Transfer window success rate. Marks out of 10.

BOF

Pick one  

343 members have voted

1. 1. Pick one

8 - Very happy with the business that has been conducted over the last few months. Started off extremely slowly but picked up a lot, which was good to see.

Most pleased with the signings of Milner, Friedel, Shorey and Cuellar. Luke Young, Sidwell and Guzan are very good acquisitions also - (not going to count Davies because he was already technically at the club). These guys will all add some bite and firepower to the squad, as well as bolstering the overall size of it as well. Think we have around 25/26 senior players now, although some of them currently either have long or short term injuries (shame that two LBs are going to be out for a few more months).

We could do with a new striker in January, depending on our situation then. In the meantime I am happy with the Fonz to play backup to the others (I get the feeling Harewood may leave in January). I am glad that we managed to get rid of players that were no longer needed by the club, or guys that just didn't really want to play (i.e. Maloney).

4. Cuellar: is he better than Davies/Laursen or the man he replaced: Mellberg? No! Bench! --> 0 points

He hasn't even played yet.

Thats actually ludicrous momo, honestly.

I know it seems harsh, but that's the way I see it...

And Cuellar isn't better than Mellberg.

And I gave 1 point because someone gave 10...

Realistically we can agree that the transfers deserves a 5. Remember, we did not get our first choice RB or first choice RW, and most of our buys are only backups.

In my reckoning we are 15% better than last year...which is good!

I wonder why the persons that voted "1" and "4" haven't disclosed their reasons?

come on! i want to hear the reasons behind the 1 point mark given

Good buys to strengthen our squad, but have they really strengthened the team?

I am happy with the buys, except we need an extra forward...The new players are good, but noen of the deserves above 7.

1. Shorey is not as good as Bouma --> 0 points given

2. Guzan is a sub --> 0 points

3. Friedel is old, may last as first choice for just one season, has shown rustiness already-> 2 point

4. Cuellar: is he better than Davies/Laursen or the man he replaced: Mellberg? No! Bench! --> 0 points

5. L. Young: good to have a RB --> 5 points

6. Sidwell gives us strength in depth, but is not a starter unless we use 3 CM and drop one of the three starters we have --> 0 points

7. Milner: Good to have a right winger --> 6 points

8. Davies, already was here last year, so not a reinforcement --> 0 points

9. No striker --> -1

8 players 12 points is 1,5 points average. I gave 1 point because I think the average was so low!!! Don't be mad! This is just my honest opinion. :shock:

If I wasn't on a board where I'd get a yellow card for abuse, i'd call you a total idiot who's looking for attention, but I am so i won't say that.

I will say, however, that if you really rate our window as a 1 out of 10 you are sorely deluded and I fail to see a scenario in which you would even be remotely happy. We have signed 8 quality players this window. i would say the worst player we've signed is Sidwell (albeit I still haven't seen much of Guzan) and if he is the worst then we have done bloody well.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, at the start of the window an extra striker would have been bottom of the list of priorities. it would have been nice, but we have the same strikers that played the VAST majority of last season, and we were fine.

I do however doubt that you really think it's a 1 out of 10, some might think you were looking for attention, but I can't say that.

a 7 for me, or maybe a high 6 ! illWe did well, but, in Freidal, Young, Milner we got players in positions we HAD to fill - we had no one else.

Freidel , happy with - bit worried but happy.

Young - happy with but there was better out there, we mssed Boswinga, Miguel and Ferreira for three - but still happy with Young

Milner - again an expected signing - we needed a RM - personally it would have been Bentley, but awy from him - Milner / SWP either would do - so happy but all these three are expected signings - and ones if we hadn't done you would have been at MOns head

Shorey - still to be convinced but as back up to Bouma fair enough.

Cueller - don't know much about him, can't comment, but thats the one I didnt expect so knocks the score up a bit.

The big one for me - to get an 8 or 9 - we needed a quality scorer - an Owen, or the like - someone that, like Sunday - if you aren't playing well, and you know you are only gonna get one chance - that chance will probably end up in the net.

With that - I'd have been happy.

As it is - I'm content !!

Therefore you rate the transfer as 0 out of 10?

If Ronaldo left Man Utd (assuming he is now the best player in the world) and United replaced him with the second best player in the world (lets say Kaka for arguments sake) would you rate that transfer as 0 out of 10 just because Kaka isn't as good as ronaldo.

There's more holes in your logic than a golf course.

I'm not sure I can quite get my head round how people seem to be saying that getting players in for positions we needed to fill, is somehow not good enough? 'Yeah we got Friedel and Young etc, but we HAD to get those in'. That's good then, surely?

If Ronaldo left Man Utd (assuming he is now the best player in the world) and United replaced him with the second best player in the world (lets say Kaka for arguments sake) would you rate that transfer as 0 out of 10 just because Kaka isn't as good as ronaldo.

Well if he is worse than Ronaldo, than I can't see the strengthening...the transfers have made Man Utd worse off...

Well if he is worse than Ronaldo, than I can't see the strengthening...the transfers have made Man Utd worse off...

So they have failed? If they can't keep a player, and replace him with the next best thing, the transfer is a failure? 0 out of 10?!

In that scenario, that I have painted, how could they get even a 1 out of 10, in your eyes? And if you say "keep Ronaldo" I'll poke them out.

I wonder why the persons that voted "1" and "4" haven't disclosed their reasons?

come on! i want to hear the reasons behind the 1 point mark given

Good buys to strengthen our squad, but have they really strengthened the team?

I am happy with the buys, except we need an extra forward...The new players are good, but noen of the deserves above 7.

1. Shorey is not as good as Bouma --> 0 points given

2. Guzan is a sub --> 0 points

3. Friedel is old, may last as first choice for just one season, has shown rustiness already-> 2 point

5. L. Young: good to have a RB --> 5 points

6. Sidwell gives us strength in depth, but is not a starter unless we use 3 CM and drop one of the three starters we have --> 0 points

7. Milner: Good to have a right winger --> 6 points

8. Davies, already was here last year, so not a reinforcement --> 0 points

9. No striker --> -1

8 players 12 points is 1,5 points average. I gave 1 point because I think the average was so low!!! Don't be mad! This is just my honest opinion. :shock:

If I wasn't on a board where I'd get a yellow card for abuse, i'd call you a total idiot who's looking for attention, but I am so i won't say that.

I will say, however, that if you really rate our window as a 1 out of 10 you are sorely deluded and I fail to see a scenario in which you would even be remotely happy. We have signed 8 quality players this window. i would say the worst player we've signed is Sidwell (albeit I still haven't seen much of Guzan) and if he is the worst then we have done bloody well.

As I have mentioned elsewhere, at the start of the window an extra striker would have been bottom of the list of priorities. it would have been nice, but we have the same strikers that played the VAST majority of last season, and we were fine.

I do however doubt that you really think it's a 1 out of 10, some might think you were looking for attention, but I can't say that.

Someone needs to lighten up a bit here...If I wouldn't get carded for calling you an idiot I would too! I love attention :?

I gave MON a 6.

It was an above average performance in the market. I mean he was expected to bring in some depth to our extremely small squad, and that he did.

Yeah, he did a good job, but I would have been disappointed had he not brought in any of the players he did. It was an almost perfect summer in terms of squad depth, but we still lack a new striker, something I hope MON will address in the January window.

All in all, did his job better than expected. 6.

Someone needs to lighten up a bit here...If I wouldn't get carded for calling you an idiot I would too! I love attention :?

Sorry mate, but your posts are completely ludicrous. i don't often get wound up on here, but you are talking nonsense.

Because - I'm happy we got them - as we would have been buggered if we hadn't

But

Would you have picked Milner over Bentley, personally not

Would you have picked Young over Ferreira or Miguel , maybe Miguel for me, but not PF

Would you have picked Freidal over lets say - Cudducini, or even Robinson, personally not

Going on the fact I thought bouma would be playing - yes I'd have picked Shorey as a back up left back so no issue there.

Guzan - who knows - could make Postma look like Shilton - could be better than Bozzie !

And no striker !!!

So, contented - but no where near an 8 or 9 out of 10 !! - christ, if we had got took over and signed Ronaldo, Torres and Gerrard - what would people have been saying then if they give a 9 out of 10 for nicky Shorey !!

(and, with NUFC 's trouble - I cannot for the life of me understand why we didn't go for owen if we couldn't get Ashton !)

So they have failed? If they can't keep a player, and replace him with the next best thing, the transfer is a failure? 0 out of 10?!

In that scenario, that I have painted, how could they get even a 1 out of 10, in your eyes? And if you say "keep Ronaldo" I'll poke them out.

If they keep Ronaldo and buy Kaka to have him in the reserves, Kaka strengthens the squad, but not the first team...

If they keep Ronaldo and buy Kaka to have him in the reserves, Kaka strengthens the squad, but not the first team...

You haven't answered the question. If Ronaldo left, without United being able to keep him, what could they do for you to rate the transfer anything above 0 out of 10?

Because - I'm happy we got them - as we would have been buggered if we hadn't

But

Would you have picked Milner over Bentley, personally not

Would you have picked Young over Ferreira or Miguel , maybe Miguel for me, but not PF

Would you have picked Freidal over lets say - Cudducini, or even Robinson, personally not

Going on the fact I thought bouma would be playing - yes I'd have picked Shorey as a back up left back so no issue there.

Guzan - who knows - could make Postma look like Shilton - could be better than Bozzie !

And no striker !!!

So, contented - but no where near an 8 or 9 out of 10 !! - christ, if we had got took over and signed Ronaldo, Torres and Gerrard - what would people have been saying then if they give a 9 out of 10 for nicky Shorey !!

(and, with NUFC 's trouble - I cannot for the life of me understand why we didn't go for owen if we couldn't get Ashton !)

understand a lot of your points but I do think you are overreacting.

No i wouldn't have picked Milner over Bentley, but seeing as Bentley was out of our reach, Milner is a very very good signing.

Yes I would have picked Young over Miguel and Ferreira. i don't rate Ferreira at all, and miguel is unproven plus I don't know much about him.

Yes I would have had Friedel over Cuducini and I woudl have picked my **** Gran over Robinson. That's like asking me if I'd rather we'd signed Ashley Young over Didier Agathe!

And I think owen would be poor business. He'd cost us a huge amount in wages, and judging by his recent record would hardly play. but yes, a striker would have been nice.

Overall though, contented is a good word to sum up the window I feel.

I'm not sure I can quite get my head round how people seem to be saying that getting players in for positions we needed to fill, is somehow not good enough? 'Yeah we got Friedel and Young etc, but we HAD to get those in'. That's good then, surely?

Well the way I see it is, a succesful transfer policy would be one of continuously trying to improve the players you have, and increasing competition for places. Hence the signings of Cuellar, Friedel and Guzan were very good bits of business.

However, signing Luke Young was only filling a gaping hole that has been there for way too long., and hence I'm not giving O'Neill any brownie points for finally filling a space he should have two years ago, especially when if we'd bought Young last year he'd have been half the price and would have let us play Mellberg in the centre.

We also have no cover for either full back, either wing, and up front we've only got Harewood. It wasn't a terrible transfer window, but it wasn't a brilliant one either.

I certainly would have picked Milner over Bentley, mainly because we know what we are getting with Milner and have even had a chance to see him in action in an earlier stage of his development - when he was bloody good and worked really hard.

I think the jury is still just a little bit out on whether Bentley is going to show that consistent hard work and commitment to match his skills.

Â