as long as Unai gets who he wants… we’ll be in the best place…

He is elite and not a chequebook manager, exceptional coach.

Edited by Jas10
  • Like 2